Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay7872

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Seriously?

Ok lets call it already, people attacking each other over the whole situation that happened with hurricane sandy. i happen to live in one of the devastated areas ( yes i'm here just get away from all the chaos we are going through) to have everyone attacking each other does absolutely nothing so lets relax can we

Apple decided to return to business and open their stores and launch another product. for those that care, GREAT , for those that really dont ( like me) its not that big of a deal. Lets just hope apple reaches into their pocket and gives back to a city which houses about 5 of their stores. I dont have a problem with them being opened today ( hey its a sign that things are beginning to return to normal) but lets at least have some donations to a city that helps drive your profits sky high ( flagship apple store 5th Ave). to fight off those who think im a fandroid i actually own a 4s, ipad 2 and imac 2011 so lets stop that right here and now.

to those who said perhaps those should be dragging dead bodies out the tunnels and making donations and *****. i find that highly offensive..these arent just dead bodies, there are people who died due to sandy. if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all..really it isnt asking for much. perhaps those individuals did make a donation ,did help out as much as they could **** at least they did SOMETHING. i can bet you that a large number of those attacking others due to their expression of apple launch and the hurricane didnt contribute or very few of them did..

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Won't sell well.
Overpriced.
Crappy screen.
No market niche.
Nexus 7 is better.
No Retina.
CPU is old.
RAM is weak.
Tim Cook's major failure.
Apple's greed is unrelenting.

:rolleyes:

This is true, except is isn't selling as well as iPad original. Nice device but screen is a let down. It's kinda like flying first class, it sux to fly economy again..

Last edited:

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Racism

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

He's not being racist. It is true that Asian people will buy apple products to resell for a profit overseas. I work at a retail store and see it all the time, and yes they're mostly Asian. Just because someone fits into a certain stereotype doesn't make it racist. I'm Hispanic and I love burritos.

Oh and I think apple restricts 2 iPads per customer and some stores just 1 to combat resellers.

Asian is not a race!!! Asia has several races. Which Asian country are you talking about? Israel is in Asia, India is in Asian, Japan is in Asia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Mongolia, parts of Russia! Be more specific. I hate the term Asian. Too generic.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
That's mad... I picked mine up from PC World here in Ireland this morning and there was absolutely no one waiting. We don't have an official Apple store in this country unfortunately so I wonder if this queue phenomenon is less pronounced with resellers because they're more of them.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I'm one of those few folks who said "Nahh, I'm gonna pass on the Mini." Somewhat in denial of the fact that I'm a gadget nerd & programmer for a living, not to mention convinced that Apple uses some subliminal messaging techniques....

It was inevitable, my acquisition of the 64GB Mini that is. While out looking for a gas station with fuel (I'm in a hard-hit area on the south shore of Long Island), I "randomly" stopped at a local Best Buy. All they had left at that point were black Minis of various sizes. White seems to be in higher demand.

The local Apple store didn't sell out either; they still had 32GB in white and black and 64GB in black around 2pm here. Sandy is likely the damper on the launch here, despite that many people are not at work or school and are out and about.

Bruce Oksol

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Texas
Incredible!

This is true, except is isn't selling as well as iPad original. Nice device but screen is a let down. It's kinda like flying first class, it sux to fly economy again..

For certain applications, retinal display will be nice, no doubt, but for 99% of us, including all the Asians buying the device for resale, the iPad mini is absolutely incredible. I wasn't planning to buy one, but I was curious. I couldn't believe how incredible it was. It is absolutely gorgeous. Even without retinal it makes my blog look awesome.

The Boston flagship store on Boylston opened at 8:00 a.m. and was sold out by 8:43. When I got there at about 8:43 (the very time, they were starting to tell folks that no more minis were available, but more coming in daily), there were about 30 folks in line.

I assume Apple bases daily deliveries on previous days sales at each store, and that's why stores themselves don't know how many they will be getting.

