Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redspear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
I bought IPAD 4 (coming from IPAD3) and i'm restoring my previous definitions /aplications..

My first thoughts:
- It's much more fluid (the scrolling is quicker, the browsing, zoom in, etc)
- Wifi is faster (web browsing experience is much better)
- Frontal camera is much better (the older one was low res...)

Last edited:

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
I bought IPAD 4 (coming from IPAD3) and i'm restoring my previous definitions /aplications..

My first thoughts:
- It's much more fluid (the scrolling is quicker, the browsing, zoom in, etc)
- Wifi is faster (web browsing experience is much better)
- Frontal is much better (the older one was low res...)

? iPad 3 was low resolution? Please explain. Did Apple upgrade the iPad 4 panel or are you implying LG > Samsung?

redspear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
? iPad 3 was low resolution? Please explain. Did Apple upgrade the iPad 4 panel or are you implying LG > Samsung?

I was refering to the frontal camera (just updated my previous message)

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009

He's talking about the camera, which is now 720p. The old one was indeed atrocious - not just on the iPad 3, but the iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPod Touch 4.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My overall first impression is the speed hike, boy is this thing fast, a really noticeable performance hit. Multi apps are smooth, the typing is faster and more accurate, in short this is what the ipad3 should have been..For anybody who thinks this is just a small update, you really need to try one, it flies, and I'm not so easily impressed. It does make you wonder why this wasn't the three, and completely explains why Apple have pulled it from sale....Head to head, the three just wouldn't stand a chance up against this.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
My overall first impression is the speed hike, boy is this thing fast, a really noticeable performance hit. Multi apps are smooth, the typing is faster and more accurate, in short this is what the ipad3 should have been..For anybody who thinks this is just a small update, you really need to try one, it flies, and I'm not so easily impressed. It does make you wonder why this wasn't the three, and completely explains why Apple have pulled it from sale....Head to head, the three just wouldn't stand a chance up against this.

This is what my feeling was when it was announced.

Plus, that speed boost sets Apple ahead of the game for another year. That will let battery tech gain some ground, and allow for a total redesign for the iPad 5.

----------

is syncing photos/music/apps through iTunes any faster with the iPad 4 over the 3?

I'd like to know this as well. It seemed horrendously slow on the 3...

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
This is what my feeling was when it was announced.

Plus, that speed boost sets Apple ahead of the game for another year. That will let battery tech gain some ground, and allow for a total redesign for the iPad 5.

----------

I'd like to know this as well. It seemed horrendously slow on the 3...

agreed.. especially photos it took a good 30 minutes or more to sync at least 1000 photos.

redspear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
is syncing photos/music/apps through iTunes any faster with the iPad 4 over the 3?

I have iTunes match , and the syncing in iTunes was almost automatic (but it doesn't download almost anything besides the album names & convers).

Photo syncing was very fast (aroung 100 photos & two 30 second videos).

App syncing (with wifi) was not as fast as i would expected, but it must be because a lot of people as myself must be at this time syncing all their apps.

hobx

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Another thrilled upgrader here. I can really speed increase over the 3rd gen. Newstand magazines (Like engadget distro) which were sluggish before are zipping around, as does app switching.

All the reviews I read seem to indicate that usb transfers would not be increased, but I restored my profile from my backup and I'm sure it took about half the time it used to. Anybody else finding this?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Copying 500 photos took approximately 2 minutes, that seems faster, but I never really took a lot of notice before...start it going and make coffee was the usual routine...I think it is faster but I can't swear to it.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
Copying 500 photos took approximately 2 minutes, that seems faster, but I never really took a lot of notice before...start it going and make coffee was the usual routine...I think it is faster but I can't swear to it.

did you have the iPhoto cache folder? that makes them go faster.. I deleted mine from the photos I will be adding and wondering if that will be fast.

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
gave my iPad3 away.. bought an iPad4, mainly cuz I hope it´s faster when transferring movies, etc from our NAS :cool:
will arrive next week, cheers

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
iPhone 4 camera sucked? Um no.

http://www.thomasjknight.com/images.html#

All taken with an iP4

I just got off FaceTime with a buddy in Boston who also got his 4 today...The HD camera is also a hell of an improvement too. As far as I can tell, I can't find any flaws in this at all...The only gripe is the fact that this should have been the 3. Folks coming from the 2 to this, and who kept their money when the 3 was released sure did the right thing.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I just got off FaceTime with a buddy in Boston who also got his 4 today...The HD camera is also a hell of an improvement too. As far as I can tell, I can't find any flaws in this at all...The only gripe is the fact that this should have been the 3. Folks coming from the 2 to this, and who kept their money when the 3 was released sure did the right thing.

Oh sure, just KEEP talking about how great it is while mine is still driving around in the FedEx truck ...

... :D

----------

I love my iPad 4. Not much different to my first gen iPad though. ;(

Wat?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Keep looking out the window...it will come..:D

Hahaha, thanks. I was surprised how much I use my iPad: my 3rd gen shipped out on Tuesday (and was boxed since Monday), so I keep thinking, "Let me grab my .... oh yeah ... well, dammit, where's my iPhone ..."

Our deliveries tend to be late out here at the beach, though the it did say before 4:30p (it's usually closer to 6:30-7p!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.