Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Hardly surprising given it's not really a flagship product, it's like queueing for the new iPod touch

I disagree; I had the pleasure of holding one today. It's an incredible design. If it had a Retina display, it would in all likelihood supplant my use for a full sized iPad.

Sure, it is really well made, so is the iPod touch. That does not make it a flagship product.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
Maybe people are saving spare cash towards a new iMac. As Apple want to keep people guessing how much they will need to save...

Maybe it's too close to the launch of their old iPad and people are waiting for a redesign over speed bumps

Maybe people just don't want to part cash for another iPad and hoping Santa will bring one..... And pre-ordered online

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
Keyword "if" but it doesn't. The mini is a "mee too" device because so many others are doing smaller tablets...better.

I know that the design and build is so great, but it is technology. I personally do not buy this stuff to put it in a frame or try to sell it in 20 years as a collectors piece. I buy it to use it.

I have a plastic, large bezel Kindle, made by that inferior company Amazon (sarcasm) and I love it. Apple, IMO, needs to get back to really innovating. The iPhone was an innovation. Guess we will see what J.Ive comes up with next.

Paying a premium for a device that has lackluster specs, that will only be around for a year tops, seems silly to me.

I say all this because I have been a loyal Apple fan for over 15 years. But, I recently switched to an Android Galaxy S3 phone from the iphone and I love that too. The Android store is way bigger than Apple fans like to admit. I can honestly say there is not 1 app that I had on my iphone that I did not get on my S3...that I NEEDED.

Sure the Apple app ecosystem has more apps, but I don't need a "fart" app or $999 diamond app. I;m looking for these devices to actually make my life easier (cough: iTunes...terrible)

I plan on geting that plastic Google Nexus 10, cause there is a device with some specs...and a beautiful screen.

OK, let the flaming begin....

Considering it crushes the Nexus 7 I owned, I'd hardly call it a 'me too' device; it has literally everything the full iPad has except for the raw power and resolution. The benefits it has over its competition, however, are so glaringly obvious that said competition hardly matters. And please, don't try to pull the GS3 BS on me; I own one and develop for Android as well as iOS. In terms of actual usability and experience in everyday use, it competes with the iPhone 4 (but ohgod the awful size). I wouldn't in my wildest dreams call it a competitor for the iPhone 4S let alone 5. If you like it purely for the sake of it being 'it', sure, go ahead; it's build quality is terrible, the I can't stand the OS (4.2 is an improvement, but in actual use and quality third party support it's still terrible), and the form factor is unwieldy and clumsy. Only thing it has is NFC, and that's more of a gimmick than anything else. The Nexus 10 will just be a slight refinement of the 7 with more grunt, whoopty doo. It'll still be cheap, flimsy with a lackluster OS implementation, good for nothing but getting spec monkeys to herp derp about benefits that are so insignificant when viewed from a distance. The only thing I really care about specs in is my desktop, which I use primarily for my power-gaming. One more thing about the Nexus 10; if the 7 is anything to go on, the display will have resolution on its side and that's it; colour and image response will be awful.

iCraigy

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
The Newcastle Apple store in the UK had 50-60 people waiting in line this morning for the launch. When "the new iPad" launched it was closer to 200.

Tho I have to say that overall (excluding the fact it's not a retina screen) I'm impressed with the look, weight and feel of iPad mini.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I'm kinda hoping sales are a bit lackluster, if only to encourage a price drop of $80 to get it to where it should be. Then I'll take two :D

The mini is crippled for marketing reasons, and not much of a value.

Apple has "jumped the shark" with their obvious crippling of their new products, especially the new iMac as well as this new mini tablet.

This. It just doesn't feel like Apple was doing its best work. More like it purposefully held back on what it's capable of, and that doesn't sit well with me.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Lincoln Road Apple Store in Miami.
I am here for a black 32GB iPad mini and a white 16GB mini.
As far as I hear, they have no iPhone 5's left an there are only like 50 people ahead of me...
The stores still don't have any iPhone 5s in stock, they do get some in but those get reserved online pretty quickly.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
The line at the Roosevelt Field store is quite short. :eek:

EDIT: People are pouring in now.

