Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
This completely Apples fault they brought this upon themselves, they deserved it. They sued this company FIRST even though they new that iFone was registered 4 years BEFORE iPhone.

Apple will get the name rights one way or another. That's positive thinking.

Live and Let Die!

Last edited by a moderator:

accrama

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
I am from Mexico and I have NEVER, EVER heard the company or seen its logo. This is all BS. :confused:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

Live and Let Die!

So true! :D Though these days I think the drug cartels are more in charge than the government.

Apple is going to have to write a check just like they did to the Swiss company that had copyrights on the clock in iOS 6.

Last edited by a moderator:

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Just because they weren't making phones etc doesn't mean Apple weren't popular. You remember the iPod right?

Didn't say they "owned" the "i" but I had said they made it successful and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

Why are we even arguing? This forum is bizarre.
you think Apple had any market penetration in Mexico in 2003? How can a Mexican company ride Apple's fame then? Think before you post.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
What a joke... iFone... Do they really think people are going to start calling the iPhone something else for this joke of whatever the hell it is? Even if Apple loses they will win. The court systems don't ever seem to understand this.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I guess it's only a question of time before they sue Iran and Iraq for their obvious trademark infringement.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
The unfortunate thing is that by creating the iMac Apple started a trend of crappy companies just sticking a lowercase i in front of the name of whatever they produce or do. In this case the company even decided that spelling phone correctly just wasn't hip enough them as the cool cats in the hood for realz etc.

Unfortunately protecting the concept of sticking a lowercase i in front of a name isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world. I mean, personally I'd have anyone other than Apple that decides that sticking a lowercase i in front of a half-assed name is a good idea taken outside and shot, but that's likely why I'm not in any position of power (yet…), just the same as I would do for companies that use texting acronyms in their company names.

When you start seeing companies like "First4Lawyers" it hardly inspires confidence in their professional conduct; and what if I wanted a fifth lawyer? It's only a short hop to iRt3hLaw4U, the mostest street law firm on the block.

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
What a joke... iFone... Do they really think people are going to start calling the iPhone something else for this joke of whatever the hell it is? Even if Apple loses they will win. The court systems don't ever seem to understand this.

Yes, we all know Apple will throw money at the legal system until they get their way, because Apple doesn't know any other way to compete.

slcoss

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
It is a well-known fact that the Mexican legal system is corrupt. Apple has too much class to pay bribes to the judge, so they lost a case where they clearly should have had an easy victory.

Mexico needs Apple a WHOLE lot more than Apple needs Mexico. Why would Apple care about selling their esteemed products to people using dirty cartel blood money? That is NOT the kind of customer that Apple even wants.

Can you imagine? While the vast majority of the Mexican people are very good people, just like anybody else in the world, there is a huge criminal underclass that sucks the money out of the hands of the good people. Corrupt judges, corrupt politicians, corrupt police, and corrupt drug lords are primarily the ones who can afford Apple products in Mexico. Not the good people, not the majority of fine people who work hard and get exploited by the corrupt ruling class who engineered this travesty of justice.

Apple should just pull out of Mexico and tell those corrupt scum that they don't want their filthy blood money. They should NOT take money from the coyotes and murderers and drug kingpins. They should instead tell them that they their dishonest money should go to the dishonest makers of Googley Android crap products.

I expect nothing less from a company like Apple. They are always on the side of the good and the right and the just. apple stand for the little guy, trying and succeeding in making the world a better place. Apple cares so much about each and every one of its customers, it cannot support the corrupt horrible few in Mexico.

Pull out of Mexico, Apple. Take the moral high ground. That is what Steve would have done!

Please tell me you're joking. If you were next to me I would just punch you in the nose. And Apple on the side of the good and the right and the just? I didn't know everyone at Apple had become saints.

I hope you're trolling and don't actually believe that. :eek: Being from the US, I'm terrified that there are people who actually think like this about the rest of the world, it is a toxic attitude.

Sometimes I lose my faith in US americans and their ego, thanks for restoring my faith in most of you.

No, it isn't simple as that. First, Apple does have products and they do sell them, so they're not a troll.

Secondly, in some countries including USA, if Apple does not fight to protect its trademark, they forfeit their trademark automatically.

This makes sense. No trolling companies (either Apple or iFone), but just companies defending themselves.

I am from Mexico and I have NEVER, EVER heard the company or seen its logo. This is all BS. :confused:

Oh, come on. I have "never, ever" heard of them before, but I don't know every company in Mexico, nor have I been interested in services from telecommunication companies. It's not like they're an Oxxo that you can find them in every corner.

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Don't know about anyone else but companies sticking and "i" in front of their product/company name leaching off Apples success deserves everything they get.

Not disagreeing with the leeching thing, but they still filed the patent first and are therefore legally entitled to the name.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
MexicoSombreroMan-s.jpg

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
Good thing in Mexico, everything is available for sale. Even the government... :D

Live and Let Die!

