Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
He's right. Google isn't selling you to advertisers. They're selling advertisers ad space
...which advertisers pay for because of the completeness of their profiles based on their massive volume of personal information about their users. They are absolutely selling you to advertisers. They're just scrubbing PII first.
, which Google themselves serve up to you in their stead.
That is only one sales vector of many.

Renzatic

Suspended
...which advertisers pay for because of the completeness of their profiles based on their massive volume of personal information about their users. They are absolutely selling you to advertisers. They're just scrubbing PII first.

There's quite a large gulf between "we'll use our analytical data to sell your product for you", and "we'll sell you all the information we have on these people".

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
There's quite a large gulf between "we'll use our analytical data to sell your product for you", and "we'll sell you all the information we have on these people".
True, but irrelevant. Who said they were selling individualized data? That's a total straw man.

They are selling all the information they have on people. That's the whole point of them collecting all the information in the first place. It's just de-identified. You can get very detailed profiles from them as a customer. Their vast user base and tracking networks produce massively valuable market data all the time, all of which only works because of their access to all of your content and activity. Take that away, and they're a dump pipe offering very little but a large number of eyeballs on some of their high-traffic properties.

Last edited:

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Amazon managed it. Google managed over 300ppi with stunning displays on their Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.

Apple could have done it if they wanted to :mad:

And it would have been heavier and larger much like Amazon and Google's offerings are!

If I want heavy I'll take my iPad. When I want light and portable I want the iPad mini!

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
And it would have been heavier and larger much like Amazon and Google's...

If I want heavy I'll take my iPad. When I want light and portable I want the iPad mini!

I like my mini a lot. But adding retina to the full-size iPad didn't make it heavier or thicker. I'm looking forward to when there's a higher res screen on the mini, which will remain a thin and light device. I'm fine until then..

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Actually, it did.

You're right. I'd forgotten, and i got that wrong. I should've said that in my opinion the increases were so small that I personally wouldn't mind the addition of perhaps half a millimeter in thickness or a couple dozen grams in weight to an iPad mini in order to achieve a retina screen. But my facts were off.
Thanks.

Maybe we could agree that at those new dimensions it would still be an amazing device? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.