Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
its not the point that almost everything have usb thing. its the fact that apple is so cheap that they cant include an adapter for a $300 device -_-

Yeah no reason to complain since you knew before you bought it, that it didnt come with one. Apple is quite clear about what it comes with

Last edited by a moderator:

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I have to admit that I never noticed that it didn't come with the power adapter.

But it is true, if you have to give it as a gift you have to buy the extra plug and the whole "you don't need a computer" doesn't really work if you cannot charge it.

Can the Touch be charged using those USB-power adapters that come with other phones? :confused:

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
iPod dock? Wireless charging mat?

Actually this is a rather good point being raised by the OP.
In the past, before wireless syncing, you would always have to connect your iPod to your Mac or PC anyway to back it up or add/remove stuff, so it was always getting charged. But now that you can do everything wirelessly then you're not always connecting it up to your computer, which defeats the purpose of having wireless sync. So a simple cell phone style power cable (obviously with lightning connector at one end) should be small enough to fit in the box and would do the trick. I wonder if Apple actually considered this. It would make sense if you're travelling and don't have your computer or a dock nearby.

But anyway, some other options for you:

iPod Dock
You could always buy your brother an iPod dock to go with his iPod. Then when it's not being used (over night), place it on the dock and it's charged in the morning. Simple! :)

Wireless Charging Mats
There is also the option of getting a wireless charging mat such as Powermat. Not sure how good these are but just another option.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I have to admit that I never noticed that it didn't come with the power adapter.

But it is true, if you have to give it as a gift you have to buy the extra plug and the whole "you don't need a computer" doesn't really work if you cannot charge it.

Can the Touch be charged using those USB-power adapters that come with other phones? :confused:

What whole "you don't need a computer" do you mean? On the back of every iPod box states the requirements. Those requirements include Windows XP SP3, Vista, 7, or OS X 10.6.8 or later...

Maybe I'm a jerk or maybe I just have a gripe with consumers that don't do their research before spending >$300..

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
What whole "you don't need a computer" do you mean? On the back of every iPod box states the requirements. Those requirements include Windows XP SP3, Vista, 7, or OS X 10.6.8 or later...

Maybe I'm a jerk or maybe I just have a gripe with consumers that don't do their research before spending >$300..

Maybe you should read again what the requirements are ;)

"System Requirements

Apple ID (required for some features)
Internet access
Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
Mac: OS X v10.6.8 or later
PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
iTunes 10.7 or later7 (free download from www.itunes.com/download)"

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html

So only if you are synching with a library on a computer, would you obviously need one.

You should be able to. I sometimes use the USB brick that came with my Kindle ebook reader :).

Thank you!

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
so i just recieved my itouch 5g and there is no charging thing like they have with the ipad.. i dont understand htf im suppose to charge it. im giving it as a gift to my brother and he doesnt own any apple stuff.... great logic apple

i know what you mean. Amazon has now been doing that with the kindle's. then conveniently they offer power adapter option for $9.99 extra ;)

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Maybe you should read again what the requirements are ;)

"System Requirements

Apple ID (required for some features)
Internet access
Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
Mac: OS X v10.6.8 or later
PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
iTunes 10.7 or later7 (free download from www.itunes.com/download)"

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html

So only if you are synching with a library on a computer, would you obviously need one.

And for the majority of troubleshooting should anything go wrong. In either case, good eye. But my point remains, people need to start researching before they just pull out their credit card and spend spend spend.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
That's pretty odd that they ship a mains-charging-brick with the iPhone and not the iPod Touch. They really should, in my opinion.

----------

Although if you buy an iPod Touch you're very likely to have a router in your home, and many routers these days have USB ports on them. But it's a bit of an ask for the average joe to know that their router has a USB port. They'd just expect to be able to plug it into the wall - And rightly so.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
That's a valid complaint but this is from a company that used to sell ALL their Macs the way they sell Mac Mini's these days (and I don't mean cheap), with nothing necessary to use the thing apart from a powercable!

That's not true.

I remember when I bought my 12" PowerBook G4, it came with not only the charger, but adaptor dongles for VGA output AND for DVI output. Possibly even one for video output (composite/S-video), though perhaps I had to buy that one separately.

My first iPod was the 3rd generation 15 gig. It was $549 Cdn but it included a black belt clip sleeve, the charging adaptor, a dock, the headphones, and an inline remote control. Here's a review with some pictures of all that stuff.

Apple likes to charge premium prices for their gear -- that has never changed. What they did was realize that instead of charging $549 for all of that kit they could charge $49 for the dock, $49 for the remote, $49 for the case, and sell the basic iPod kit for $399 instead. Tada! Instant perceived price drop.

They've done the same for their computers.

Last edited:

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Personally I think they make enough of a margin on these products to justify including the adapter for the iPod touches..

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Personally I think they make enough of a margin on these products to justify including the adapter for the iPod touches..

Agreed. You can buy USB adaptors from places like Monoprice, DealExtreme, even the dollar store, for ridiculously cheap. With the kind of volume Apple churns, I wouldn't be surprised if their cost per unit was just pennies, even with the "designed by Apple in California" engraving. :rolleyes:

preyan

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
No you don't, you can buy Music/Movies/Apps with the iPod Touch and download to directly it.
I thought since iOS 5 it's "PC Free"
Also you can sync wirelessly, so don't need to plug it into a computer.