Last edited:

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I think this was to be expected, the iPad mini is certainly a cool device, but it's not really something new. Still, I think it will be a huge hit.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Keyword "if" but it doesn't. The mini is a "mee too" device because so many others are doing smaller tablets...better.

I know that the design and build is so great, but it is technology. I personally do not buy this stuff to put it in a frame or try to sell it in 20 years as a collectors piece. I buy it to use it.

I have a plastic, large bezel Kindle, made by that inferior company Amazon (sarcasm) and I love it. Apple, IMO, needs to get back to really innovating. The iPhone was an innovation. Guess we will see what J.Ive comes up with next.

Paying a premium for a device that has lackluster specs, that will only be around for a year tops, seems silly to me.

I say all this because I have been a loyal Apple fan for over 15 years. But, I recently switched to an Android Galaxy S3 phone from the iphone and I love that too. The Android store is way bigger than Apple fans like to admit. I can honestly say there is not 1 app that I had on my iphone that I did not get on my S3...that I NEEDED.

Sure the Apple app ecosystem has more apps, but I don't need a "fart" app or $999 diamond app. I;m looking for these devices to actually make my life easier (cough: iTunes...terrible)

I plan on geting that plastic Google Nexus 10, cause there is a device with some specs...and a beautiful screen.

Good luck with your future purchases, I honestly don't know why you bothered to comment or even read the article maybe your just insecure about your choices of technology or just generally insecure. In future maybe you would be better sticking to the Nexus and Fire forums as you obviously seem to have a problem with some sort of personal inadequacy :rolleyes:

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I'm in line at best buy for the iPad 4, 8am opening

There are 3 people waiting in their cars as opposed to about 20+ for the iPad 3 launch and the store opens in 15 minutes

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's November, probably the busiest month for everyone, whether you're in work or at school. I think most can't afford to miss half a day of work when they're going to get a whole week off in a few weeks time. Plus, Christmas is around the corner and there won't be shortages of these by December. Any other time and it would have been different.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I was 13th in line at 7:20am at a store near Atlanta. The first two arrived at 10:00pm night before. 19 people now at 7:45. Apple bought a cartfull of Starbucks coffee for us.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I feel that the mini will be one of those products that end up selling more and more and more with time, as people either start to become up for a "renewal" with their current iPad, or actually are able to get their hands on one and then purchase one from there.

Word of mouth and experience will sell this more than just hype, I think.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I am at my local Best Buy and there are just two of us in line. We're in the suburbs of Chicago so it's not a small town thing either.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

No flaming...but...

Yes, the Nexus 10 has specs....and no tablet apps. I say this as the owner of an Android tablet running ICS (Cyanogenmod 9). I enjoy mine, and it's nice as a diversion, but first off FINDING tablet apps in the Play store is damn near impossible if they aren't on the Google Staff Picks for Tablets list, and the ones that DO exist are pretty clunky overall. There are some good things, some nice functionality, but the design of these apps is horrid compared to the iPad (which I don't own, but I've used many, many times). When I first got my tablet, I was very excited. WIDGETS! Live Wallpapers! Loads of apps! (though, I never felt any desire to switch from my iPhone to an Android phone).

Then all the little annoyances started creeping in. The lack of polish in tablet apps...the fact that you can't find anything on the Play store, the differing interfaces between apps (yes, that's getting better, but it's got a long way to go).

The long and short of it? After a little more than a year of Android as my sole tablet platform, I found myself picking it up less and less because it sort of annoyed me. None of these faults are big faults. There are just a lot of little things that add up. And so, I'm getting an iPad Mini to replace it. (I'm also tired of the 10" size, especially for reading...the smaller size will be nice). Had I stuck with Android, I'd have gotten a Nexus 7, but I want that tablet ecosystem and polish I get with my iPhone.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Good luck with your future purchases, I honestly don't know why you bothered to comment or even read the article maybe your* just insecure about your choices of technology or just generally insecure. In future maybe you would be better sticking to the Nexus and Fire forums as you obviously seem to have a problem with some sort of personal inadequacy :rolleyes:

It's called an opinion. Yes, that's right, even if you don't agree with them, they have every right to express themselves and it's still an opinion.

