Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Now that I have the iPad Mini in hand, I can compare the display quality between my iPad (first gen), iPhone 5, and Kindle.

With the same book pulled up, I can see that the iPad mini's larger display provides more screen real estate to display the pages. Character definition between the iPad-1 and the mini is about the same but subpar to the kindle - no surprise. The kindle's e-ink is great.

Comparing the mini to the iPhone's display is a little more difficult given the smaller screen on the iPhone.

Overall I do see a bit of jagginess on the letters especially if I take my glasses off and bring the display up close to my face. That is if I use it normally I'm not noticing too much. So for me, the mini looks beautiful and the display is fine, though apple could have done better.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I am disappointed in the screen. Turning up the brightness helps to alleviate some of the font-fuzz a bit.

Glockron

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
This is getting ridiculous... Firstly, the iPad mini screen resolution is that of the iPad 2 (which people had no problems with at the time), yet in the smaller size it bumps the PPI significantly - and makes it superior to the iPad 2.

Keep in mind that all the Macs that we use all the time (with the exception of the rMBPs) have MUCH lower PPIs than the iPad Mini. Yet we're totally fine with them.

And finally - there are 100s of threads about this very issue. No need to start a new one every time ;) And - If ya think the pixed density is too low for some odd reason ("unusable"? - give me a break), just don't buy it.

EDIT : May have been to harshly put in retrospect. Apologies. But you get my point.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I like the form factor so much that I'll probably keep the mini. But disappointed nonetheless. Can't wait for retina-mini. It will be the perfect tablet.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Yup, this is a drip feed test product to see how well people buy it, then a proper one will arrive within 9 months, guaranteed!

I 100% agree!

Bought one this morning for my daughter and have been playing with it and comparing it to my Ipad3

1. The screen does look poor compared to the retina iPad, but take that away and your eyes and brain adjust pretty quickly.

2. I already think this is a better form factor than the iPad for the majority of uses of an iPad (reading, couch surfing, you tube, personal gaming)

3. It is pricey for what you get, but holding it next to a nexus 7, it trounces it in terms of build quality and feel. The screen is a draw to my eyes by the way. You can see the nexus is sharper, but the color and contrast is better on the iPad mini

I think what has happened is that when Apple was designing the iPad at first a 7 inch tablet really wasn't ideal and thus Steve was trash talking it.

But technology has since caught up allowing the thinner body and small (at least on the sides) bezel, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, IOS has evolved compared when it was released making a smaller form factor practical

All the hints are there (the design language, build quality) that going forward, the mini will be the primary iPad. Apple is just being conservative with this model and toeing the market (which really is the most negative thing about the mini)

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
It's usually not pictures where it's the most noticeable. It would be stuff like reading PDFs, reading books in iBooks, etc. the font will be noticeably less "sharp"

Well I had a gander at MacLife Magazine a few minutes ago. I zoomed in on the small text to read it. But I already do that on my iPad 3 anyway so I think the "unusable" tag was rather harsh.

It does have the same number of pixels as the iPad 2. Since the scree is smaller, then the pixels are smaller and more densely packed together.

Perhaps the OP has unbelievable vision compared to many of us to discern such a huge and unforgivable difference.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
060729ibmpc25th%20101.jpg

Cool! What is this device, and where can I buy one? I can't tell the difference between this screen and a Retina display. If only it came in amber, though... ;)

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I have a retina iPad and i've thought about selling it for a mini, but i'd hate to avoid using it because the display sucks.

So you rather go for the lower resolution, inferior processor iPad Mini instead of your retina iPad?

Unless size is the most important reason to make the switch, I do not see the logic in doing such thing.

People need to understand that the iPad Mini was created to satisfy that minority of people who complained about the size of the iPad since its first release one came out. Besides size and price, there's no real winning situation.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Writing this post on the on the mini now... Looks great, feels great I am very happy with this. Can I see pixels? Yes. Does everything still look great? Yes!

And my last 4 devices in this order; iPod Touch 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3rd gen LTE. The 163ppi is a non-issue. I wish I never got the 3rd gen to be honest, too heavy and it stutters briefly when I bring up the controls on video playback, we should be at the age where video playback is as smooth as mp3 playback. In retrospect it was a stop gap/beta product that should have been allowed to mature before it was released. The iPad 4th gen is the complete product.

I am selling my iPad 3 and keeping the Mini.

So I just tried out my iPod/iPhone version of Angry Birds and Bad Piggies. Now THAT is a reason to miss retina on iPads wow I don't remember those games looking that pixelated on my iPad. Granted those games were optimized for retina and therefore looked nearly as good as the HD versions bown up 2x.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I love the form factor, but this screen is awful. Even the iPad 2's screen looks better in my opinion.

Turning up the brightness does help, but wow this is terrible.

fsumom

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
Maybe it is unusable for his purposes. If I bought it purely to read pdfs and such for work I would probably not find it great either. To each his own and it's good to hear of other's opinions.

I suppose you're correct. I'm just tired of hearing about how horrible the screen is. There are multiple posts about the screen resolution as it is.

skyler286

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
I love the form factor, but this screen is awful. Even the iPad 2's screen looks better in my opinion.

If the price was $249 or less, I'd accept the screen resolution, but at ~$350 w/ taxes, it's harder to justify.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If this was a competitor's device, I wonder how many of you would be as forgiving for the lack of retina-like display.

Realistiic

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Scotland
I just got the 64GB version and I'm quite happy with it. The screen doesn't look that bad. Once the 2nd gen comes out my son can have this one. Happy days #

itismadhan

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Keep in mind that all the Macs that we use all the time (with the exception of the rMBPs) have MUCH lower PPIs than the iPad Mini. Yet we're totally fine with them.

This quote enlightened me a lot. I just realized that my macbook air has a lower ppi and I don't complain. I am getting the iPad mini!

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So you rather go for the lower resolution, inferior processor iPad Mini instead of your retina iPad?

Unless size is the most important reason to make the switch, I do not see the logic in doing such thing.

People need to understand that the iPad Mini was created to satisfy that minority of people who complained about the size of the iPad since its first release one came out. Besides size and price, there's no real winning situation.

I always thought the iPad was too big to be taken outside of my house. I felt goofy using it anywhere else but home or work.

Winepronecowboy

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it. :eek:

To sum up you are saying:

I'm so pro apple I actually troll the apple boards now. :rolleyes:

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
After about a half hour of browsing webpages, I'm close to returning. Over 90% of pages require double tap zoom to comfortably read the text.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
It's better than the iPad 2,
but falls short of expectations given the iPhone 4/4s/5 and iPad 3 were all retina and look incredible.

This one does not look incredible. We expect incredible from Apple.

Maybe Apple should have also offered a Retina version too, at a higher price and let the buyer decide .

I would have paid extra for retina, but even this version will sell fine as is.

It's really designed as a larger alternative for the $199 touch user, generally tweens, they should be happy?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

:confused: It looks better than the iPad 2 to me. Same resolution, with higher dpi. It looks great, I've had all the iPads so far and it's not worse than the iPad 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.