Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
Yes it does, I am the quality control.

If it's s*** - No.
If it wants access to too much of my data - No.
If it has poor reviwes - No.
If it is from a dev with a poor reputation - No.

If the app has good reviews, has the permissions I'd expect, a good developer reputation and does what I need, I'll buy/use it.

I do not need anyone else to vet what can and can not be run on my Android devices thank you.

Yeah get your point, But why not have all that noise automatically culled from the iOS store.. I don't wanna trawl through heaps of rubbish. I trust Apple to weed out the rubbish and do the quality control. Pointless having to do the quality control yourself, PLUS you be left with the majority of Tablet users having a poor experience.

Last edited:

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie
I may do the same. I'm starting to regret buying the iphone 5.
I went with a new iphone because I have the MBP and ipad and liked the sync. But I’m jealous of my friends Galaxy S III
heh heh. You can sell you Iphone 5 now, may be even more than what you pay for it. And the full unlock price of S3 is lower than Iphone 5 ...So you will make out pretty good financially. Why not switch today? :cool:

Trolling to a new level.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Verge seems to be Apple's *****. Even though I'm a Mac & iOS user, they really like to kiss Apple's butt..

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Lost of newbies here commenting, hmm.. marketers perhaps?

Lost of comments about wanting to sorting through the app nightmare, making their own decisions about quality of apps and malware, pretty pretentious of them. Typical of many Nerds, so much smarter than, well the rest of us and they certainly know whats the best for us. Reminds me a lot of early windose fanboys. The smugness of the samsung phone adds are backfiring, now desperation is setting in the tablet market.

Most consumers just want something that works well, don't understand nor want to filter through all the reviews and mine fields. Easy decisions.

Its nice to have choices. I'm waiting for some real world reviews...... a drop test anyone? It there a take apart yet?

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Ever heard of vector scaling? All top end android apps utilize this, so regardless of how the image is displayed on screen it never loses it's pixel density. Ie. it can be scaled up and down with no loss of quality.

Do they really? So what happens when you take an image with one pixel wide lines and scale it up by 50 percent? Suddenly you get lines that are 1.5 pixels wide?

Making vector graphics that scales is an art. Font designers know how to do it, if they are good, but there are few of those, and they have twenty years of practice. The graphics artists that get hired to supply dozens or hundreds of images for an app, they can't do it.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
The Nexus 10 is pretty great for a $399 tablet, but just remembered that Apple is still selling the iPad 2 for $399..

Despite Nexus 10 having such a high resolution, I think It'll be difficult not getting an iPad 2 instead..

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
dither, dear

Do they really? So what happens when you take an image with one pixel wide lines and scale it up by 50 percent? Suddenly you get lines that are 1.5 pixels wide?

Making vector graphics that scales is an art. Font designers know how to do it, if they are good, but there are few of those, and they have twenty years of practice. The graphics artists that get hired to supply dozens or hundreds of images for an app, they can't do it.

You apply dithering, no? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither )

By the way, how can a vector graphics image say that an object is "one pixel wide"?

By definition don't vector graphics images describe the components at a more abstract level, and let the display engine light the pixels?

skunnykart

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Did you use any of the "tablets" on the market before the iPad? Talk about crap. When a product is introduced that completely changes the course of all subsequent products...I'd say that's pretty big. It's no accident that all modern tablets and smartphones are essentially an evolution of the first iPhone and iPad.

But of course...as you said, Apple hasn't done anything novel. They are essentially just a marketing firm :rolleyes:

Yes people did use tablets before the iPad, in Business and Education. They were not crap.

And speaking of "evolution" the iPhone and the iPad are products of tech evolution too. Not the origin/genesis of tablets and smart phones.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Did they really create the tablet market?

No, the market was already there. Business and Education has been using tablets for years before Apple made the iPad. Apple expanded the tablet market. They didn't create it. Same applies to the smart phone market.

Re-invent? So every time the market leader changes, that is a re-invention of the market?

For all intents and purposes, the tablet market pre-ipad was all hut non-existent. My school used them, and I finally understand why the ipad is as popular as it is. The tablet laptops had crappy trackpads which caused the cursor to randomly jump to different parts of the screen if you so much as look at it wrong. Writing in the touchscreen with a stylus was cumbersome as well when your palm might just cause some accident like upsetting the layout of the page when I shift my wrist.

Apple took a market with non-existent market share and propelled it until the word ipad is now in the tip of everyone's tongue. That's as good as creating a brand new market in my book.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I traded in my iPad for the latest Transformer as well, but I am not interested with Nexus 10 at all.

Too high resolution in any Android device won't be great, since you need volcanic hardware power to drive that. My TF700T has one of the finest display I have come across after Retina, but the Tegra 3 inside does not have really volcanic power and running non THD games may suck.

