Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Those phone apps stretched on the 7" tabs will look awesome on a 10" tab :p

I still don't understand why different resolutions and/or aspect ratios is such a big problem all of a sudden. Developers have been dealing with this since the early 90's and web designers are dealing with it on a daily basis in the form of responsive design.

rocksyoursock

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
I'm really happy that there is a good android tablet out there on the market with a competitive price. I love my iPad and I am not switching over (I switched from Android phone and PC to Apple last year and am very happy with all my Apple products) but it's good to see some solid competition. Good competition benefits everyone :)

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
Lol

Lag on Verges review...and they said Nexus 7 has better materials... they mean better plastics. :p:p

The worlds higher resolution screen with stretched smartphone apps...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Resolution MAY be good, just like the Retina MacBook Pro..... People have that wow factor on a small device, but the same things always sticks...

Trying doing text on this thing without zooming.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
Competition is good

I for one am happy to see the Nexus get out there and possibly provide some real competition. This will force Apple to continue to innovate even more to stay ahead of the pack.

While it seems that this Nexus is pretty impressive, Google still needs to work on getting the apps out there.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
It's the OS

I have far more app crashing and reboots required to restore function with Ice Cream Sandwich than with the previous OS. I have not tried JellyBean because Moto (Google!!) won't issue it for my Driod.

My three year old iPhone running iOS 5 is more stable than ICS and every app that I use on both platforms is more stable on the iPhone. It is shocking. And then there is the keyboard......

Android is like a community hacked-together GUI running on top of Linux. It is actually a Google hacked-together GUI running on top of Linux.

Masputo14

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Arizona
I find it funny when a great product comes out and all people say on here is "Do we really need that many pixels??, who needs NFC, Even tho the Nexus10 has hdmi out, better screen, more capable OS, and is $100 cheaper the iPad is still the better option" Cant we give credit where credit is due?? :confused:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Apple stock dropped today under $590. It was over $700 a month ago, seems like the bubble is deflating.

Interesting times. The next couple of years are going to be great fun.

----------

There is only so many pixels you need in a tablet isn't there?

Unless it's Apple and then there is no limit how many pixels something should have! Their marketing and fans would make sure of that.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
What is this "Eco System" you are talking about? The big brother approach of Apple?

Honestly you should consider the benefits of Android being open. Yes, you are forced to act more reasonably (i.e. spare the data-mining free apps available, i.e. check an apps permissions before installing, i.e. read the fn reviews of the app). Nevertheless the openness is really great.

I personally love the possibility to have other sources for Apps than a single-company App Store. Actually some of Samsungs offerings are quite neat - so if you like them, go grab them at Samsungs Apps Store. Samsungs security suite is quite nice btw (and offers everything including forced wipe and phone tracking). Same applies to other vendors.

I also like some of the carrier specific Apps I own i.e. being able to synchronize my Adress Book to someone that is not Google but my carrier's server (which binds me to the carrier and not to the Smartphone OS) or having a widget showing me my data usage.

Heck - if I want a walled garden approach I just install the Amazon AppStore on Android. I can also get my Apps from there.

In short - what kind of benefit does the "Eco System"-approach bring?

You get the "Walled Garden" of your choosing. Nice catch phrase. I'll use it more often. ;)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I find it funny when a great product comes out and all people say on here is "Do we really need that many pixels??, who needs NFC, Even tho the Nexus10 has hdmi out, better screen, more capable OS, and is $100 cheaper the iPad is still the better option" Cant we give credit where credit is due?? :confused:

I don't mind giving credit at all, but on an external dsplay only.

I just have a issue pulling that high res. on this screen size. 2560x1600 is suited more for a large dsplay anyway, where it looks better. while 2048x1536 on the ipad 3 seems ok at a top range.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple's phrase "retina display" is supposed to indicate that there are so many pixels that the human eye can't see pixelation in normal use. So what's the practical advantage of having even more pixels? That you can put your face even closer to the display?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple's phrase "retina display" is supposed to indicate that there are so many pixels that the human eye can't see pixelation in normal use. So what's the practical advantage of having even more pixels? That you can put your face even closer to the display?

I always thought is was more, "you can't see the individual pixels when *zoomed in*"

I mean, Retina or non-REtina, i can't see pixels anyway,,, but zooming in reveals all.

Plus it looks sharper.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I may do the same. I'm starting to regret buying the iphone 5.
I went with a new iphone because I have the MBP and ipad and liked the sync. But I’m jealous of my friends Galaxy S III

heh heh. You can sell you Iphone 5 now, may be even more than what you pay for it. And the full unlock price of S3 is lower than Iphone 5 ...So you will make out pretty good financially. Why not switch today? :cool:

AppleOKC

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Speaking of tablets...

I have an iPad 3rd gen now and i love it. I was curious so I went to check out the Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ as you guys know its also android based.. and umm... android tablets are horrible.. I played with the HD+ it was laggy, it froze a couple of times.. and the worst part.. it rebooted on me on 2 separate tablets too! My friends Nexus 7 bought brand new also rebooted on him or was laggy to a point of being frozen.. so.. doesnt matter how many android tablets are pushed out there.. QUALITY > quantity. ;)

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
IMO Apple needs to do something new before consumers begin to shift...perhaps recent management shake-up is indicative of this.

