Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acuriouslad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
Pretty well non-existent on my Macbook Air (current generation), I have been putting up with it thinking it might just be an occasional thing but its rather the occasional time with wake from sleep like it should within 1.5 seconds or so. I'm waiting like 15sec sometimes and it is unresponsive. I have also noticed that my wallpaper appears sometimes behind my Login box (my account is password protected) and sometimes it's the default Lion wallpaper :confused:

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than formatting and starting again? I don't want to spend a day solving this if I don't have to.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I have the same problem with my 2010 MBA. Formatting and reinstalling the operating system does not help. I've had the laptop at an Apple Store for two weeks for testing and they found nothing out of the ordinary. All I've been told is that this kind of delay is "normal" in Mountain Lion. That even the Retina MBP has a delay. However, of course there is limit to what kind of a delay is acceptable. I will probably take the MBA back there at some point.

We can hope that Apple will fix this, but then again... this has been a problem since the release of Lion and has only gotten worse so far...

A thing I have noticed to help with this is: close all programs before closing the lid of the laptop. There will still be a delay, but less often and it will be less severe. Of course this will make Power Nap pretty useless as a feature.

Funny thing is that my old 2008 MBP (on Mountain Lion) has no delay ever.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Mine was "instant" the first time i fired up lol after that nah, anyway it only takes couple of secs to start if its shutdown and awakes almost instant; only have problem when its closed for long time then it takes some seconds for the keyboard to respond to type password.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
try this in Terminal:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 2

It sets your Air to not suspend RAM to the SSD until your battery hits Critical low. Your Sleep will spend a bit more battery, but your Instant Wake should be back.

I just wish it didn't take my Air longer to shut down than a 15in Pro with a HDD.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Do people with this problem have a lot of background programs running? I've never had an issue, but I also make it a point to have as few startup and background programs as possible. The only things I actually allow are email, Evernote, Caffeine, and Battery Health. Sometimes the email app causes some problems when I shut down - try force quitting that before putting the computer to sleep.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
try this in Terminal:

It sets your Air to not suspend RAM to the SSD until your battery hits Critical low. Your Sleep will spend a bit more battery, but your Instant Wake should be back.

I just wish it didn't take my Air longer to shut down than a 15in Pro with a HDD.

I was unable to find any official Apple information on what hibernatemode 2 actually is. Only good information Google provided was to do with hibernation modes 0, 3 and 25

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I was unable to find any official Apple information on what hibernatemode 2 actually is. Only good information Google provided was to do with hibernation modes 0, 3 and 25

I'm searching for where I originally got it from, but I no longer have an Instant wake issues.

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
My 2010 MBP with Snow Leopard on a HDD was more 'instant on' than my 2012 13" MBA lol.

acuriouslad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
try this in Terminal:

This sounds good, does it drain the battery a lot?

Do people with this problem have a lot of background programs running? I've never had an issue, but I also make it a point to have as few startup and background programs as possible. The only things I actually allow are email, Evernote, Caffeine, and Battery Health. Sometimes the email app causes some problems when I shut down - try force quitting that before putting the computer to sleep.

I usually have Activity Monitor, Safari, Mail, iTunes and Caffeine running when I close the lid, wouldn't think these would be enough to really affect the wake performance.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011

I usually have Activity Monitor, Safari, Mail, iTunes and Caffeine running when I close the lid, wouldn't think these would be enough to really affect the wake performance.

I personally have noticed that the wakeup speed is generally shorter after I have started always closing Safari and Mail before closing the lid.

iTunes is also a quite heavy program, so if I were you I would also close it.

EDIT:

In the last week or so I've had much less delays with waking up from sleep. The only programs I have on when closing the lid are:

Caffeine
Dropbox
Little Snitch 3
Divvy

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Not a whole lot. If I put it to sleep when I go to bed and pick it back up when I get home from work, about 20hrs, it's lost probably around ~10%. It's definitely more than the default, but not enough for me to really care about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.