Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it. :eek:

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Actually you are bashing it.

"Unusable?" Really?

People are out of their homes after a Hurricane, people starve all over the world and your biggest problem is that the pixels are too big for you?

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Actually you are bashing it.

"Unusable?" Really?

People are out of their homes after a Hurricane, people starve all over the world and your biggest problem is that the pixels are too big for you?

People are homeless and starving all over the world EVERY DAY. I see them every day, and help when I can. By your logic, I should never complain about anything as long as I have something to eat.

Sorry for discussing an Apple product on MacRumors. Next time I'll make a thread about world peace in the iPad section.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I appreciate the honest reviews.

I'll take a range of opinions over people just fawning over everything that comes out.

By most accounts it appears the screen is a compromise. And it's something each potential buying should weigh in making their purchasing decision. For some it's no big deal, for others it's a deal breaker.

But I'd rather people be honest with their opinions than just expect everyone to grab their pom poms for everything that comes out.

Eric5964

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Southeast Michigan
The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it. :eek:

We're you expecting anything different? They were upfront with us on the display, so why did you order one? Unusable....that's just silly. Was your iPad 2 "unusable"? It's also $329, so what did you expect, top of the line everything? Again, silly.

EricE

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Stop staring and start actually using one.

If you spend your time comparing it to something that is physically different it may look better or worse.

Mine looks a little better then my iPad 2 and tens of millions thought the iPad 2 is or was just fine.

So me thinks the problem must be that the mini just isn't right for you.

Link bate

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
If you don't want an iPad mini, don't buy it. If you bought one and you don't like it.. bring it back... back to the Apple Store. /song

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA

I think you're psychologically building this up. :p

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

You look a bit old for this sort of thing :D
I can't even tell the difference between the 4 and 2. Maybe I need new reading glasses. But then again, I can read fine. Go figure

Or maybe it's just that its a tool not the Second Coming

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
People are homeless and starving all over the world EVERY DAY. I see them every day, and help when I can. By your logic, I should never complain about anything as long as I have something to eat.

Sorry for discussing an Apple product on MacRumors. Next time I'll make a thread about world peace in the iPad section.

By all means discuss but don't sensationalize. The thread title and the label of "unusable" is pretty over the top don't you think?

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing.

Well that does say it all - It is an individual thing here. Some people may not like it; others will.

I am used to my 'retina' iPhone display, but reading on the mini (which I did 6hours of during this morning) is ok for me. I find it crisper than the old iPad2 and its fine.

I think it will have a screen update in the next revision; but its quite acceptable for me.

Compared to the Tab 7 I had this is a much nicer format.

Each to his or her own I say - :)

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
I appreciate the honest reviews.

I'll take a range of opinions over people just fawning over everything that comes out.

By most accounts it appears the screen is a compromise. And it's something each potential buying should weigh in making their purchasing decision. For some it's no big deal, for others it's a deal breaker.

But I'd rather people be honest with their opinions than just expect everyone to grab their pom poms for everything that comes out.

That's all I'm trying to say. Thank you for thinking rationally while reading the thread. :)

We're you expecting anything different? They were upfront with us on the display, so why did you order one? Unusable....that's just silly. Was your iPad 2 "unusable"? It's also $329, so what did you expect, top of the line everything? Again, silly.

EricE

I wasn't expecting anything more. I didn't buy an iPad 2 because of the same issue. I couldn't go from a retina iPhone to a non retina iPad. That's just the way I am, and I know there are a ton of others here who are the same way.

The iPad Mini will have a retina display soon and its price isn't going to go up. It will still be $329.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Its same or better than iPad 1 and iPad 2.
Which sold millions and no one is complaining.
We still have those models and they are just fine.
Mini will be fine too.
Even if there will be retina mini in fall 2013, the previous mini still be sold. There are still iPhones 3gs being used by millions. Thats the way Apple works. Until Apple, everyone had low resolution and the whole computing world was and still using 1024 displays just fine.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009

Clearly a troll, and a pathetic one at that.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Craig Federghi or whatever looks like a dbag?

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Just looking at the Mrs' 3GS...

Not sure I'd want to go back to that res to be honest. It's apples fault for giving us retina in the first place; we're just spoiled now.

I'd need to see one in person before deciding if I'd like it.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
The iPad Mini screen looks better than my iPad 1 screen, my MacBook Pro screen, my acer iconia screen, and my PC laptop screens.

Then again, my acer iconia screen and former galaxy tab screen were crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.