I said transfer son, not download :D
Pay attention :cool:

Let's stay on topic. We're talking about charging here, not syncing wirelessly :apple:

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
If you don't like it, return it. The iPod Touch has never been sold with a power adapter.

Typical smart arsed response. Too many on here seem to have apple tatooed onto their pricks, and won't have anything said against the company.

Especially when the op is right....a $300 device should be supplied with a $3 accessory.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Typical smart arsed response. Too many on here seem to have apple tatooed onto their pricks, and won't have anything said against the company.

Especially when the op is right....a $300 device should be supplied with a $3 accessory.

Feel free to complain if you want (it's your money). My comments and many of the other comments are directed at the people who claimed that the Touch used to be shipped with a USB power adapter brick and now it's not. I'm not sure if you're one of the people claiming this but the Touch has never shipped with a USB power adapter brick. My comment also stands that, as a consumer, you have the choice of not buying a product if it doesn't meet your needs or it's too expensive. It applies to everything you buy and not just to Apple.

Also, as a newbie to this site, I suggest you relax for a bit before posting and maybe re-read the TOS for this site :D.

Itouch g1

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Ottawa

Say, My Camry has integrated iPod support but Toyota didn't supply an iPod! Those cheap bastards- you'd think a $30,000 car should be supplied with a $300 device!

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
I got my first Apple wall 'charger' only after I baught the 30-pin to Composite (Yellow, Red, White) adapter. My iPod 3rd gen 64GB did not come with one itself.

I picked up an extra tiny square one for travel and I use both for all kinds of other USB charging (including a Bluetooth GPS). I even us it to power small portable USB powered speakers instead of getting ones with a big old power brick adapter. If only my old dumb phone wasn't such a prick about 'official' chargers I'd power it off it as well on trips.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
That's not true.

I remember when I bought my 12" PowerBook G4, it came with not only the charger, but adaptor dongles for VGA output AND for DVI output. Possibly even one for video output (composite/S-video), though perhaps I had to buy that one separately.

My first iPod was the 3rd generation 15 gig. It was $549 Cdn but it included a black belt clip sleeve, the charging adaptor, a dock, the headphones, and an inline remote control. Here's a review with some pictures of all that stuff.

Apple likes to charge premium prices for their gear -- that has never changed. What they did was realize that instead of charging $549 for all of that kit they could charge $49 for the dock, $49 for the remote, $49 for the case, and sell the basic iPod kit for $399 instead. Tada! Instant perceived price drop.

They've done the same for their computers.

That IS true of the Pre-G3/iMac, Pre-Jobs, PowerPC era Apple!

They sold numerous towers and desktops of different configs without a keyboard, mouse or monitor because it was just expected that you kept your old input devices to use with a newer system. Of course a G4 laptop comes with a charger, how are you suppose to use the thing?

The iPod Nano I had before my iPhone just came with a charging cable and it was of WAY better quaility than the garbage that came with my iPhone, that one had some much twisted tension in the cable in worked loose at the connector end within 3 or 4 months from general use, the one from my Nano is still perfectly fine and built like a rock!

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012

A $300 device could be supplied with one but not necessarily should. Should is a matter of opinion. That's like saying you should call me "Your Majesty" because I feel it's necessary. Everyone is entitled to their opinion including Apple. I personally think it would be awesome if they did include chargers with iPods, but Apple is a business like no other. They want to make as much profit as possible. You fail to recognize that. Huge fail. We have nothing for the company or against it. We just have accepted that it's the way they want to run their business and you haven't. Get over it.

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
My first iPod mini came with two sets of black foam covers for the earbuds. Apple later stopped including them and likely stopped selling them.

My point - just because a product came with something at one point doesn't mean it always will.

Apple is keenly aware that many people buy multiple Apple products, therefore Apple can save money by not including what would be redundant components for a good number of its customers. It's a business decision.

I just wish Apple would sell iPhones with in-ear headphones as an option. The earbuds/earpods never work in my ears so I never use them.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Its like getting that great Xmas present and finding there are no Batteries in the house!
Bit cheap no Charger, you can never have enough of those things and if it works for the iPhone then you can have one for work (if not in an office near a computer, some of us aren't)
If you have too many flog it on Ebay

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Its like getting that great Xmas present and finding there are no Batteries in the house!
Bit cheap no Charger, you can never have enough of those things and if it works for the iPhone then you can have one for work (if not in an office near a computer, some of us aren't)
If you have too many flog it on Ebay

emphasis added

- the environment disagrees with you on this point

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
emphasis added

- the environment disagrees with you on this point

I'am all for the environment but turning on a computer to charge an iPod is probably not the most efficient method(if thats all one wants to do) ,there are probably a million other better ways to save the environment before a few unused chargers tipping the balance.....Go turn that unused light out, turn all the standbys off etc etc and yes i'am sitting in the dark and all the unused electrical items are unplugged so i do try to practice what i preach :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.