However the major thing that make me love my Transformer is the convenience of file transfer, since it allows USB connectivity to all kind of USB storage, even external HDD that doesn't need Y-cable. If Nexus doesn't allow these users cannot take the most advantage of an Android tablet.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
I have a question: if the ipad3/4 display is retina quality, meaning one's eye cannot discern a particular pixel, then what is the advantage of making the pixels any smaller?

If you can't see the individual pixels then you can't see more pixels then why have more pixels?

The screen cannot get better. Therefore the Nexus 10 does not have a better screen because you can't see it.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
You apply dithering, no? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither )

By the way, how can a vector graphics image say that an object is "one pixel wide"?

By definition don't vector graphics images describe the components at a more abstract level, and let the display engine light the pixels?

Have a look at these links. Vectors are less efficient for the computer and don't always work for icons. Anyway, the complaint of the lack of Android tablet apps is not the clarity of graphics, but the interfaces. Blown up phone interfaces waste space and have low information density which makes the app inefficient.

http://www.firewheeldesign.com/sparkplug/2006/April/icon_design_bitmap_vs_vector.php

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/30111/why-dont-more-games-use-vector-art

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
Different specs for different markets. The Nexus 10 is intended for users who watch a lot videos ....Wide high-res screen, front facing speakers, etc.

Choices, that's what I like about Android devices. I wish Apple would come out with a wide screen iPad. I'm sick of the black bars on my HD videos.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Have a look at these links. Vectors are less efficient for the computer and don't always work for icons. Anyway, the complaint of the lack of Android tablet apps is not the clarity of graphics, but the interfaces. Blown up phone interfaces waste space and have low information density which makes the app inefficient.

http://www.firewheeldesign.com/sparkplug/2006/April/icon_design_bitmap_vs_vector.php

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/30111/why-dont-more-games-use-vector-art

Blown up phone apps look much better on Android than they are on iOS but how is that even relevant? There are plenty of Android apps (and definitely all major apps) that are optimized for whatever screen they are run on. I can assure you that Android Google Maps on Android tablet looks much better than any map app on iPad. Same is true about Chrome, Youtube, Google Now, etc. It's true that there are more apps optimized for iPad than for Android tablets but the gap is shrinking rapidly. Many lazy journalists simply quote the number of iPad specific apps on App Store. But they can't say what 's the number of tablet optimized apps in Google Play because tablet optimized apps are not listed separately there. That's actually an advantage of Android as th apps get optimized for a multitude of screen resolutions. When do you expect Apple will be able to match Nexus 10 resolution on iPad? Hard to tell. But I am pretty sure that without revamping iOS it's never going to happen.

Renzatic

Suspended
Yeah get your point, But why not have all that noise automatically culled from the iOS store.. I don't wanna trawl through heaps of rubbish. I trust Apple to weed out the rubbish and do the quality control. Pointless having to do the quality control yourself, PLUS you be left with the majority of Tablet users having a poor experience.

There's plenty of crap on the app store. The only difference between it and Android is it isn't potentially dangerous crap.

Yevhen

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Hey, Nexus is a cool device. If I wasn't already tied into the Apple "ecosystem", I'd probably choose Nexus over the iPad. However, I must say that I am very impressed with my iPad mini so far.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I have a question: if the ipad3/4 display is retina quality, meaning one's eye cannot discern a particular pixel, then what is the advantage of making the pixels any smaller?

If you can't see the individual pixels then you can't see more pixels then why have more pixels?

The screen cannot get better. Therefore the Nexus 10 does not have a better screen because you can't see it.

Well, "if" is the operative word here. Retina is simply Apple's PR gimmick. They floated it when they got a high resolution panel from LG. Do you really think that LG was thinking about eye retina? Or perhaps they were just releasing what was technically feasible at the time? Anyhow, there are many studies that put actual retina resolution higher than it is on iPhone. And then there is an issue of the distance from the eye to the screen. When Apple released iPad "retina" the PPI was not that great but Apple said that people keep tablets much farther from the eyes than they do phones. Maybe they do but perhaps not as far as Apple wanted them to. First reviews claim that Nexus screens do look better than iPad (at least resolution wise). Let's just go with that for now.

----------

There's plenty of crap on the app store. The only difference between it and Android is it isn't potentially dangerous crap.

Why? We had plenty of examples where iOS developers were able to put to the App Store the apps that were doing something they were not supposed to. How do you think Apple can verify that? The developers do not give Apple the source code. If anything Android permission system is much more developed than that of iOS.

Last edited:

iMLo

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Yes people did use tablets before the iPad, in Business and Education. They were not crap.

And speaking of "evolution" the iPhone and the iPad are products of tech evolution too. Not the origin/genesis of tablets and smart phones.

