Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports that the early lines for Apple's new iPad mini seem to be shorter than for previous product launches. They note that about 50 people waited at the Apple Store in Sydney, Australia and about 100 or more outside Apple Stores in Tokyo and Seoul. Reuters notes that in the past, the line at the Sydney store "stretched for several blocks" for iPhone launches.

8147122578_6e1a5ba111.jpg
Amsterdam Apple Store / Image by Floris Looijesteijn
Lines were certainly forming in several locations such as Amsterdam (above), as well as Munich and Florida, though the Covent Garden Apple Store reportedly attracted very few customers this morning. The line to Apple's flagship 5th Avenue store also started forming quite late, though launch enthusiasm in New York was certainly tempered due to the devastating effect of Hurricane Sandy on the city earlier this week.

The iPad Mini was available for pre-order starting last week and persisted in availability throughout last weekend. Apple is also launching the 4th Generation iPad today. Both products should be available at retail stores starting at 8am this morning. Of note, the LTE / Cellular enabled version of the iPad Mini will not be available until Mid-November. Only the Wi-Fi version is available today.

Article Link: iPad Mini Launch Attracting Shorter Lines on Launch Day

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Some probably want to check it out in person before buying it.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Perhaps most already have their iPads, and the mini is aimed at consumers who are less likely to camp out for days for a product? That was kinda the feeling I got

maskedelement

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
The line in Hong Kong is indeed short, because you have to win a lottery of "online reserve" to have the right to queue up there.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
I have every flagship product Apple has produced, but I would never buy a non-Retina iPad mini. Since iPhone 4 there's been no going back. There won't ever be. I'd lose my mind.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
Hardly surprising given it's not really a flagship product, it's like queueing for the new iPod touch

I disagree; I had the pleasure of holding one today. It's an incredible design. If it had a Retina display, it would in all likelihood supplant my use for a full sized iPad.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
Well, what do you expect, if you put out a new revision/different moddle twice a year lines will get smaller. Had they waited till April this would be crazy. But i think it´s better like this, you can actualy just get up and buy a new iPad if you feel like it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Shorter lines compared to what? And who, besides media or stupid wall street analysts were expecting long lines at the stores? Why is this even a story? :rolleyes:

iWe

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Well, as much as I dig the iOS it's starting to make the iPads, the iPhones and the iPod Touches pretty old and boring looking in comparison to the competition. iOS seriously needs a proper facelift to make all those iProducts look sexy and desirable again or the lines are gonna keep getting shorter and shorter. The firing of Forstall was of course a positive sign and a move that hopefully leads to a fresher and more daring take on the iOS front sooner than later.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
It'll sell very well considering. Sandy and the financial situation going on now in the north east... Christmas purchases won't happen this early and most want to see it first since its a new product.

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
Fixed the title for you.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2012-11-02 om 11.58.54.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-11-02 om 11.58.54.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 322

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
How is anyone surprised? It's a shrunken old iPad 2 with a low res screen being sold at $329

rdubya5

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
I can attest to this. I'm down here at the Apple store in Spokane and no one is in line.

Very different from other launches from this store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.