Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone Rattle?

• Go to Apple and get a replacement now!

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Ignore it, it's nothing.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

brokenbuyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2011
So I noticed that I had a rattle in the camera lenses/power button area. It's not very loud, but an annoying clicking sound.

Should I bring it to the store to get it fixed/replaced?

And if I get it replaced, how were people setting up as new. But putting their messages/etc through iCloud back on?

Greg748

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
hey mate,
at first when i found out that tapping the top of my iphone glass caused a rattle i instantly googled it.

turns out it is normal for everyone with iphone 5

the iphone 4s does the same thing (tested on my old phone)

there were cases of people going to apple and apple staff not knowing about it and they did replace it altho the replacement will do the same thing.

if you do get a new one best way is icloud backup :)

brokenbuyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2011
hey mate,
at first when i found out that tapping the top of my iphone glass caused a rattle i instantly googled it.

turns out it is normal for everyone with iphone 5

the iphone 4s does the same thing (tested on my old phone)

there were cases of people going to apple and apple staff not knowing about it and they did replace it altho the replacement will do the same thing.

if you do get a new one best way is icloud backup :)

So there's no need to get a replacement? I'd prefer a repair/ignore since I don't want to deal with taking off screen/body protectors and getting that reapplied.

iBaloney

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
i have the same issue. Even when i hold down the lock button theres still a rattle when i tap the upper segment of the phone.

I guess its not really a big deal. Though it does get a tad annoying sometimes.

For those that have had it replaced, did you get brand new iphones?

nsolo

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
iphone 5 rattle

My service provider replaced my first iphone 5 because of the rattling issue. It was so bad that when my phone vibrated, the rattle would persist and the vibrating feature on my phone was no longer quiet.

Once the replacement arrived, the new phone rattled equally as bad, if not worse. I am contemplating whether or not I should use the new phone or keep my current one and send the new one back since it has the same issue. All my iphone 4/4s friends do not report any rattling. Pretty disappointed but it appears there is no solution.

swains.mate

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
My iphone 4 is literally beat to **** and there is absolutely no rattle. Thats why I was surprised to hear you say it happens to 4s users too.

It blows my mind that theyd release the 5 with a design flaw as major as that. My old droid 2 used to have a rattle when it vibrated and it made the phone feel like ****.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So I noticed that I had a rattle in the camera lenses/power button area. It's not very loud, but an annoying clicking sound.

Should I bring it to the store to get it fixed/replaced?

And if I get it replaced, how were people setting up as new. But putting their messages/etc through iCloud back on?

The rattle is 100% normal. Just part of the camera optics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.