Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Horrible argument. Bloomberg is about to run a Marathon in NYC too, you think thats a good idea? Buying an iPad is a morale boost? Society is pretty ****ed if thats the case.

Anything can be a morale boost as long as it gets you way from your situation for a few hours. Not to be confused with a moral boost which may be what you think I said judging by the response

----------

AAAAND, this can be a huge opportunity for many organizations aligned with and sponsoring the marathon to get people moving and motivated to help New York and New Jersey.

This helps put more spotlight on New York. It will bring people there that will see and be moved to do something.

Well said, echoes the sentiment I was trying to convey here.

Last edited:

Jason Garza

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
Won't sell well.
Overpriced.
Crappy screen.
No market niche.
Nexus 7 is better.
No Retina.
CPU is old.
RAM is weak.
Tim Cook's major failure.
Apple's greed is unrelenting.

:rolleyes:

Of all those, only one that isn't true is the first one. Won't sell well. The rest are still true.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
It's disgusting....I'm an Apple guy and to even care about this now with all that is happening in the Tri-State is gluttony.

Yeah. You do not care what's happening in Mac Rumors / silly events going on now as your focus is the tragedy that happened there. :D

Am sincerely pulling and wishing the best for all the people who are suffering or having hard time there now but I lol with what you posted.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
It's impressive, to say the least, but I wonder if Sandy impacted shipments and they were supposed to have more on hand for launch?

I can see why the mini would be very popular with NY'ers since they can use it on the subway far easier than the 10" iPad... especially if you don't get a seat!

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
What many don't realize is that those lucky people who bought an iPad Mini were actually helping the city. A new free app was just released: I Clean NY. For a $.99 in-app purchase, you can tap a map location on the screen and one cubic yard of sand is transferred back into the sea. It's truly magical.

That is a brilliant idea.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
I don't see what there is to be excited about.. Honestly, it's a smaller form factor with 1.5 year hardware inside. Maybe I'm missing something.

Hold one in your hand (like I just did in my local Apple Store). This thing is gorgeous.

Popinbottles

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
I agree with you totally...

It's disgusting....I'm an Apple guy and to even care about this now with all that is happening in the Tri-State is gluttony.

But like it or not it's the engine that drives this country. I think they call it capitalism.;)

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Well.. I mean.. we say this is sad or whatever but case of the matter is that people won't care what you do or what predicament you might be in. So if you are lined up to buy ipad mini, does that make you a bad person?

There are people starving to death in the world all the time but we are driving mercedes and bmws.. Does that make us evil? If you buy million dollars house for 2 people, does it make you monster? There are many homeless people out there all the time.
It's absoutely horrible what's going on in tri state. It doesn't mean you stop everything. Majority of them went to work today because they have to(because it's our jobs on the line). Does that make them selfish?
If you were one of those person waiting for your first ipad ever.. and lined up.. Does that make you horrible person?

Unless someone you know or close by or neighbors were directly impacted, you make whatever donation you can give and move on.(even that many people won't do).

People, life goes on.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
And yes, I am an complete apple guy and no I am not getting the ipad mini(my monetary situation is not that great) and YES I live in tri state.(NJ).

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I was curious to see what real folks impressions are of the device. The wife wanted to get iPads for the kids, since they dominate the one we already have.

pavanluvin

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
NYC
This **** sucks!!!

1. THis is the worst Apple Product they have made...this Screen really does suck big time. And its slow as ****!!! ugh....

2. Grand Central didn't even enough White IPad Minis for the first 50. They ONLY had FOUR (4) White IPads!!!! WTH....

3. I'm one of the biggest apple fans and even I'm disappointed....

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
They're pulling corpses out of the water and these people are lining up to buy the latest gadget. I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact people in this area are buying or that Apple is selling.

Should all retail in the tri-state area shut down, or just Apple?

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
1. THis is the worst Apple Product they have made...this Screen really does suck big time. And its slow as ****!!! ugh....

Have you really tried one....there's some incredibly sad people on these forums...:rolleyes:

How do you find being a MacRumors newbie?

Not sure why I even bothered responding to this post really.

Kenrik

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
tumblr_mcva05cx1Y1rzkh06o1_400.jpg

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Every kid in the US ages 2-10 will have an ipad mini by january, and they couldn't care less about retina displays. Apple will sell as many as they can make.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
That link is completely misleading! The vast majority of legit reviews have been very good, actually.

Plus, BGR misrepresented Gruber's review. Gruber actually wrote, and I quote, "The actual iPad Mini display is not terrible." The italics are his. He quoted his wife, who was used to a Retina display, as saying she thought it was terrible, initially, and said he, initially, shared that view; but the target buyers for iPad mini, like the iPod mini before it, are not iPad owners and are not used to the Retina display on the 3rd gen.

Yeah it is crazy to note Gruber's review as negative when he said he was going to replace his iPad 3 with a Mini for every day use.

----------

They're pulling corpses out of the water and these people are lining up to buy the latest gadget. I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact people in this area are buying or that Apple is selling.

Absurd. What would you like people to be doing instead?

Why are you posting on macRumors? I find that more disgusting during this time of bodies being dragged out of the water, then someone buying an iPad.

Perhaps they are going to use some apps to help with what is going on. You are just talking noise and not doing anything but casting aspersions.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Of all those, only one that isn't true is the first one. Won't sell well.

By definition, a product which sells well, such that actual demand is greater than the existing supply, can not be overpriced. You just flunked your micro-economics 101 exam. Go back to school.

If an iPad Mini was an essential supply, such as medicine, water or batteries immediately during or around a hurricane, then raising the price would be illegal scalping. Are you claiming that an iPad Mini is an essential supply?

joelvega125

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010

I take it you're part of the relief team? It is a sad thing to say the very least... Don't judge others for the way they choose to live... Maybe they are grieving, but are happy to be alive, and able, to enjoy these amazing products.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Because I'm 1500 miles away, tough guy.

You have a car or can take a bus or a train or any other form of transportation to go out there and help.

LOL you sitting in your ivory barn passing judgment on other people.

belsokar

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2005
I'm a huge apple fan boy...and I buy all apple products (I also buy android because I'm a developer)...and so of course I bought the mini...and just received it...

This thing is beautiful, and had me very excited the second I opened it up and held it in my hands...even my wife loved the form factor...

but then I turned it on :(

That's when the disappointment set in...I'm too used to retina (having to retina ipads and two retina iphone 5's already in house)...The screen is just not up to par, and apple really should have gone retina in this form factor...

Then I loaded the app store, and started scrolling, and the performance was lagging compared to my newer ipads and iphones...so I was once again disappointed...

I hate to say this, but I would return this device and wait for the next upgrade if I weren't a developer that needed to do some testing...even with that said, I still may return it, and just rely on the xcode simulator for testing...

it's really a shame, the display and performance leave alot to be desired...other than that, it really outperforms my nexus 7...

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
How many in line were Asians buying them all up for resell?
racist a bit?

Racism

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

He's not being racist. It is true that Asian people will buy apple products to resell for a profit overseas. I work at a retail store and see it all the time, and yes they're mostly Asian. Just because someone fits into a certain stereotype doesn't make it racist. I'm Hispanic and I love burritos.

Oh and I think apple restricts 2 iPads per customer and some stores just 1 to combat resellers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.