My hunch is that Apple has daily deliveries to retail stores down to a real science. These supply issues are not manufactured (no pun intended). Apple could simply keep manufacturing 110% of what they need, stacking them in warehouses, and then releasing them when they have more than they need for that particular point in time, but then we would be waiting several months to even have a chance to buy them, and Apple would be paying for warehouse rental.

This is not rocket science.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
just released this morning. Everyone just didn't throw away their iPad 1,2,3. Plus there are other tablets to consider.

No and it will sell well, Xmas is around the corner, how many kids u think want of of those under the tree? :) BUT I prefer the retina screen, and as you say, haven't thrown my ipad3 out, typing on it as we speak. For movies, the low res display is fine, reading, not so much.

Of course we all know what the "new iPad mini 2" will have in 6 months time right? :)

franktho

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
They're pulling corpses out of the water and these people are lining up to buy the latest gadget. I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact people in this area are buying or that Apple is selling.

How do you know that someone in that line today wasn't a first responder (or the family of one) who just wanted a break from this past week? Should they also shut down movie theatres and Broadway shows and Wall Street jobs and Starbucks?

I don't believe it is appropriate to make a rush to judgement about 'these people'.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Asian is not a race!!! Asia has several races. Which Asian country are you talking about? Israel is in Asia, India is in Asian, Japan is in Asia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Mongolia, parts of Russia! Be more specific. I hate the term Asian. Too generic.

I never said they were. The people who come in the store are Indian, Chinese, and Korean mostly. They're all from Asia. Therefore Asian. I don't see the problem. I'm American and I am Hispanic. I don't get offended if someone says I'm American overseas.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
For certain applications, retinal display will be nice, no doubt, but for 99% of us, including all the Asians buying the device for resale, the iPad mini is absolutely incredible. I wasn't planning to buy one, but I was curious. I couldn't believe how incredible it was. It is absolutely gorgeous. Even without retinal it makes my blog look awesome.

The Boston flagship store on Boylston opened at 8:00 a.m. and was sold out by 8:43. When I got there at about 8:43 (the very time, they were starting to tell folks that no more minis were available, but more coming in daily), there were about 30 folks in line.

I assume Apple bases daily deliveries on previous days sales at each store, and that's why stores themselves don't know how many they will be getting.

My hunch is that Apple has daily deliveries to retail stores down to a real science. These supply issues are not manufactured (no pun intended). Apple could simply keep manufacturing 110% of what they need, stacking them in warehouses, and then releasing them when they have more than they need for that particular point in time, but then we would be waiting several months to even have a chance to buy them, and Apple would be paying for warehouse rental.

This is not rocket science.

No but I don't think they made that many to begin with, they weren't sure how many they would sell. Boston apple store may be out of stock but in Australia apparently the retailers here have plenty of stock. Stock will be lower, they are launching 22 countries in 1 go. Usually it's 6-7 countries. Still, I wish they put the guts of the nexus7 into this thing, it would be so much more value. Of course when you own the market you can afford to be complacent.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
We got an Asian couple here in our company who religiously take the week of new releases off to buy massive amounts of stock between them to sell them via a family member overseas. They flew over with about 20 4S and already have about 15 iPhone 5 (they came around the department and asked if we want to buy some). His brother sold the 4S for $1500 and he sold them all.

Not racist, but certainly part of the iVironment (see what I did there).

Thanks for your anecdotal evidence. Your shrewd observation of 'Asians' must be true then. Now I feel compelled as an Asian to go in line just to scam your 'iVironment' :rolleyes:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Thanks for your anecdotal evidence. Your shrewd observation of 'Asians' must be true then. Now I feel compelled as an Asian to go in line just to scam your 'iVironment' :rolleyes:

To be fair though - we have similarities here - people pay stupid prices on eBay just to get their hands on iTools early - but I was shocked how much they pay in Asia.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Won't sell well.
Overpriced.
Crappy screen.
No market niche.
Nexus 7 is better.
No Retina.
CPU is old.
RAM is weak.
Tim Cook's major failure.
Apple's greed is unrelenting.

