Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
What a great idea! Hopefully car manufacturers will develop apps that take advantage of the the iPad :D

They won't. For years there has been a push to make a standard system in cars. The car manufacturers don't want to. They want their own system so they can try to sell to buyers based on the high points of their own system. So instead of having one system that works with all cars and accessories, we have crap systems like the Benz myCOMAND.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
It would have to be removable. In chicago, it would be to cold to leave it in.

But that would be smart regardless, cause who would want to risk leaving it in the car for someone to steal it. Also, you would want to upload new music and other things onto it for the road.

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Nice until you get your Cellular Bill!!

Can you imagine the data usage running Pandora or iHeartRadio plus Maps on your daily commute? Guess the only way is if you are on Sprint with an unlimited Data plan.. otherwise you're going to fly through the GBs.

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
Why, why, why would anybody want this?

I'm not talking about driver distraction. What I mean is, what on earth do you need to be doing on a dash-mounted iPad while you're in a car? Is getting to your destination not enough any more? Is having a conversation impossible? Have we reached the point where we need apps and gizmos and constant entertainment wherever we go, every second of every day?

mwolenski

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
I tried a dashboard ram mount with the original iPad. Problem was you couldn't see the screen through sunglasses because it was polarized. I wonder if that's the same case with mini.

Hidesuru

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Thats where these 7" tablets shine, who needs an expensive $1000 stereo when you can get the same functionality out of a $200-600 device that you can take with you.

Whoah whoah whoah. Lets not get carried away. He clearly states in the video that they are using an Audison sound system in that vehicle, with two amplifiers. A quick look on Amazon shows me the -cheapest- Audison amp is ~$250, going all the way up to > $1000. That's JUST the amps as well. Add in additional hardware, an iPad, and not even counting installation (if you could do it yourself lets say), and you are probably over 2 grand for what's in that car.

I'm not saying its not cool, but there is NO WAY you would beat the quality of a "$1000 stereo" with an iPad for less money. The iPad is just putting out a stereo line level signal, the rest is all being done by the expensive audio hardware...

I'm not an audiophile, but I wouldn't be surprised if one could tell the difference in audio quality compared to a device more specifically geared towards putting out high fidelity sound than an iPad, which is intended for use with -at best- some dock speakers.

Personally, I wouldn't want a setup like this, because in order to use your car's stereo you would have to have the iPad in place, and as mentioned by others if you don't remove it when you leave the car it begs to be stolen. The end result is you now have to always carry the thing with you (or sometimes not use your stereo). Maybe that works for some people (cool!), but would not for me. I personally would find it a burden to have to keep track of one more device at all times.

All just my $0.02 of course.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Whoah whoah whoah. Lets not get carried away. He clearly states in the video that they are using an Audison sound system in that vehicle, with two amplifiers. A quick look on Amazon shows me the -cheapest- Audison amp is ~$250, going all the way up to > $1000. That's JUST the amps as well. Add in additional hardware, an iPad, and not even counting installation (if you could do it yourself lets say), and you are probably over 2 grand for what's in that car.

I'm not saying its not cool, but there is NO WAY you would beat the quality of a "$1000 stereo" with an iPad for less money. The iPad is just putting out a stereo line level signal, the rest is all being done by the expensive audio hardware...

I'm not an audiophile, but I wouldn't be surprised if one could tell the difference in audio quality compared to a device more specifically geared towards putting out high fidelity sound than an iPad, which is intended for use with -at best- some dock speakers.

Personally, I wouldn't want a setup like this, because in order to use your car's stereo you would have to have the iPad in place, and as mentioned by others if you don't remove it when you leave the car it begs to be stolen. The end result is you now have to always carry the thing with you (or sometimes not use your stereo). Maybe that works for some people (cool!), but would not for me. I personally would find it a burden to have to keep track of one more device at all times.

or cover it up when you leave :rolleyes:

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Nice idea, dedicated in car system with the kind of functionality of an iPad cost normally thousands and you can have this for £269 plus a few quid for the mounting system.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Impressive! But the guy sounds like they work extra hard to make this thing working. I doubt that they work harder on it the day the iPad mini was released. They probably just bought the fake mini ahead of time to work on the holder then use the iPhone or iPad for testing. But I'm still impressed on how all these thing coming into realization that someday on my next car purchase that salesman will shut-up selling their outdated stuff. Recently I bought a van and told the old salesman I can actually buy 2 iPad for half the price, of their entertainment system with crappy screen monitors.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

Significantly cheaper amps available though, its the iPad functionality that is a real bonus. True its not the most convenient but still potentially a fantastic system for the money.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Because I've always wanted to use Facebook from my car's dash :rolleyes:

But really, when I saw the first pic, I thought "what a waste to install it like that... it would be much better to have it removable". And sure enough, when I watched the video, that's exactly what it was! Very awesome for navigation and music. Those are really the only two in-car uses for it, so I'm glad it's not a permament installation, heh.

Very nice job indeed. :D

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009

I'm not talking about driver distraction. What I mean is, what on earth do you need to be doing on a dash-mounted iPad while you're in a car? Is getting to your destination not enough any more? Is having a conversation impossible? Have we reached the point where we need apps and gizmos and constant entertainment wherever we go, every second of every day?

Lol... I hope you're joking.

Just to name a few reasons: GPS, Contacts, Find your Friends, Movies... upon a million more. But if you just need one: the best infotainment system available - PLUS it syncs with all your other devices you already have.

It's not about being antisocial, its simply the best infotainment system you could buy.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010

it's better than all the clunky, not-as-slick car dashboards currently available. maps app alone is great!

mrrairai

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
This is...

not really anything new. People have been installing iPads in dashes for a few years now. Granted the Mini makes more sense but this is quite old!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.