Yes, they were used in business, to a very minor degree. Their appeal was wide but people found out they were crap and stopped buying them. Plain and simple.
I actually have one sitting on my shelf at work...never really used. (I'm the Information Director for a regional health center)

Of course the iPhone and iPad were evoloutions of technology...The point is that before they existed there were only very basic forms of these devices on the market and Apple created a novel revolutionary device that actually met user expectations. This is why it was sucessful and nearly every smartphone and tablet since has followed their lead.

I actually like this Android tablet and I really like Google as a company. Some of my friends use Android devices and like them. They are cool...but you can't deny that all modern tablets and smartphones got a cue from Apple...so calling Apple not innovative is ludicrous.

Droymac

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
Portland, OR
Wait, what?

Okay, so I didn't read the full article, so maybe that's why I'm confused, but I'd imagine an Android tablet being a lot more capable of replacing a laptop than an iPad :confused:

Wait until Google Store starts to see more apps tailored for tablets. That's when the real tablet wars will begin.

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
i love both..i have androids/apple... android needs to step up their tablet apps to look like tablet apps not mobile looking..still new im sure over time it will nice..

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
heh heh. You can sell you Iphone 5 now, may be even more than what you pay for it. And the full unlock price of S3 is lower than Iphone 5 ...So you will make out pretty good financially. Why not switch today? :cool:

I see...So how long have you worked for Samsung?

----------

Blown up phone apps look much better on Android than they are on iOS but how is that even relevant? There are plenty of Android apps (and definitely all major apps) that are optimized for whatever screen they are run on. I can assure you that Android Google Maps on Android tablet looks much better than any map app on iPad. Same is true about Chrome, Youtube, Google Now, etc. It's true that there are more apps optimized for iPad than for Android tablets but the gap is shrinking rapidly. Many lazy journalists simply quote the number of iPad specific apps on App Store. But they can't say what 's the number of tablet optimized apps in Google Play because tablet optimized apps are not listed separately there. That's actually an advantage of Android as th apps get optimized for a multitude of screen resolutions. When do you expect Apple will be able to match Nexus 10 resolution on iPad? Hard to tell. But I am pretty sure that without revamping iOS it's never going to happen.

How pathetic is the life of a person who HATES Apple, but spends their free time on an Apple rumor site spewing hatred about Apple. Get a life!!!!

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
What bubble? :confused:

The OP is like many ill-informed people who pay too much attention to the price of the stock and not enough attention to other factors.

Apple trades at a multiple of 13x earnings. That means that if Apple's EPS were to remain flat over the next 13 years, Apple will post a cumulative profit equal to its market cap in 13 years.

Contrast that to Google, which trades at a 21x multiple. Using the same reasoning described above, Google will be able to post a cumulative profit equal to its market cap within 21 years.

Even when Apple's stock price was at $700, it was trading at only 16x earnings, which is less than what Google was trading at.

I have yet to understand why people like to call Apple a bubble. I mean, yeah, their stock price is high, but they have a the revenue and earnings to back it up.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
How pathetic is the life of a person who HATES Apple, but spends their free time on an Apple rumor site spewing hatred about Apple. Get a life!!!!

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Lilo doesn't just spend all of his time on an Apple forum, he also frequents Apple articles on other sites to complain about Apple. ;)

skunnykart

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Yes, they were used in business, to a very minor degree. Their appeal was wide but people found out they were crap and stopped buying them. Plain and simple.
I actually have one sitting on my shelf at work...never really used. (I'm the Information Director for a regional health center)

Of course the iPhone and iPad were evoloutions of technology...The point is that before they existed there were only very basic forms of these devices on the market and Apple created a novel revolutionary device that actually met user expectations. This is why it was sucessful and nearly every smartphone and tablet since has followed their lead.

I actually like this Android tablet and I really like Google as a company. Some of my friends use Android devices and like them. They are cool...but you can't deny that all modern tablets and smartphones got a cue from Apple...so calling Apple not innovative is ludicrous.

From a marketing perspective, you are definitely correct on Apple taking the lead and others following.

But from a technological stand point. No. What Apple came up with was not revolutionary. But I am not saying that Apple is not innovative. They are. And they have been very successful and I have been completely enjoying their products and sending them bucket loads of my cash to them.

We're straying from the main discussion here but...is Apple as innovative as they make themselves out to be? For some things yes (most definitely YES) but for some things it is just marketing BS. Sometimes they bring out old technology, call it something different, make it look different and slap on slogans like "re-invented" or "re-imagined" and get away with cheap innovation.

Sony R&D (not anymore but in the 90s and early 2000s) was truly innovative both in terms of design and engineering. If only their marketing was as good as Apple's we would all be chanting "Sony" instead of "Apple" in our daily prayers.

Unlike you, I don't like the android tablet (so far) because Apple does it so much better, but you can't give Apple credit for everything. Apple wouldn't have been able to bring out the iPhone if there was no Palm, or HP, or Microsoft, IBM, Nokia, Sony...and so forth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.