Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glap1922

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
This has been Apple's stance the entire life of the app store.

Does that mean it is a good stance? Developer identifies a need/want and fills it, only to then be cast aside because apple decided that it is no longer needed. Imagine if another company did that, people be freaking out.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I really can't stand those things. I wish there was a way to turn them off completely, everywhere, on every device and in every browser. I never really cared for : ) and all the other permutations, but the full color pictures are even worse. In my opinion. I guess I am the only one who hates emoticons and emoji.

glap1922

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I really can't stand those things. I wish there was a way to turn them off completely, everywhere, on every device and in every browser. I never really cared for : ) and all the other permutations, but the full color pictures are even worse. In my opinion. I guess I am the only one who hates emoticons and emoji.

You aren't alone...

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Theres no need for an app developer to make money on an app that comes standard in iOS!

If your iPhone cant be updated, tuff luck.
Apple has supported your iPhone for 2+ years - get a new one.

If you dont want to update, thats YOUR CHOICE - again, dont complain that you cant get the app now.

BRAVO APPLE!!!

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
What about people with older devices that don't want to or can't upgrade to iOS 6?

They can use them in 5 or not use them at all. Or switch to Android, choices are awesome.

It's not like they are removing the ability to receive WiFi signals from those devices, sheesh

But for those of you suffering from emoticon withdrawal I offer the following:

;):D:eek::(:):eek::confused::):eek::cool::p :mad: :apple: and finally :rolleyes:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Theres no need for an app developer to make money on an app that comes standard in iOS!

If your iPhone cant be updated, tuff luck.
Apple has supported your iPhone for 2+ years - get a new one.

If you dont want to update, thats YOUR CHOICE - again, dont complain that you cant get the app now.

BRAVO APPLE!!!

Please tell me how it hurts anyone to have these apps in the market. Are you going to suffer some sort of damages because there are apps YOU don't need or are willing to buy?

If so - maybe Apple should delete every app YOU personally won't ever need. BRAVO indeed :rolleyes:

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Does that mean it is a good stance? Developer identifies a need/want and fills it, only to then be cast aside because apple decided that it is no longer needed. Imagine if another company did that, people be freaking out.

I didn't say it was good. It just shouldn't be a surprise. It is clearly stated and is a risk you take when you enter that market.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I always cringed when I saw the reviews of those emoji apps:

"This iS tEh besT eVAr!! SO fuN! DowNloaD ThiS aPp NOw!"

Meanwhile, these idiots paid $.99 - $1.99 for nothing more than an app with a set of instructions on how to enable what was already present on their phone. It's about time Apple pulled the plug on these shady apps.

It is like charging for an app that "unlocks" bluetooth, that's nothing more than instructions on how to turn BT on. Preying on the uninformed. Sad.

Oh, and I fell victim to this as well a few years back. Didn't know any better and when I found out, I felt real dumb. It's unfortunate that anyone makes money off of this.

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
These apps were such a scam. Only iOS users could see them when received lol. I just use copy and paste's site for symbols when texting another non iOS device.

actually any smartphone can display those "iOS" emojis by now

---

by the way, how did apple come up with those categories? what does a bell icon have to do with food for example? always baffles my mind

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
So here's a silly question:

How do you use Emoji's without the apps?

Ooops, already answererd

----------

actually any smartphone can display those "iOS" emojis by now

---

by the way, how did apple come up with those categories? what does a bell icon have to do with food for example? always baffles my mind

Maybe a Dinner bell? or
Pavlov's bell signaling food coming for his dogs?

(Maybe they should have the bell link to their coming soon page for new hardware to get the salivating started? :))

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why was Emoji ever a Japanese-only thing in the first place anyway? They're just pictures, usable by any culture with any language.

I'm glad they're on all phones now because it's a bit ridiculous to restrict something non-language-specific to a single language.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Please tell me how it hurts anyone to have these apps in the market. Are you going to suffer some sort of damages because there are apps YOU don't need or are willing to buy?

If so - maybe Apple should delete every app YOU personally won't ever need. BRAVO indeed :rolleyes:

It hurts because these apps clog up the market with 'apps' that are already available on iOS 5 & 6.

Either way - Apple sides with me and thats all that matters.

Go away.

settings - general - keyboard - international keyboards - add new keyboard - emoji

Then, use the new globe button on your standard keyboard to access the emoji keyboard

don't feel bad, I just found out too..

I always knew how to enable mine, but I quoted you so your set of instructions doesnt go un-noticed.

ryuok

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Hong Kong
It's about time Apple stop these Emoji scams.

These apps have nothing to do with adding Emoji icons. They didn't invent them, and their apps certainly don't carry them. Emoji icons are built into all iOS, and starting from iOS5 enabled for users outside Japan as well.

All you have to do is to enable the Emoji keyboard form International Setting of your phone. Why pay $1 for an app to do that for you when you can switch it on with a few clicks?

These apps try to present themselves as if they come with the icons, which without the app won't be available. God knows how much money they have made out of doing nothing, but judging by the ranking I would say not a little.

geeksweep

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I didn't say it was good. It just shouldn't be a surprise. It is clearly stated and is a risk you take when you enter that market.

then the developer should get his $99 back. if we invested in building a suite of tools and apple yanks them because they decide to implement what you wrote, therefore you cant make any more money off of it then do i get my $99 back?

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
then the developer should get his $99 back. if we invested in building a suite of tools and apple yanks them because they decide to implement what you wrote, therefore you cant make any more money off of it then do i get my $99 back?

Why get your $99 back when all you do is provide a set of instructions for something that comes STOCK ON APPLE DEVICES!!??

If anything, the emoji people should pay Apple back for all the $$$ they swindled out of people who knew no better.

Best part is now when I scroll thru the top 100 free & paid apps, i wont have to see those bologna emoji apps anymore :cool:

Mundty

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
I'm glad they did this, these are the kind of garbage apps that flood the Android App stores. Google should take some notes from Apple on this one, and remove apps like this.

jdodoubleg

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Washington
Why is this news?

I've been using the Apple imoji icons since I got my iphone 4. Its been there for over 2 years people. This isn't new stuff.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It hurts because these apps clog up the market with 'apps' that are already available on iOS 5 & 6.

Either way - Apple sides with me and thats all that matters.

Go away.

Go away? How charming. I'm so glad Apple "sides" with you. You realize it's the other way around. You're siding with Apple since they made the decision.

And the app market has a lot more problems that Emoji apps. It's like removing a cup of water from a flooded basement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.