Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoneu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
I've always thought that Apple Resellers are bound by contract to sell at set prices (RRP) and what not.

Recently the iPhone 5 launched in Macau and there's a local reseller who was selling phones (without contract) at a 250USD premium per unit on top of what ever pricing they were selling it in Hong Kong (closes country with an apple store with the same currency)

Anyone have any insight on this? A large bunch of us queued up but we have a friend who caved and paid the premium. The rest of us just left in protest.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've always thought that Apple Resellers are bound by contract to sell at set prices (RRP) and what not.
Resellers can sell at any prices they choose. Apple cannot dictate what prices resellers charge.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
They can indirectly. If a reseller charges above MSRP, Apple (or any other company) can legally stop providing product to that reseller if they wish to. Page 2.

Yes, they can elect not to sell to them, but they cannot set prices charged by resellers.
Q: One of my suppliers marks its products with a manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP). Do i have to charge this price?
A: The keyword is “suggested.” A dealer is free to set the retail price of the products it sells. A dealer can set the price at the MSRP or at a different price, as long as the dealer comes to that decision on its own. However, the manufacturer can decide not to use distributors that do not adhere to its MSRP.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.