Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Ordered a black 16GB from Apple last week and then discovered John Lewis had some white stock today so I dropped by on my lunch break and picked one up with the intention of returning the Apple order that UPS eventually dropped off about 17:30.

Problem started when I got home, no one wants to take over the big iPad, told my wife she could have it, no, she wants a white Mini now. Daughter came home and has now decided we must hate her if I won't give her the black Mini for her birthday :(

She is also now refusing to have the big iPad, it's "so old fashioned" and "too heavy" for a girl (she will be 19 later this month :confused:).

Everyone who handles it wants one, Apple have created a monster.

Looks like my "cheap" little upgrade is going to end up costing me big.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm fully expecting this to repeat itself in my home. Everyone's happy now with their iPads, but I know as soon as I get a mini my wife will want one. Then my daughter in high school. Then my two younger ones.

Apple Poptart

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Houston, TX
Ordered a black 16GB from Apple last week and then discovered John Lewis had some white stock today so I dropped by on my lunch break and picked one up with the intention of returning the Apple order that UPS eventually dropped off about 17:30.

Problem started when I got home, no one wants to take over the big iPad, told my wife she could have it, no, she wants a white Mini now. Daughter came home and has now decided we must hate her if I won't give her the black Mini for her birthday :(

She is also now refusing to have the big iPad, it's "so old fashioned" and "too heavy" for a girl (she will be 19 later this month :confused:).

Everyone who handles it wants one, Apple have created a monster.

Looks like my "cheap" little upgrade is going to end up costing me big.

Ugh, kids and wives these days. :rolleyes:
Never good enough.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
If Apple's coders were competent, we'd be able to have multiple logins on our iPads. Making it easier to share.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Not quite, they all want me to pay for them :eek:.

I don't know it works in your house but my wife and I buy what we want for ourselves - obviously we don't go crazy but if she wants some shoes she buys them, if I want an ipad I buy it, and so on.

As far as kid go (especially at that age) - they can either buy 1 for themselves it can wait until a birthday/holiday/school report when it okay. I am not going to spend $350 on a kid for no reason. You know you can say "no", child services won't be called on you. :-(

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
If Apple's coders were competent, we'd be able to have multiple logins on our iPads. Making it easier to share.

Why make it easier to share if families are obviously more than willing to shell out for multiple iPads?

But yeah....I think it is coming too. Google just added this feature into the tablet version of 4.2.

d123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
wife > daughter

don't spoil the daughter. 9.7" ipad is fine

I know, I was just trying to persuade my wife to take the black one I already have direct from Apple ( and was going to sell the 9.7 to pay for it), daughter is pushing the " can't have a second hand thing for birthday" line, I'm pushing the "grown up children don't need expensive gifts" one :D.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Soooo glad I don't have kids! They'd be hearing the "when I was a kid I had to walk barefoot in the snow..... " story every day! :rolleyes:

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I know, I was just trying to persuade my wife to take the black one I already have direct from Apple ( and was going to sell the 9.7 to pay for it), daughter is pushing the " can't have a second hand thing for birthday" line, I'm pushing the "grown up children don't need expensive gifts" one :D.

at least make her earn it. give her some extra chores :p she'll appreciate it more

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I wouldn't give up my retina display iPad 3 for an iPad mini ... I wouldn't even consider it. The screen is abysmal, made worse by the fact the iPod touch has a Retina Display. The form factor is stunning, but that display is just not on in the current market.

qawsed27

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I expect this will happen in my house too. My wife is getting her mini today and I'm already thinking I'll buy one also. Even yesterday I caught myself thinking damn, this full size iPad is SO heavy. Never once thought that before, and I haven't even touched the mini yet.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I had that problem covered. Our kids already all have iPhones and I bought my wife a Mini. Too. Every one is cool (though the kids will start want a mini pretty soon).

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Soooo glad I don't have kids! They'd be hearing the "when I was a kid I had to walk barefoot in the snow..... " story every day! :rolleyes:

LOL. Now it'll be "I remember when iPads were 10" and weighed 1 & 1/2 pounds, your arms would be tired and you needed a cart to wheel them from place to place."

epi117

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2010
I wouldn't give up my retina display iPad 3 for an iPad mini ... I wouldn't even consider it. The screen is abysmal, made worse by the fact the iPod touch has a Retina Display. The form factor is stunning, but that display is just not on in the current market.

To each his own, im 50ish with not great eyesight, and loving the mini.

AppleChampagne

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012

I have to agree...

Played with one in store today then came home to cancel my 2 preordered LTE mini's.

One thing i did notice was that Apple still doesn't seem to have solved the heat of the larger ipad. The 4th gen i played with was "super" hot.....

skyler286

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011

I agree. Returning the mini. Very disappointed the display is pixelated while reading / websurfing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.