Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
What if people want variety? I also feel like this scares developers. "What if Apple decides to make our application do something that stock iOS does". I guess thats the risk of developing for the App Store. Use your phone Apple's way or the highway.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
then the developer should get his $99 back. if we invested in building a suite of tools and apple yanks them because they decide to implement what you wrote, therefore you cant make any more money off of it then do i get my $99 back?

The most popular emoji apps were free ones, including the one I downloaded. Honestly if you paid for an emoji app, you're a sucker.

Let's bring back all the fart apps too while we are at it. How am I supposed to feed my family without the income from them?!

geeksweep

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Why get your $99 back when all you do is provide a set of instructions for something that comes STOCK ON APPLE DEVICES!!??

If anything, the emoji people should pay Apple back for all the $$$ they swindled out of people who knew no better.

Best part is now when I scroll thru the top 100 free & paid apps, i wont have to see those bologna emoji apps anymore :cool:

i wasnt specifically talking about emojis. I was referring to an actual useful product that was really good and apple decides to make something exactly like it - then kick your app out - after you have invested all the time and perhaps multiple $99 licensing fees in it.

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
I know the Emoji came from Japan, but I wish the symbols provided in iOS were a little more tuned to Western culture. Maybe Apple could add a "US Emoji" keyboard - I'd like that.

ryuok

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Hong Kong
Ignorant people everywhere. There are still people who believe that these Emoji apps actually come with Emoji icons. No, they don't!

Emoji is a Japanese standard, which Apple licensed (and probably helped to make better) for the iPhone. Due to initial licensing issue, the keyboard is hidden from phones sold outside Japan.

All these Emoji apps did was to hack the iOS and enable the keyboard that Apple made. Later on as iOS5 made Emoji keyboard available for all, they don't even have to hack anything.

Let's make this clear once and for all: Apple licensed/created the Emoji keyboard in the first place. The Emoji apps people created nothing but little scams.

i wasnt specifically talking about emojis. I was referring to an actual useful product that was really good and apple decides to make something exactly like it - then kick your app out - after you have invested all the time and perhaps multiple $99 licensing fees in it.

ilmman

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
I got the email as well, though my emoji app never ever got approved because they told me it was already cluttered :p

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
How do you enable it? Yes, I'm slow.

settings - general - keyboard - international keyboards - add new keyboard - emoji

Then, use the new globe button on your standard keyboard to access the emoji keyboard

don't feel bad, I just found out too..

----------

That's 2/3rds of the apps in the App Store then.

2.12 Apps that are not very useful, are simply web sites bundled as apps, or do not provide any lasting entertainment value may be rejected.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
It did, so it's odd that Apple would wait until now to do this.

Here's hoping they don't decide to take down Quick Clips... it handles thousands of special characters, emoji included, and took me ~4 months to develop last year. Not that it's actually paid off in any way now... say, maybe with "competing" apps going down, if mine stays up, it might actually get some attention?

Well, they are behind I their scheduled tasks.

So, I guess it's time to write Emoji 'enhancement' apps.

It's about time to start cleaning up the App Store. Too many junkie apps, even tho not as bad as the Android Market.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I see, because in the electronics industry, companies support their first gen devices forever...:rolleyes:

there is a difference between supporting first gen devices and yank apps that they may need to get access to things like Emoji.

No one is asking them to that. All that they would require to change is have those Apps block from being downloaded on iOS 5 or higher.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
It hurts because these apps clog up the market with 'apps' that are already available on iOS 5 & 6.

Either way - Apple sides with me and thats all that matters.

Go away.

I always knew how to enable mine, but I quoted you so your set of instructions doesnt go un-noticed.
Don't make yourself feel too important. Apple didn't side with you. You side with Apple. Only ever heard of Apple fanboy, never donrsd fanboy.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
many of these apps had what looked like new imojis on their app icon and pics but there were never new ones. they scammed people to download.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
As a developer on the App Store, I am glad Apple did this. These Emoji apps were really crowding the higher positions and pretty much all they did was just enable Emoji. There were TONS of them and I found them to be pretty much worthless.

Now that the app count wars are over, I'm happy to see Apple clean up the store and look at quality over quantity. That is the way it SHOULD be.

Ethan

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
actually any smartphone can display those "iOS" emojis by now

---

by the way, how did apple come up with those categories? what does a bell icon have to do with food for example? always baffles my mind

My friend(s) droids cannot display these emoji's. All you see is square boxes.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
If you check your emoji keyboard after the iOS 6.0.1 update, you will see a HUGE number of additional emoji now available. Way more than earlier.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
2012-09-30-apple-developer-lifecycle.jpg

flindet

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
... and what of the Emoji apps for MAC?? I downloaded two (the first one sucked ass... can't believe I paid for that crap) and the one I currently use doesn't have the additional Emojis that the iOS6 introduced. The developer's site doesn't work either.

To access Native Emoji in Lion or later, go to Edit > Special Characters or Cmd-Alt-T. The shortcut doesn't work in all applications (it hides the address bar in safari, for example), but it does in iMessage and probably many others.

Edit: Corrected shortcut. Thanks, Tinmania!

Last edited:

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Good. Those apps just cluttered the App Store.

if there is no this cluttered apps, Apple can't anymore admire how many thousands apps they have in Appstore. they build their advertising and attacking strategies with those "clattered" apps. If they remove they should do it for all of the "cluttered apps" and there will not be 700 000 apps anymore

----------

in App store more than 50% apps repeated (copied each other and ****** stability ), why they leave alone these apps and let users decide, once they don't care about other less than useless apps.

Or just sue all the developers, because iOS has functions those offered couple years ago from those developers, That would be another good highlight like iFone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.