Consumers are already shifting. 2 years ago 60% of people at my work had an iPhone, currently that number would be sitting closer to 30%. Google are moving in the right direction and it will not be long before the apps on the play store have caught up, some of them already have. Apple would have to blow me away with ios7 to make me switch back. Starting with some customization options.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Apple did no such thing.

If we rewind back to 2007, Bill Gates was probably the biggest, most vocal advocate of tablet computing, while Apple was mum on the issue, even though now we know that Apple was floating prototypes internally.

skunnykart

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Seriously?

You do realize that Apple created the tablet market, right? You also know that Apple reinvented the smart phone market (perhaps you really liked Blackberry and Windows mobile phones...)

This comment is the most ridiculous post I've ever seen here....and that's saying something. Congrats.

Did they really create the tablet market?

No, the market was already there. Business and Education has been using tablets for years before Apple made the iPad. Apple expanded the tablet market. They didn't create it. Same applies to the smart phone market.

Re-invent? So every time the market leader changes, that is a re-invention of the market?

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Trading in my iPad for a Nexus...after being able to customize the hell out of my galaxy s3 and in turn use it more efficiently...the iPad just feels frustratingly locked down.

I also like grippy rubber like that on the kindle over the cold metal on the iPad.

Apps will follow.

Google wins for my uses.

IMO Apple needs to do something new before consumers begin to shift...perhaps recent management shake-up is indicative of this.

Maybe they need something new for you, but why do you even care?

I hope they keep things the same. They're catering to their target market (the rest of us) just fine

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I still don't understand why different resolutions and/or aspect ratios is such a big problem all of a sudden. Developers have been dealing with this since the early 90's and web designers are dealing with it on a daily basis in the form of responsive design.

Two main reasons:

1-Touch targets sizes are directly linked to the screen size vs. a human finger. A mouse driven platform doesn't really have to care about that. A mouse cursor will still have a 1 pixel click size on any screen, wether it's 11" or 50" .

2-Mobile devices are small by definition, and so are their screen. It's much more important on a mobile device with a small screen not to waste screen estate like so many Androids apps seem to do when running on tablets.

So dealing with different resolutions and/or aspect ratios is such a big problem all of a sudden because mobile touch based devices are important all of a sudden.

Responsive design and what Android does to deal with that comes with tradeoffs. There's no way to automagically adapt a layout so that it is always perfectly optimized at any screen size. Human intervention is needed to optimize and in some cases rethink interfaces to take full advantage of a bigger/smaller screen.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Wait, what?

Okay, so I didn't read the full article, so maybe that's why I'm confused, but I'd imagine an Android tablet being a lot more capable of replacing a laptop than an iPad :confused:

the verge is nuts. An ipad cant even replace my netbook, let alone my macbook.

android is a little better for laptop replacement, but they are not there yet.

Future is coming, and i am looking forward to it.

----------

If we rewind back to 2007, Bill Gates was probably the biggest, most vocal advocate of tablet computing, while Apple was mum on the issue, even though now we know that Apple was floating prototypes internally.

Might have to rewind a little more than that, maybe 2002?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
the verge is nuts. An ipad cant even replace my netbook, let alone my macbook.

android is a little better for laptop replacement, but they are not there yet.

Future is coming, and i am looking forward to it.

----------

Might have to rewind a little more than that, maybe 2002?

Maybe so. Either way, Apple did not create the tablet segment, they just kick-started it, which shows foresight, a sound business acumen, and savvy software and hardware design.

iMLo

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Did they really create the tablet market?

No, the market was already there. Business and Education has been using tablets for years before Apple made the iPad. Apple expanded the tablet market. They didn't create it. Same applies to the smart phone market.

Re-invent? So every time the market leader changes, that is a re-invention of the market?

Did you use any of the "tablets" on the market before the iPad? Talk about crap. When a product is introduced that completely changes the course of all subsequent products...I'd say that's pretty big. It's no accident that all modern tablets and smartphones are essentially an evolution of the first iPhone and iPad.

But of course...as you said, Apple hasn't done anything novel. They are essentially just a marketing firm :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I like the competition for Apple in this space now. Surface/Nexus etc....

I hope it kicks Apple in the butt so they will find a way to innovate the user experience and advance the interface. Hopefully.

You know, Apple wasn't first to market with touch devices or tablets, but they were the first company to make the concept sing and dance and be an immersive and fun experience.

I'm still kind of trying to wrap my head around how Microsuck seems to have beaten them to the punch with Windows 8. Win8 lacks the intuitive nature of an Apple os with the interface and ease of use, but we expect that from a windows product.

Lion and Mountain Lion to me where kind of like IOS threw up on OSX and they called it an upgrade. They do need to advance the interface... but they really need to be doing this to the Mac. Microsoft is in the spot where Apple should have been well before them.

Once upon a time, there was this company called Apple...and they were #1 in personal computers and had the best OS. Then one day, they were on a respirator and near death because a subpar knock off took over the world and nearly put them out of business in a place called Redmond. While I don't see things going quite that bad for Apple again, I can see the tablet market moving that way and faster than people think.

Both IOS and OSX need some love, and maybe some procreation... because that would be one cute baby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.