Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
So after having just upgraded from a 3GS to an iPhone 5 I have spent a lot of time playing around on Siri. Very impressed so far but the main thing thats annoying me is I cannot get it to set up location based reminders for me. It just keeps saying, I can remind you when you leave or arrive at home, work, gym etc. But when I say remind me when I leave home he just repeats the message and I keep going in circles.
photo_3.jpg

Any suggestions or is it a bug?

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Do you have the locations setup as contacts? I believe for this to work the locations have to be saved as contacts. If you do a search on maps and find the location(s), save them to contacts and it should work. I have a 4 (no Siri) and I can manually setup location based reminders that way. I'm sure Siri can do it too.

brysingh

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Do you have the locations setup as contacts? I believe for this to work the locations have to be saved as contacts. If you do a search on maps and find the location(s), save them to contacts and it should work. I have a 4 (no Siri) and I can manually setup location based reminders that way. I'm sure Siri can do it too.

Thank you sooooo much , this was driving me absolutely crazy !!!!!

This is so stupid though , i typed in my work on my contacts and tagged it as such . And maps recognised it . But siri couldnt do location based reminders.

But if you drop a pin on the map and add it to contacts it works . So weird all the info exactly the same but until you do it exactly how Ios 6 wants doesnt work

sdcbmthsch

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Hi, I am trying to resolve this issue myself - everything worked fine before upgrading to iOS6, and now I get this looping message each time I try to set a location-based reminder via Siri - I can do it perfectly well manually with the reminders app (it recognises 'home' and 'work' there) but Siri doesn't work with this. The two addresses were added via the Map app (pins dropped and linked to my contact as 'home' and 'work'). Interestingly, if I delete the locations and re-create them, Siri will work with them immediately, but after a short period (long enough to test with one reminder, delete it and try another), it stopped again!

Anyone else find this or am I missing something obvious?!

Many thanks!

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I lost them with iOS6 as well, but for a completely different reason- the new maps. According to the new maps, my address is a few hundred feet away in the middle of the woods. If I drop a pin on my location, it shows a range of every home number on this street as the address (for example, 100-483 Main Street). I enter that address in, is says 'Address Not Found.'

Until Apple fixes their maps, no location services for me.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Strange I have no problem, I used it just yesterday to remind me to mail some cards when I got home. It worked flawlessly as always. I'm on IOS 6 on a iPhone 4s.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
I actually had this intermittant problem recently whereupon Siri would not create a location-based reminder using a particular contact's address, despite previously working fine.

Several hours later (or perhaps it was the next day), I tried again, and it worked and has been working since. :confused:

L-Tuned

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Make sure your home address is saved to your own contact info.

It is saved in my own contact info. Siri works with other function suchs direction to home, call home, etc. In fact, I can see "Home" address if I set it up manually.

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Have you tried setting one up without using Siri, just by opening the reminders app and setting it manually? Just select "at a place" and change the current one that's there. You should see a plus sign that will bring you into your contacts.

naughtok

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Same Problem, no solution

I have the exact same problem as the original poster. So far, I am only attempting to set a reminder for when I get home. I have identified myself in the contact list and set my home address by using a pinpoint in mapper to add the location as my home to my contact information. I am able to set a location-based reminder if I do so manually in Reminders. If I ask Siri to do so, I get the same cyclical problem shown originally.

I was really looking forward to using the feature and an extremely frustrated at my inability to do so. Ideas, anyone? Please?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i found out that i have to say "when i get to my HOUSE"

i tried to tell her "when i get home" and she would ask "which home: home depot, XXX or home depot XXX" that i have in my contacts....

if i tell her house.... it works!

i do have my addy/contact info all entered and correct...

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
Hmm I say "Remind me to do xyz when I get home" and it works. Initially it made me a create a contact for myself where I had put in the home address.

My only complaint is Apple thinks I live several blocks over :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.