Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
i think this is actually criminal. I actually struggled to watch him destroying them. The nexus didnt bother me though lol

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Didn't survive the stomped on by Elephant test. Back to the drawing board

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
its called viral marketing, people will repost and reblog those videos. its pretty smart to get the name of your company spread all over the internet actually.

breaking one iPad is no loss to them

Finally. These videos probably pay for themselves. Getting hits/subscribers on YouTube gets you $$$ when you're a YouTube Partner.

I'd be making cash if I was able to get the first drop test video on YouTube, that's for sure.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
He could have at least tried to be a little scientific. For 3 different drops you need 3 of each of the devices, you already dropped them during the first round.

Men shouldn't wear sandals unless they are at the beach...:rolleyes:

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
i'm actually not surprised people do these drop tests. ever seen how insurance companies test if your device was really unintentionally dropped?

they break up to 5 iPhones just to see if it shatters the same way. ironically they may as well just have given u a new iPhone instead of breaking 4 more

Except they can reuse those results for thousands and thousands of similar claims, since you aren't the only person in the universe

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Well no surprises here, of course these things are going to smash if you drop them on the ground they're made of glass. I am surprised it still worked after dunking it in water though. I guess its a case of this one did but don't try this at home kids.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Except they can reuse those results for thousands and thousands of similar claims, since you aren't the only person in the universe

so? i dont think the people in those videos are gonna break iPads on a daily basis either

they are in the business of repairing iPads, it seems only reasonable to break a few to promote your company

Wingsy

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2007
Still Not A Fair Test

Although the SquareTrade tests seemed a bit more fair, it still wasn't. All the tablets didn't land the same way even from their home-built drop test stand. If you freeze the video at the moment of impact (2nd drop test) you'll see the Nexus hit at an angle about 30 degrees from level and the iPad Mini was at about a 10 degree angle.

I think a fair test would be to suspend the tablets from a line and hit them in exactly the same location with a swinging (round) weight from a fixed height.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
why are y'all acting like drop tests are a new thing?

Android Authority has been going down hill lately though. I feel like they're trying too hard to reach a wider audience. Other Android blogs are way better.

KrakaJap

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
1: These are not tests to see, simply, whether or not the glass will break. They are tests of durability. People should really give themselves more credit and not think that these video posters believe everyone who watches them are retarded to think this is the only goal of the test. How much the screen shatters while still retaining usability (not to mention all the innards) is the purpose. This information could easily sway your decision on either the device or the quality of case you choose to wrap around it. Yes, we all know **** breaks when you drop it... even my 3 year old knows this so why don't we move on and look at the larger scope of these tests.

2: That said, none of these tests are 100% conclusive... especially when done outside in a non-controlled environment. None of them that I've watched took into account the weight of the device, nor did they drop at precisely the same speed, angle, etc. Since all the devices are different (in shape, weight, and materials), I would venture to say that it would be damn near impossible to get conclusive results in a 5 minute test. There is also the huge factor that most of these tests are done back to back: dropping a device once might not produce any significant outward damage but could easily make the device FAR more susceptible to greater damage the second time. So if testing the devices resistance to compounding damage and multiple drops is your goal, this would be fairly acceptable but individual types of drops should be tested on fresh devices each time if your goal is to test a specific type of drop (which is the case in almost every test I've seen). For example... scratch tests: I would like to see a scratch test that determines the amount of scratching or time it takes for a screen to actually produce a scratch. Oleophobic coatings are exactly as the name implies... "coatings". These coatings wear off over time so a simple 2 minute scratch test only proves that if your screen comes into contact with something sharp for less than 2 minutes it will come out unscathed. In other words... so long as you never touch your screen with any form of material (including your dirty finger) longer than 2 minutes over the ENTIRE life of your device you'll be fine. :) Great! That's awesome news!

Common sense I would think

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Some people don't have enough to do. If you drive a Lincoln into a concrete wall at 80, it will get mashed. If you kick a brick with your bare foot it will hurt. If you put your hand on a red hot stove you will get burned. Yeah, it's all rocket science.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Oh well. Molly Wood on "Always On" tries to destroy hardware on a weekly basis. Drop test from various heights, sliding a slate iphone5 across concrete to see if it scratches (guess what there?), baking it, freezing it, dunking it, setting a macbook air on top of a car and driving off as it falls off the back and hits the pavement (the case sprung open at the hinge from that, so of course next is the dunk test; surprise: it didn't survive that!). Not just apple; she abuses everything! One thing I learned from one of these: don't drop a Kindle Fire; it won't do well. Of course my simple advice is if you don't want to break your electronics, well, just don't damn drop it!

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Ah thank goodness it was drunk tested so soon, this was the only thing holding me back from buying it :rolleyes:

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
He could have at least tried to be a little scientific. For 3 different drops you need 3 of each of the devices, you already dropped them during the first round.

Men shouldn't wear sandals unless they are at the beach...:rolleyes:

Oh, please, wise fashion guru... Tell me more. You seem like you lack confidence in your masculinity.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
1: These are not tests to see, simply, whether or not the glass will break. They are tests of durability. People should really give themselves more credit and not think that these video posters believe everyone who watches them are retarded...
2: That said, none of these tests are 100% conclusive...

In short, these are useful tests that are pretty much useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.