So they're pretty much like the US o A? Enough money and eventually you'll win.

Sep 17, 2007
Love MR. Get warned for double-posting but feel free to post as much racist and bigoted tripe as you like. :rolleyes:

4D4M

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2005
Broken Britain
Love MR. Get warned for double-posting but feel free to post as much racist and bigoted tripe as you like. :rolleyes:

True... this site is beyond the joke. You can post as much small minded racism as you want, but if you call someone out for obvious trolling, your post will be removed quicker than you can say "heavy handed moderation".

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
but.. I would guess iFone picked their name because using "i" in the name was already "in" because of iPod?

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Stay mad, ******

Apple has too much class to pay bribes to the judge, so they lost a case where they clearly should have had an easy victory.
If you honestly think that Apple doesn't pay people off, you're legitimately stupid. And they shouldn't have had an easy victory because the iFone patent was filed first.
Mexico needs Apple a WHOLE lot more than Apple needs Mexico.
Mexico doesn't benefit from Apple being there. Try again.
They should instead tell them that they their dishonest money should go to the dishonest makers of Googley Android crap products.
Apple is no less dishonest than Google. And there are Android products out there that are faster and higher quality than the iPhone 5. Their OS is better than iOS 6, too.
I expect nothing less from a company like Apple. They are always on the side of the good and the right and the just. apple stand for the little guy, trying and succeeding in making the world a better place. Apple cares so much about each and every one of its customers, it cannot support the corrupt horrible few in Mexico.
Apple is corrupt for starting patent wars instead of actually competing because they know they would lose. All they do is put old hardware in shiny boxes and sell it as innovation. And they care as much for their consumers as you seem to care for logic.[/QUOTE]
moral high ground
Pick one.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Samsung should buy them and then sell the rights to Apple for $1Billion. Good to see people standing up to the mighty apple legal machine.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
iPhone and iFone in spanish are pronounced exactly the same

No it's not. iFone, would be pronounced as "ee-fo-ne", while iPhone would be pronounced "ee-po-ne". The "h" in iPhone is completely silent. The "ne" on both words do not end in "nay" like someone else mentioned either.

However, seeing how "iPhone" is a product name, it would just be pronounced to Spanish speaking people just like it sounds in English. Just because it's a product name. The same applies to the brand "Nike".

I have a feeling that "iFone" is just an alternate spelling for "iPhone" in spanish because of the "f" sound that the "ph" makes in the english language doesn't exist in Spanish.

Nontheless, the company name "iFone" should not sound the same as "iPhone".

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Reading this reminds me of a Steve Martin line in one of his songs: "Criticize things you don't know about."

Disclaimer: Not a lawyer.

Someone tried to explain this, but apparently most of you didn't understand it.

Apple has trademarks that are literally worth billions of dollars. There are reams of case law regarding what someone has to do to protect a trademark. For example, let's say I own trademark XYZ and a company creates a product called XYZ. After 10 years, XYZ product becomes hugely successful. I now sue for infringement. The courts will ask, "why didn't you sue when you first became aware of the infringement? It appears that it is only the fact that this trademark has become valuable that is motivating you. If you weren't concerned before, why are you concerned now?"

I would have to demonstrate all kinds of things including that I was being damaged by the infringement. But, the key fact here is that I didn't try to proactively protect my trademark. I hate all the suits, but you have to understand that if Apple lets even one of these go, it opens the door for someone to take control of an asset that they have spent billions creating. Now, you may say it's only a name, but trademarks can be extremely valuable.

This is not a case as many of you suggest that Apple is a bully or conceited, or whatever. Apple is a business that needs to protect its assets, and the way to protect a trademark is to actively pursue anyone who infringes. Yeah, it might seem crappy to go after a grocery store, but it's not because they are jerks, it's because they a cautious about a billion dollar asset.

The Mexican court made the right call, but so did Apple in bringing the suit. No one will be able to claim that Apple has not proactively protected the iPhone trademark. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Apple knew they would lose. But rather than paying off the iFone, sued first to establish that they are actively protecting this trademark. There are times when bringing a lawsuit isn't cost effective (at least in the short run), but gives you many other benefits.

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
No, it isn't simple as that. First, Apple does have products and they do sell them, so they're not a troll.

Secondly, in some countries including USA, if Apple does not fight to protect its trademark, they forfeit their trademark automatically. Apple fought in Mexico to protect its original "iPhone" trademark. 'iFone' is now counter-suing Apple because "iPhone" sounds similar to their 'iFone' trademark.

Apple simply preemptively sued iFone because they knew iFone will eventually sue (they're required to or they'll lose against Apple automatically).

Apple isn't fighting to protect their trademarks, they're fighting to remove the competition for trying to compete with them. Stop distorting reality. And there was no "original 'iPhone' trademark." iFone was there first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.