*Since it seems you have some difficulty with the difference between your and you're, I'll assume you need some help with this...

Opinion, noun
def: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter.

You stating that they are "insecure" and have "some sort of personal inadequacy" is nothing more than a baseless and pathetic ad hominem.

Last edited:

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Are you even serious? The Apple ecosystem is way better because it has tons of quality apps that give a full tablet experience that will enhance your productivity. Not because of some gimmick apps you listed.

Apple ecosystem is better because of quality, not because of quantity (even though quantity is better as well).

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Many are saying the Mini should have been $299 (some are saying less) but would $30 really make a difference for most customers?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Has anyone bitched about how it doesn't fit in your pocket? Remember those weird iPad critics that claimed it would flop because it wasn't portable via back pocket? It was strange.

The iPad Mini is just a step in the marketing scheme of Apple, not a primary product. However, Apple is screwing up bad this year by pricing the iPT so high. There is a giant gap between shuffle and nano, nano and touch, and then everything is close in price; close enough to destroy the iPod Touch market and heavily limit the success of the iPad mini.

iPad-mini-pocket-440x480.jpg

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I understand standing in line for a totally brand new product, the 1st generation of something, there's a sense of excitement to that. Makes sense to me that the lines are shorted, common sense is kicking in.

tomsamson

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
The device has great fit & finish, so exterior product quality seems great as usual, but Apple made a lot of people (including me) more cautious regarding when it is a good time to buy an iOS device after launching the iPad 4 so shortly after the iPad 3.
Add on top that even not that well informed people to large degree know this is basically the hardware internals of the iPad 2, so the version with the internals of the 3 or 4 are basically a given for coming in a year if not again in way less time, makes much less people be into hurrying out to get one right away.
The competition also has more attractive devices than ever, the first time where they can compete on both better specs on many ends and better price at the same time as much as now.
Apple will surely still sell a huge load of iPad (mini)s, just not have the same huge craze for them in the scale they had em for some previous devices.
I'd like to have an iPad mini, too, but like for many others, i already have more than one large iPad so the high price of the mini combined with Apple's meanwhile completely off the rails upgrade cycle and the mini basically having two generations old hardware internals (so the "mandatory" upgrade being a given) doesn't exactly entice me to run out and get one asap.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The media and anti-Apple trolls will have a field day, but can't say Apple doesn't deserve it this round. It's really not a "gotta have it right now" product. Ultimately, sales will be great this quarter and that is all that matters.

But I hope Apple is taking note. They need to beef up the screen and proc. next round. Instead of a mini iPad and iPad retina line they need an iPad and iPad Pro line. Sell both sizes like the MBP, but one as a "budget" model, and the other with all the tech bells and whistles. The mini shouldn't be hobbled by a two year old proc and 512GB RAM just because it's smaller.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Has anyone bitched about how it doesn't fit in your pocket? Remember those weird iPad critics that claimed it would flop because it wasn't portable via back pocket? It was strange.

The iPad Mini is just a step in the marketing scheme of Apple, not a primary product. However, Apple is screwing up bad this year by pricing the iPT so high. There is a giant gap between shuffle and nano, nano and touch, and then everything is close in price; close enough to destroy the iPod Touch market and heavily limit the success of the iPad mini.
I can't believe there are still people out there who predict failure because 'Apple prices it too high'. I mean, come on, Apple product have been more expensive than competitors since the beginning of time, and yet almost all products are far more popular than competitors.

I think the iPad mini will be a huge succes. The main reason is shown below. Now add a far better build quality, very nice design, the AppStore which is superior when it comes to tablets, etc.

iPad-mini-keynote-Phil-Schiller-Nexus-7-comparison-001.jpg

nexus.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.