Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
Reading this reminds me of a Steve Martin line in one of his songs: "Criticize things you don't know about."

Disclaimer: Not a lawyer.

Someone tried to explain this, but apparently most of you didn't understand it.

Apple has trademarks that are literally worth billions of dollars. There are reams of case law regarding what someone has to do to protect a trademark. For example, let's say I own trademark XYZ and a company creates a product called XYZ. After 10 years, XYZ product becomes hugely successful. I now sue for infringement. The courts will ask, "why didn't you sue when you first became aware of the infringement? It appears that it is only the fact that this trademark has become valuable that is motivating you. If you weren't concerned before, why are you concerned now?"

I would have to demonstrate all kinds of things including that I was being damaged by the infringement. But, the key fact here is that I didn't try to proactively protect my trademark. I hate all the suits, but you have to understand that if Apple lets even one of these go, it opens the door for someone to take control of an asset that they have spent billions creating. Now, you may say it's only a name, but trademarks can be extremely valuable.

This is not a case as many of you suggest that Apple is a bully or conceited, or whatever. Apple is a business that needs to protect its assets, and the way to protect a trademark is to actively pursue anyone who infringes. Yeah, it might seem crappy to go after a grocery store, but it's not because they are jerks, it's because they a cautious about a billion dollar asset.

The Mexican court made the right call, but so did Apple in bringing the suit. No one will be able to claim that Apple has not proactively protected the iPhone trademark. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Apple knew they would lose. But rather than paying off the iFone, sued first to establish that they are actively protecting this trademark. There are times when bringing a lawsuit isn't cost effective (at least in the short run), but gives you many other benefits.

exactly

4D4M

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2005
Broken Britain
You're right, that's the only way Apple knows how to compete: buy shutting down the competition.

Another anti-Apple newbie... do you actually know anything about the company at all? Or did you just come here to stick a spoon in and stir the mix?

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
You're right, that's the only way Apple knows how to compete: buy shutting down the competition.

Huh? It's a telecom, not a phone manufacturer. How is Apple shutting down competition in Mexico by seeking rights to use a similar sounding but different name for a hardware product versus a service?

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
If I were Tim Cook I would just stop selling the iPhone in Mexico. iFone and iPhone are two different trademarks, even if they do sound the same. Since iFone is a telecommunications company, just stop allowing them to carry the iPhone. If there is no other telecommunication company in Mexico, well too bad for Mexican citizens, no iPhone for you.

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
Don't know about anyone else but companies sticking and "i" in front of their product/company name leaching off Apples success deserves everything they get.

Linksys (then InfoGear) iPhone - released in 1998
Apple iMac - first released in 1998
NTT DoCoMo's i-mode - released in 1999

You were saying?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Apparently you haven't... Mexico is amazing.

It's hilarious how bad apple is making themselves look. God what a bunch of tools....
I have been to Mexico. I accidentally consumed a fountain soft drink at a fast food restaurant and put ice in it. I spent the next week at home sitting on the toilet.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
If I were Tim Cook I would just stop selling the iPhone in Mexico. iFone and iPhone are two different trademarks, even if they do sound the same. Since iFone is a telecommunications company, just stop allowing them to carry the iPhone. If there is no other telecommunication company in Mexico, well too bad for Mexican citizens, no iPhone for you.

Obviously this is silly talk. Cook should sell iFones everywhere else.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
I have been to Mexico. I accidentally consumed a fountain soft drink at a fast food restaurant and put ice in it. I spent the next week at home sitting on the toilet.

Thats like everywhere you go down south.

Dominican, Cuba, etc.

I just pretty much accept that I'm going to get the ***** when I'm down in those places.

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
I hate all the suits, but you have to understand that if Apple lets even one of these go, it opens the door for someone to take control of an asset that they have spent billions creating.
Apple is not protecting their innovation, they're eliminating anyone who tries to compete in the same market as them. They are trying to create a monopoly so that they can fill their pockets with the consumers' money.
Apple is a business that needs to protect its assets, and the way to protect a trademark is to actively pursue anyone who infringes. Yeah, it might seem crappy to go after a grocery store, but it's not because they are jerks, it's because they a cautious about a billion dollar asset.
So you're saying that a grocery store, to which an apple is much more relevant, should not be able to advertise that they sell apples?
ISHYGDDT
No one will be able to claim that Apple has not proactively protected the iPhone trademark.
You might even say they overactively protected it.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Apple knew they would lose.
So they should sue everyone they can just to make sure noone is "copying" their "innovation"?
but brings you many other benefits
Like stealing money from a company who is only interested in honest competition? I seriously wonder if Apple fanboys read what they write before they post it.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Apple did this with IOS and Cisco. Cisco had IOS for their router operating system for a long time, and then Apple licensed the name or bought it. They should have attempted the same thing here instead of trying to sue them to stop being a company...

This is of course after Cisco successfully sued Apple over the iPhone name, which they owned prior to 2007. Of course Apple actually asked for iOS, it would have been quite the shock to Cisco to have to go through all those proceedings a 2nd time with Apple.

cdreams

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
similar stupidity

My brother had to go through something similar recently with Warner Bros who were trying to sue him for using the name iNCEPTIONAL.

Their claim was that he was piggybacking off the film Inception's success, however he had been using the name for over 2 years before the Inception was even mentioned in the public domain.

He created the name by mixing up the words Inception and Exceptional to create iNCEPTIONAL, the creation of something exceptional.

It wasn't until he tried to register his name with the trademark office that he got a challenge from Warner Brothers who had put in their application after his. He battled them for over a year with them trying to bully him into removing his name from all material but he proved that he had used the name way before they had and that he had indeed registered it before they had.

The worst thing about it all though, was he offered a deal with them but they weren't interested and thought they could outsmart him. So after a year he won his fight against them with no concessions and his name iNCEPTIONAL is now legally registered with the Trademark office. What's even better is the newspapers wanted to support him by highlighting the unscrupulous nature of these big companies and how they use money and size to ruin peoples lives or ideas.

You can see info on it here: http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-e...ying-warner-bros-over-business-name-1-2590283

He's now free to get on with making his game SaveSanti without fear of WB hounding him which was pathetic.

----------

The company filed the patent in 2003. Try again.

I really hope they have to pay the company a substantial amount for all the grief they will have put the little company through trying to fight off and prove their case to the courts.

I remember many years ago people hated Bill Gates for being an ****** to smaller companies, I feel Apple is acting similar in many senses and using their size and money to bully smaller businesses. Businesses that people have probably worked their as**s off to establish only to have to deal with some unjust legal case.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Linksys (then InfoGear) iPhone - released in 1998
Apple iMac - first released in 1998
NTT DoCoMo's i-mode - released in 1999

You were saying?

I was just saying how companies are leeching of Apples success by putting an "i" in front of their products.

Sorry was that not clear?

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Another anti-Apple newbie... do you actually know anything about the company at all? Or did you just come here to stick a spoon in and stir the mix?

Are you implying that Apple actually competes fairly? They've started too many patent wars to count over products and names that they didn't invent because they had a slight similarity to what Apple was making. As far as actually competing, just look at the Mac Pros. They're using incredibly old hardware and charging three times as much for it as it costs to buy it on newegg. Not only that, but they're selling server components for a desktop computer. Why anyone would do that is beyond me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.