Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theodmic

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Wisconsin
This thing looks so sweet in a car...I had my initial doubts about the iPad mini, but it seems to have quite a few uses that a full sized iPad just doesn't have.

Can't wait to get this in my little Honda fit! Also, what bass nectar song is playing in this vid?

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Can you imagine the data usage running Pandora or iHeartRadio plus Maps on your daily commute? Guess the only way is if you are on Sprint with an unlimited Data plan.. otherwise you're going to fly through the GBs.
I already do just this with my iPhone; having the mini installed would just look way sexier. :) I go through about 5 gigs a month... I'm on the unlimited plan (AT&T) still, but I think the normal data plans allow for about that much. I don't stream video with it, just audio via the apps you mentioned.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'm looking at you BMW

Mercedes too. Believe it or not, the only car I've owned in which I loved the nav system is my Infiniti. The current models are very well done. I hate the current gen E-Class Mercedes system, so cumbersome and the display looks like an Atari.

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Wonder how well voice activation for Siri works with the microphone covered up, for say, asking for driving directions.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Whoah whoah whoah. Lets not get carried away. He clearly states in the video that they are using an Audison sound system in that vehicle, with two amplifiers. A quick look on Amazon shows me the -cheapest- Audison amp is ~$250, going all the way up to > $1000. That's JUST the amps as well. Add in additional hardware, an iPad, and not even counting installation (if you could do it yourself lets say), and you are probably over 2 grand for what's in that car.

I'm not saying its not cool, but there is NO WAY you would beat the quality of a "$1000 stereo" with an iPad for less money. The iPad is just putting out a stereo line level signal, the rest is all being done by the expensive audio hardware...

I'm not an audiophile, but I wouldn't be surprised if one could tell the difference in audio quality compared to a device more specifically geared towards putting out high fidelity sound than an iPad, which is intended for use with -at best- some dock speakers.

Personally, I wouldn't want a setup like this, because in order to use your car's stereo you would have to have the iPad in place, and as mentioned by others if you don't remove it when you leave the car it begs to be stolen. The end result is you now have to always carry the thing with you (or sometimes not use your stereo). Maybe that works for some people (cool!), but would not for me. I personally would find it a burden to have to keep track of one more device at all times.

All just my $0.02 of course.

I do not need the top of the line stuff nor the audison stuff.

My current setup is a deck that has ipod controls through being connected through USB and I can control the volume and controls through the deck or steering wheel controls.

Instead I could push back the deck install a place to hold iPad temporarily and just rewire a volume control knob to a different place in the car.

I will post pictures of my current setup running through the stock stereo and for my ears it sounds great because thats what I care about, I am no audiophile.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Wow that's cool.

[Plus it beats the interface of all modern car systems, don't even get me started on the idea of using a scroll wheel to type an address instead of just having a touch screen in 2012]

There is a reason car companies all over use scroll wheel than much cheaper touch screen. Do u think developing a scroll wheel UI and install it on the central column is cheaper than a touch screen technology? The reason they use scroll wheel is because its much safer and accurate. It ur car is moving, it's hard to reach your hand over to the screen and touch tiny buttons. Scroll wheel each click is accurate and u rest ur hand on the car. Although slower, u don't have to look at it constantly, also much more accurate entry when u can driving in a bumpy road.

Source: I own both kinds of car

dponte

macrumors member
May 21, 2012
Not a lot of functions demoed here...cons?

Going to play the 'cons' game here...wondering what others think about this stuff:

- GPS seems far better with a satellite receiver, I would not trust 2G/3G/'4G'/LTE to be consistent, but I have never used the iPhone/iPad as a GPS...I used the iPhone 3GS for maps and traffic to compliment my car's GPS (which is not even built in, it's a Navman...getting a new lease, so maybe I'll get a built-in one then).

- Music...ok...but we can do this with a simple AUX line from the iPhone...or my new Samsung Galaxy Note 2...which provides a HUGE screen that I can actually see (ahem...iPhone5...I'm looking at YOU!) while driving.

- More of a distraction, up front? Most people who drive shouldnt be doing this...they are bad enough drivers as it is. Keep your foot over the brake whenever you even consider looking at this thing/any device. We need more HUD's in cars! :)

- Does one have to alter the car's functionality of it's info panel that was removed (if it's removed for this iPad mini, which seems the case for anyone wanting to do this)?? For instance, bluetooth? iPad is not a phone, obviously.
But, it looked like he just slid the iPad mini over the existing display and it plugs into a mounted charge/adapter on the left side. So, I don't know...

