Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Touketsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
I wanted to remove the jailbreak on my iphone, which was at 5.0.1, and update to the latest firmware, but any attempts at restoring in itunes were not working. I kept receiving different error codes pointing to "third party interference". I tried restoring in every mode I could think of: dfu, pwned-dfu, recovery, but to no avail. At some point though, my phone got stuck in recovery, and I had to use tinyumbrella to get it out. At that point it started to boot, and the screen went black... and then it booted again, and the screen went black again. It just keeps flashing the apple logo at me, and I'm afraid to try anything else. I tried doing some research, but everyone else who has this problem seems to be fixing it via restoration, which itunes still won't let me do. At this point I just want a working device; I don't care what firmware it's at, or whether or not it's jailbroken. Can anyone help me?

EDIT: I somehow got it to reboot through redsn0w, although I have no idea why. Still, it would be nice to figure out what's going on and why I can't remove the jailbreak and update without some kind of catastrophe going down

Last edited:

Touketsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
The first one was error 21, and the next attempt gave me error 6. There was a third one that I can't recall, but after that was when I started having trouble booting it.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Which hashes do you have saved ?
What firmware are you trying to restore to ?
Where does your host file point ? (gs.apple.com)
Mac or PC
Do you have the newest iTunes ?

Touketsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
I'm not sure; how would I check? Sorry; I'm mildly tech savvy, but I'm still kind of an idiot about this kind of thing.

I WAS trying to update to 6.0, but I'd prefer updating to the latest firmware with an untethered jailbreak, which is believe is 5.1.1. I'm currently at 5.0.1.

A Cydia page.

Mac.

Yes, I updated recently.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I'm not sure; how would I check? Sorry; I'm mildly tech savvy, but I'm still kind of an idiot about this kind of thing.

I WAS trying to update to 6.0, but I'd prefer updating to the latest firmware with an untethered jailbreak, which is believe is 5.1.1. I'm currently at 5.0.1.

A Cydia page.

Mac.

Yes, I updated recently.

Stay at 5.01 it is stable and 5.1.1 does not bring you anything new.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
If you are not tech savy, then just DF, restore as NEW and install the latest firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.