Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
To access Native Emoji in Lion or later, go to Edit > Special Characters or Ctrl-Alt-T. The shortcut doesn't work in all applications (it hides the address bar in safari, for example), but it does in iMessage and probably many others.
That doesn't do anything for me (btw it should be option-command-t). That is even in iMessage.

I use Character Viewer for emoji on OS X but it is kind of pain.

Michael

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
My friend(s) droids cannot display these emoji's. All you see is square boxes.

It's not too big a deal though because everyone in Japan uses the Line app for free texting (and free calls too).

Line doesn't just have emoji, it has giant stickers too! ^__^

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
... i wish there were ways to add more unique emojis, i think the current choices are quite limited.

kingestkong

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Personally, I'd like to see apple come up with their own set of emoticons rather than the emoji ones...
Most of the smilies are very repetitive on there. The BBM emoticons are far superior IMO...

rudigern

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
I've never wanted or downloaded one of these apps, but it is nice to know that if you spend the time to make something people want Apple will just pull the plug on your app once they decide to implement it themselves.

Enabling this was quite literally 4 lines of code. No development time is even required because it's available on the web how to do it. You simply read a preference file from the device, write a preference (something like enable emoji everywhere) and then write the preference back to the system.

It's silly that Apple didn't just enable this from the beginning but saying that developers of these products spent time on it is a joke.

flindet

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
That doesn't do anything for me (btw it should be option-command-t). That is even in iMessage.

Wow! That's surprising. Are you on Lion or later? I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.2, but I thought it was for anything Lion or later. Even Edit > Special Characters isn't bringing up an Emoji option for you? Hmm... Anyway, apologies if I'm wrong somehow.

And thanks for the correction regarding the shortcut. I updated the original post. I admit, I'm still a GNU/Linux geek at heart and often think of Command as Control in my head since the shortcuts are often about the same otherwise. I have to break myself of that habit on these Mac forums! haha... Thanks for catching it and sorry for any confusion I caused.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
2012-09-30-apple-developer-lifecycle.jpg

They forgot about some other possibilities:

1 - The developer loses interest in their idea mid-development and goes back to brainstorming (I've probably started 10x as many apps as I've actually released.)
2 - The app is rejected for a silly reason. The developer either appeals or goes back to brainstorming.
3 - The app is released and makes no money ever. Back to brainstorming.
4 - The app is in review limbo for forever. The developer blogs about it, at which point it "magically" approved or disapproved by Apple.

faizanshakyboy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2011
Islamabad
Soooo, Apple can deem your app USELESS whenever it feels like and shut you tf down?! They just continue to give me reasons to HATE them. I don’t understand how people like them or deal with their shyt, seriously.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Soooo, Apple can deem your app USELESS whenever it feels like and shut you tf down?! They just continue to give me reasons to HATE them. I don’t understand how people like them or deal with their shyt, seriously.

Have you even read the story?

It's like this...

You pay for an app that supposedly unlock a feature that in fact is already unlocked in your phone. And it has always been there but unlocked only on iOS 5. Now please tell me how do you find it useful if someone scam and sells you something that you already have? Apple is doing you a favor by removing such crap! Otherwise App store would have been worse then the one on Android OS.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Apple: All of your Emoji belong to us! :eek:

Isn't it amazing how Apple demonstrates that monopolies are alive and well in this country? They don't like your app? They notify it's been REMOVED from their store because Apple has their own app and wants no competition in any form what-so-ever. Ah, but they "own" iOS so that doesn't apply, right? Yeah, keep on thinking that way. You can't introduce your own watch! We already sell watches in this country! You can't introduce your own burger! We already have Burger King AND McDonalds. We don't need your burger! Get out of the country! (except in this case, they came first and Apple rolled into town and told them to get out of their "town" since they've decided to introduce a burger now that they see burgers are popular). :rolleyes:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Wow! That's surprising. Are you on Lion or later? I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.2, but I thought it was for anything Lion or later. Even Edit > Special Characters isn't bringing up an Emoji option for you? Hmm... Anyway, apologies if I'm wrong somehow.

And thanks for the correction regarding the shortcut. I updated the original post. I admit, I'm still a GNU/Linux geek at heart and often think of Command as Control in my head since the shortcuts are often about the same otherwise. I have to break myself of that habit on these Mac forums! haha... Thanks for catching it and sorry for any confusion I caused.

No worries.

But, yea, nothing happens for me with either the shortcut or using the menu bar option. What pops up for you? Does it just show the Character Viewer?

Also, I have that the feature where holding down a key brings up accent options for that character turned off. It was annoying since I often use auto-repeat. Grrrrrrrrr lol. But perhaps turning that off turns off the ability to use the special characters thing.

Michael

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
if there is no this cluttered apps, Apple can't anymore admire how many thousands apps they have in Appstore. they build their advertising and attacking strategies with those "clattered" apps. If they remove they should do it for all of the "cluttered apps" and there will not be 700 000 apps anymore

This was just a single case, so I was responding to it. I'm all for getting rid of the copycats and pointless apps. 1 Emoji app was enough, 2 for choice, 1,000 not so much.

----------

They forgot about some other possibilities:

1 - The developer loses interest in their idea mid-development and goes back to brainstorming (I've probably started 10x as many apps as I've actually released.)
2 - The app is rejected for a silly reason. The developer either appeals or goes back to brainstorming.
3 - The app is released and makes no money ever. Back to brainstorming.
4 - The app is in review limbo for forever. The developer blogs about it, at which point it "magically" approved or disapproved by Apple.

If the killer app they came up with was Emoji unlock, then they need help.

dgorospe31

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Native emoji keyboard is not cross platform.

I just bought an iphone 5 last saturday. i enable emoji keyboard and was able to view the icons but has the following problem:
1. recipeint gets either symbols or boxes (iphone 4 and galaxy3)
2. when a user sent me an emoticon, i get the :) and not the yellow smiley faces.

I contacted apple twice. First try, they told me that the native emoji keyboard is indeed cross platformed and I shoud restore my iphone which I did to no avail.

Second time I contact, they said it is not cross platformed and I should seek a third party app but can't offer which one. (link is his explanation)
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2450?viewlocale=en_US

I will buy the third party app if the price is reasonable (shoudl be free!), but hoped that apple would at least let us know which one works before shelling out extra money.

So now I am lost to which really is true! Is the native emoji cross platformed or not? Is there an app out there that would get rid of this barrier?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.