- Lots we don't see demoed here...or explained in full. The music was controlled by a remote via the amp installed in the car, which probably helps ease-of-use.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Oooohhh! With the LTE model and an Apple Bluetooth keyboard I could pull into a parking lot and catch up on emails easily. A detachable mounting system would be so ideal for this.

dponte

macrumors member
May 21, 2012
I already do just this with my iPhone; having the mini installed would just look way sexier. :) I go through about 5 gigs a month... I'm on the unlimited plan (AT&T) still, but I think the normal data plans allow for about that much. I don't stream video with it, just audio via the apps you mentioned.

Another good point...that you made for my 'cons' :)

5GB a month? Now if you are using this all month long...on the road...using CELL data...what would your usage total be?

I have AT&T and am grandfathered into the 'unlimited' plan...which means they throttle my data anyway at 3GB. I do NOT use that much, as most of my data is via wifi. However, if one were to do this...well, then let's see someone use this method and what their cellular billing is after a month!

I use my iPhone 3GS to compliment my satellite GPS in the car (Navman, portable and now way out-of-date)...but, of course using the iPhone for google map traffic and music and etc. If I used Pandora or ConcertVault or some streaming media a lot OR the GPS on this iPad mini...then this does not help my data usage over cellular. Video streaming...yeah...good luck with that.

Going in and out as you drive, depending on where you are...this is another reason why I prefer satellite GPS.

Therefore, what else would one use it for...over cellular? LTE would only help to hasten your cell data limit, it seems...on the road, in such a scenario.

What does this do that your car (and newer cars) would not be able to do...or that my nice new Note2 (google voice/svoice) or even my old iPhone 3GS (ok, no Siri) could do just the same?

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Lol... I hope you're joking.

Just to name a few reasons: GPS, Contacts, Find your Friends, Movies... upon a million more. But if you just need one: the best infotainment system available - PLUS it syncs with all your other devices you already have.

It's not about being antisocial, its simply the best infotainment system you could buy.

Really now? My 2012 5 series tells me my engine oil level, miles till next maintenance, brake pad, fluids, efficient dynamic setting which show brake energy regen status, ac level, mpg, trip computer, GPS that connected to my wheel so even works in tunnel or underground, it reads me text message, post twitter or Facebook, it can play everything on my iPhone, show 360 degree camera view around my car, park my car automatically, read me people Facebook status, set speed limit for my car, display sports mode setting, owner manual, schedule maintenance remotely, remotely unlock or start my car without key, call ambulance when crash, make emergency call without a cell phone, control lighting of my car, etc. really the iPad is the best system??

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
But it wouldn't be a stereo.....or hook up to amplifiers.....what's the point? Unless you had a bluetooth enabled stereo behind the mini.

But then again I wouldn't want sub woofers vibrating my ipad apart.....

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
damn, thats way cooler than iPad in some car holder! Looks like I'm gonna grab iPad mini with LTE once available!

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Wow, that's sweet....the down side is that my car is not that good for an iPad mini... LOL

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
England
NewImage2.png

Walter White and an iPad. Wow.

dponte

macrumors member
May 21, 2012
Really now? My 2012 5 series tells me my engine oil level, miles till next maintenance, brake pad, fluids, efficient dynamic setting which show brake energy regen status, ac level, mpg, trip computer, GPS that connected to my wheel so even works in tunnel or underground, it reads me text message, post twitter or Facebook, it can play everything on my iPhone, show 360 degree camera view around my car, park my car automatically, read me people Facebook status, set speed limit for my car, display sports mode setting, owner manual, schedule maintenance remotely, remotely unlock or start my car without key, call ambulance when crash, make emergency call without a cell phone, control lighting of my car, etc. really the iPad is the best system??

Another good point for the 'cons' of doing this.

Are there any pros? I can't see anything that outweighs the cons here. Unless your car is not new and has really none of these features at all and you dont care about cell data usage on the road...but, in that case, save up for a new car instead! :)

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009

You took what I said out of context. Obviously most people don't drive $40k cars. I was replying to the guy that said "Why would anyone do this?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.