Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Sounds a lot more popular than the naysayers proclaim. Another niche filled to cover the spectrum of needs and wants. Numbers of iPad sales totals will swamp PC sales. iPad internet traffic will notch up again.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Does anyone here think for a second that Apple doesn't precisely engineer stock levels in the first weeks of a launch so that there are reports that 'xyz product has sold out'? When iPad 3 launched, my local Apple store had crateloads of stock from day 1 but they were still handing out tickets to 'reserve' devices and an empty line was roped-off...you know, just in case there was a stampede to grab the last iPad from the pile of 4000. Creating the impression of short supply, when you control the largest electronic supply chain in the world is, well, kind of ballsy.

I generally love Apple hardware but the iPad mini has nothing new, nothing innovative and nothing exciting about it. It is rushed-out product designed to fill a demographic segment.

I suppose all of the final reports with record sales time and again seems to have passed you by.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Won't sell well.
Overpriced.
Crappy screen.
No market niche.
Nexus 7 is better.
No Retina.
CPU is old.
RAM is weak.
Tim Cook's major failure.
Apple's greed is unrelenting.

:rolleyes:

Plenty left in my local apple store in London Westfield . And judging from previous launches, this one was the quietest.

Only issue was the screen. Everyone was complaining about it, apple has everyone sold on retina. Myself included, considering cancelling my preorder for the top spec 3G to the lowest 16gb cause live the form factor, but put off by the screen

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I don't see what there is to be excited about.. Honestly, it's a smaller form factor with 1.5 year hardware inside. Maybe I'm missing something.
Yes u missed it. It's about overall experience for Apple. Apple does not build for spec junkies. I'm writing this on a iPad 1 that is not out dated.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
There are people all over the world dying for lack of clean water, simple medicines or in pointless conflicts, human existance can be a nightmare so what do you suggest we all do?

What many don't realize is that those lucky people who bought an iPad Mini were actually helping the city. A new free app was just released: I Clean NY. For a $.99 in-app purchase, you can tap a map location on the screen and one cubic yard of sand is transferred back into the sea. It's truly magical.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Be a decent human being and help out around the city that you live in which was just destroyed?

As if these people aren't doing that as well, give them a break there lives are in as big a mess as everyone else at the moment. My point is that this is a diversion to temporarily lift the mood, bit of a morale boost. I can only imagine the nightmare that is NY at the moment, and we shouldn't begrudge these people time out from that for a moment.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
racist a bit?

We got an Asian couple here in our company who religiously take the week of new releases off to buy massive amounts of stock between them to sell them via a family member overseas. They flew over with about 20 4S and already have about 15 iPhone 5 (they came around the department and asked if we want to buy some). His brother sold the 4S for $1500 and he sold them all.

Not racist, but certainly part of the iVironment (see what I did there).

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
As if these people aren't doing that as well, give them a break there lives are in as big a mess as everyone else at the moment. My point is that this is a diversion to temporarily lift the mood, bit of a morale boost. I can only imagine the nightmare that is NY at the moment, and we shouldn't begrudge these people time out from that for a moment.

Horrible argument. Bloomberg is about to run a Marathon in NYC too, you think thats a good idea? Buying an iPad is a morale boost? Society is pretty ****ed if thats the case.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Won't sell well.
Overpriced.
Crappy screen.
No market niche.
Nexus 7 is better.
No Retina.
CPU is old.
RAM is weak.
Tim Cook's major failure.
Apple's greed is unrelenting.

:rolleyes:

As I've predicted, after a brief excitement with these short lines, the iPad Mini will FLOP. Unfortunately, it seems like the very positive reviews of the new Nexus won't help either...

Time for Apple to revolutionize again - or else.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think there are only 2 apple stores open because of the storm. The flagship and the one on the upper west side.

I think that's also a factor.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Horrible argument. Bloomberg is about to run a Marathon in NYC too, you think thats a good idea? Buying an iPad is a morale boost? Society is pretty ****ed if thats the case.

All life is to come to a standstill? Then why are you jawing on your computer when you should be down there pulling dead bodies out of the subway tunnels?

pjfanelli

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010

Yes, it is a great idea. As a New Yorker, I am proudly running on Sunday. On top of the donations I have made, the people joining me will help bring hundreds of millions of dollars to the city. Right now, the city needs money more than anything else. This is New York. We grieve and we mourn, while we dig in our heels and keep moving forward.

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
If you go to Apple's refurbished section within the past hour they put up iPad 2 16 GB black and white for sale for $319.00. They go quickly! ;)

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
The statistic is - in my eyes - only helpful in evalutating the true demand for the iPad mini if you remove all the Asians buying the device for reselling purposes.

On a related note: It's "fascinating" that despite Sandy so many peolpe have found time for buying a iPad mini. I'm not sure whether that's speaks for or against these people...

Maybe it's easier to buy a new, charged device than to try to find power to charge your existing one? Too soon, I know.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
YAY! Steve Ballmer time.

"I don’t think anybody has done a product that is the product that I see customers wanting."

Mr. B, you're so silly. ;)

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008

AAAAND, this can be a huge opportunity for many organizations aligned with and sponsoring the marathon to get people moving and motivated to help New York and New Jersey.

This helps put more spotlight on New York. It will bring people there that will see and be moved to do something.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
As I've predicted, after a brief excitement with these short lines, the iPad Mini will FLOP. Unfortunately, it seems like the very positive reviews of the new Nexus won't help either...

Time for Apple to revolutionize again - or else.

I often agree with you, but not this time. I think the pattern will repeat itself. Just as the iPod mini/nano went on to sell more than the iPod, the iPad mini will eventually eclipse the iPad. Perhaps not in its first iteration, but eventually. Only time will tell.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Does anyone here think for a second that Apple doesn't precisely engineer stock levels in the first weeks of a launch so that there are reports that 'xyz product has sold out'? When iPad 3 launched, my local Apple store had crateloads of stock from day 1 but they were still handing out tickets to 'reserve' devices and an empty line was roped-off...you know, just in case there was a stampede to grab the last iPad from the pile of 4000. Creating the impression of short supply, when you control the largest electronic supply chain in the world is, well, kind of ballsy.

I think other manufacturers have caught on to this. The Microsoft Surface sold out as well. It is a smart move on Apple's part to do this - I believe it drives demand for their products from a lot of people. People hear it is sold out so they wonder if they can be one of the few that got one. Then they visit their local store and snatch one up. Another sale.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
Personally, I'm not that interested in a iPad mini, but, I find it interesting - actually laughable - there were people who thought the iPad mini was gonna be some game changing tablet, or something on par to the premium iPad 4. This is simply an new addition and introduction to their lineup. The joke is on you, not Apple.

I'll even question if Apple with implement "retina" in the next iPad mini because the iPad 2 is still around. Until that gets killed off, I don't see iPad mini getting "retina."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.