It's rumored that Apple only had 1000 iPad Mini units in stock for each store. Tim Cook messed up on getting sufficient inventory. That's why it sold out. That was the main reason Apple shares lost another $20. :p

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I never said they were. The people who come in the store are Indian, Chinese, and Korean mostly. They're all from Asia. Therefore Asian. I don't see the problem. I'm American and I am Hispanic. I don't get offended if someone says I'm American overseas.
What store do you work at?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
No and it will sell well, Xmas is around the corner, how many kids u think want of of those under the tree? :) BUT I prefer the retina screen, and as you say, haven't thrown my ipad3 out, typing on it as we speak. For movies, the low res display is fine, reading, not so much.

Of course we all know what the "new iPad mini 2" will have in 6 months time right? :)
I played with the mini for a couple of minutes. Not having the retina display just didn't seem like a big deal.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Two hours huh? Thats hardly a winner..... It could be just low stock. P,us, the lines wen't as long.... Thats tells me everthing.

So judge on big lines :)

pig pile

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Kids like customization. They will go with Android.

but their parents will not like more customization, they prefer a controlled environment. apple will decimate the competition with the mini in the 8-13 demographic. another thing, kids that young won't give a crap about retina either

iPastor

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
My quick observation...

I stood in line at Best Buy this AM, there were only 6 of us at 8AM. They had about 25 iPads available. I got mine, and got out.

I went to the Apple Store at 8:30A, they had about 75 units on the Genius Bar, with 8 of them being white. They said majority wanted white. I agree, the white is nice in the mini. It just looked as good as the iPhone, to my eye.

I got my mini out at home. The screen is a slight setback as I am used to the retina display on my 4G LTE iPad. But, I'm getting used to it. The black shows my finger prints everywhere and its noticeable. My kids left their prints everywhere too.

I am thinking I will go with the white mini LTE in a couple weeks, and possibly sell my iPad. The small size is very nice, and with my folio case coming, will be just about right for 90% of what I do. Works great for the web, and I love the Kindle App!

Last edited:

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Selling out doesn't mean it was a huge success. All it means at this point is that they sold what they had. We have no idea how many they had. Maybe it was a big hit and maybe it wasn't, but that can't be determined with the limited info at this time. Maybe they only got 5 devices and sold all 5.

Piper Jeffarray think 1 to 1.5m units over the next three days and it will be supply constrained. We will find out on Monday..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsav...ster-sees-first-weekend-mini-sales-of-1-1-5m/

Apple this morning is launching sales of the iPad Mini, triggering the usual Street speculation on opening weekend sales. Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster thinks the company can sell 1 million to 1.5 million iPads for the three-day period.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
but their parents will not like more customization, they prefer a controlled environment. apple will decimate the competition with the mini in the 8-13 demographic. another thing, kids that young won't give a crap about retina either

Nope... I even get a headache sometimes from constantly using my ipad 3 for long periods, and i'm in my 30's.

Then again, if you've seen the stream on Microsoft, what about the Windows 8 phone, those kids on stage certainly liked it.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
It's very nice

I have to say that I was a little skeptical, but I think the iPad Mini is a really nice product. My wife got one for her birthday and I really like the size and weight of it. I makes the full-sized iPad seem huge and overweight in comparison. It's much more pleasant to hold..especially for long periods of time. This is definitely the future of iPad computing. The front facing camera is noticeably sharper compared to the 3rd gen iPad.

The screen is not retina but it definitely looks better than an iPad2 even though it's the same resolution. Shrinking those pixels helped to compensate for the relatively weak resolution. I'm sure they'll release a retina version eventually but they're going to have to wait for the technology to mature (become cheaper/lighter/thinner).

The smart cover seems better thought out for this device also. I noticed that when you stand up the iPad Mini in landscape mode it rests at a much more natural angle than the 3rd gen iPad in the smart cover. The 3rd gen iPad almost feels like it's going to fall forward and crash but the angle that the iPad mini sits at is perfect.

If you do a lot of traveling I think this iPad is a much better choice...it's much smaller and lighter but still quite pleasant to use. :) I just might have to get one also. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.