Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hi everyone :)

What do you guys call your parents? As in, when you're talking to them, do you call them Mum and Dad, Ma and Pop, or do you call them by their first name?

When I was little I called my parents Mummy and Daddy, and now I just call them by their first names, which a lot of people find weird. When I'm talking about my parents to other people I say 'My Mum' or 'My Dad' but when I'm talking to them I call them by their first names :eek:

So what does everyone else call their parents?

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
They taught me to call them by their first name. The funny thing is that the few times I've heard people call their parents by their first name, it sounded very, very weird, even to me. :eek:

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
calling your parents by their first names is weird.

just curious ... do you think this is what your Mom wanted? ... for you to stop calling her Mom and addressing her by her first name instead.

I have never met a Mom that would want that.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
My mom & dad are in their late 70's and not a one of us 5 boys ever called them anything but mom & dad. To their face anyways. LOL!

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161

just curious ... do you think this is what your Mom wanted? ... for you to stop calling her Mom and addressing her by her first name instead.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: they taught me to call them by their names.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Always been "mom" and "dad" to me, of course it was "mommy" and "daddy" as a child. However, my grandmother on my mom's side was always "Gruffer" to me and my siblings; apparently one of my older sisters' could not pronounce "grandmother" when she was little, and called her that instead. The name stuck with every one of us youngins. ;)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

I wouldn't think they'd care, really. Why would it matter? :)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Always the first name.

When my mother first mentioned that it bugged her, it was already too late - everything else felt artificial. And actually it makes pretty much sense I guess since that's what names are used for.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Plain ol Mum and Dad.

If they're in trouble (funny how that works now) I use their first names but in Polish. We don't even speak Polish, it just happened like that.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Call my real mom and step-mom by their first names, but didn't start calling my real mom by that until I was about 23. Have always called my dad, dad or pops.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
I call my parents by their first names. I've been calling them by their first names since I was 10.

The only person that I don't call by their real name is my grandma.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Plain ol Mum and Dad.

If they're in trouble (funny how that works now) I use their first names but in Polish. We don't even speak Polish, it just happened like that.

That reminds me on my polish friends during my childhood, who, when they had an argument with their parents, switched immediately to Polish and after all was settled (rather loudly) everybody kept on talking in perfect German to me. Kind of funny situation as I always tried to guess what was the deal....

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Mum and Dad, I call my Step-Mum by her first name.

Started calling my Dad "Father" for a joke a few years back and it started to stick, when I call him that he refers to me as "Son". As he's 45 it's mainly "Old Man".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.