Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Apple deserved to lose... they picked this fight to begin with! The initial cease and desist lawsuit against iFone was a real scumbag move by Apple.

Reminds me of Monster Cable suing every company that used the term "Monster" for anything!

Apple is nothing more than a trademark troll, plain and simple.

Don't know about anyone else but companies sticking and "i" in front of their product/company name leaching off Apples success deserves everything they get.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
What a douche move by Apple.
Sending a cease and desist letter to a company that had the name rights a full 6 years earlier.

Glad to see the courts not fall for this corporate bully crap.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
This is too funny.

Apple just can't win. Someone there needs to trademark the i prefix in every country so this doesn't happen again.

Why are other companies using the i prefix for any of their products? What does the i even stand for anyway?? Did someone Apple come up with "i-anything" before Apple (other than Cisco IOS, which stands for something else entirely)?

Seriously, anyone know?

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
Ha!

Sometimes bringing a lawsuit is just a stupid thing to do. Mea Culpa.

Not much room for confusion with this one, visually anyway. Besides, iFone was first to the party. Would have been better to enter into an agreement with them, back before the iPhone launched, now it's gonna cost (is costing) a bundle.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
This is too funny.

Apple just can't win. Someone there needs to trademark the i prefix in every country so this doesn't happen again.

Why are other companies using the i prefix for any of their products? What does the i even stand for anyway?? Did someone Apple come up with "i-anything" before Apple (other than Cisco IOS, which stands for something else entirely)?

Seriously, anyone know?

Why should Apple win? This company was using iFone long before the iPhone came around.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Don't know about anyone else but companies sticking and "i" in front of their product/company name leaching off Apples success deserves everything they get.

Apples success of iProducts in 2003? What was there, only like an iMac or something. iPhone didn't come out until 2007. How is this leaching off Apple's success? Please stop trying to defend corporate companies when they are in the wrong.

----------

Sometimes bringing a lawsuit is just a stupid thing to do. Mea Culpa.

Not much room for confusion with this one, visually anyway. Besides, iFone was first to the party. Would have been better to enter into an agreement with them, back before the iPhone launched, now it's gonna cost (is costing) a bundle.

Apple did this with IOS and Cisco. Cisco had IOS for their router operating system for a long time, and then Apple licensed the name or bought it. They should have attempted the same thing here instead of trying to sue them to stop being a company...

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
This is too funny.

Seriously, anyone know?
I don't think prefixes should be trademark-able. Microsoft could trademark x-, Apple i-, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
News just in:

Apple sues customer for playing with friends Android

:rolleyes:

Enough with the lawsuits already.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Apples success of iProducts in 2003? What was there, only like an iMac or something. iPhone didn't come out until 2007. How is this leaching off Apple's success? Please stop trying to defend corporate companies when they are in the wrong.

Yeah, and the iMac was ****, eh? :rolleyes:

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
LMFAO, Apple tried to ****** over this business and they got bit. I hope iFone now sues them for a billion dollars.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
This is a far better decision than Apple forcing this company (which predates the iPhone by at least three years) to go through a costly rebranding process.

Regardless, based on their website, "i Fone", doesn't compete with Apple on any level, so I'd expect that they can both negotiate a reasonable settlement.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Sorry, but Apple started this fight. My sympathy is zero.

Apple should know to leave well enough alone. They are mind-blowingly successful, yet they keep acting like douchebags with the lawsuits.

Get over it, Apple. Concentrate on making great products, that's all you need to succeed. Stop picking on smaller companies.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Apple deserved to lose... they picked this fight to begin with! The initial cease and desist lawsuit against iFone was a real scumbag move by Apple.

Reminds me of Monster Cable suing every company that used the term "Monster" for anything!

Apple is nothing more than a trademark troll, plain and simple.

No, it isn't simple as that. First, Apple does have products and they do sell them, so they're not a troll.

Secondly, in some countries including USA, if Apple does not fight to protect its trademark, they forfeit their trademark automatically. Apple fought in Mexico to protect its original "iPhone" trademark. 'iFone' is now counter-suing Apple because "iPhone" sounds similar to their 'iFone' trademark.

Apple simply preemptively sued iFone because they knew iFone will eventually sue (they're required to or they'll lose against Apple automatically).

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, and the iMac was ****, eh? :rolleyes:

I didn't even say that, eh? All I said is that is the only iProduct I can remember from 2003 is the iMac. Isn't this a telecommunication company? If so, what does an iMac have to do with an iFone in 2003 or now? Apple has no rights in Mexico to sue this company that clearly came out before any mention of iPhone came out. If the company knew Apple was making something called iPhone, maybe they would have something. They didn't, and Apple is not in the right in this case.

----------

No, it isn't simple as that. First, Apple does have products and they do sell them, so they're not a troll.

Secondly, in some countries including USA, if Apple does not fight to protect its trademark, they forfeit their trademark automatically. Apple fought in Mexico to protect its original "iPhone" trademark. 'iFone' is now counter-suing Apple because "iPhone" sounds similar to their 'iFone' trademark.

Apple simply preemptively sued iFone because they knew iFone will eventually sue (they're required to or they'll lose against Apple automatically).

Why?

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
It was registered in 2003, when Apple wasn't that popular. And since when did Apple also own the letter i? No other company can use i in its name?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.