Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I still have +not+ opened mine ... but when I do, and get everything restored, I'll give Real Racing 2 a shot. It had some frame-rate issues (minor, but noticeable) but my 3rd gen definitely got very warm.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Just got mine too I love it. Waited with buying the 3 and glad I did - although iPad 5 owners will be saying that about the 4 in a years time I guess. Anyway I think once all the hype dies down about the iPad mini looking cool people will realise the iPad 4 was the best product released today

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Finally opened it. Holy smokes.

Lightening is neat, and I "get it", tiny too.

My display looks pretty perfect, maybe a touch to the warm side. Don't see any bleeding or anything.

The performance difference vs. my 3rd gen is very noticeable. Reinstalling my apps (data was backed up), interested in some GPU intensive apps. Maps, browsing, opening , my photo stream have this instance response that makes the device feel substantially quicker.

Happy with my $140 for 8 months rental on my 3 :D

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
So far I love it. There are a few magazine (newsstand) apps that seem to be incompatible with the iPad 4, but I'm sure they will update them soon. Other than that, it is great. Faster, more fluid, and the wifi really is faster too.

My main reason for getting it was because I was out of space on my 32gig iPad 3, I'd regretted not getting the 64gig version from the outset. So I figured I'd upgrade.

The one thing is when I plug it in to my PC's USB port (to sync or whatever) it says "not charging". Does it NEED 12W to charge? Not a big deal, i rarely plug it in to my computer.

Many USB ports don't provide voltage to spec. I know late model MBPs do, but even then, it's far slower charging vs. using the supplied 10/12w wall wart :)

The iPad (any) needs a minimum of 5W to charge - most late model MBs (actually, I believe all uni-body) have high power (1000ma, or 5W) USB ports. At that level, it will charge, albeit it'll take about twice as long.

I know at least the iPad 3rd gen will take 12W (have a iPod 3 and bought the new charger), and I seem to remember reading the iPad 2 being able to take the extra power too.

MikeCa

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
Call me crazy but this is my iPad 4 experience...

I have bought every iPhone 64GB from the first, upgraded every year and loved them all. I bought the first iPad and have held on to it through the iPad 2 and iPad 3. I gave iPad 4 a chance and pre ordered day 1.

I got the iPad 4 today and I am frankly let down. I also ordered the iPad smart case and was even more let down. The fit on the case is horrendous. I played with the iPad 4 for about three hours and I just can't justify keeping it. I have a perfectly good iPad 1 sitting here. I am returning the iPad 4 tomorrow (and that ridiculous smart case).

The iPad 1 case was amazing, I don't know what apple strayed from it. The iPad 4 IS faster and has the retina display, I get it. But those are not worth the $750. I don't understand people who say their apps start 1 second faster... A SECOND? I am optimistic that the iPhones will keep rocking but these iPads are just not worth the upgrades.

ppone

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Was able to scroll through a 500MB PDF , pretty easily as compared to the 3.

How is PDF rendering on the 4 in iBooks? On the 3 it is really noticable particularly if there are illustrations. You can watch the sectors improve in clarity which is unpleasant.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

I have bought every iPhone 64GB from the first, upgraded every year and loved them all. I bought the first iPad and have held on to it through the iPad 2 and iPad 3. I gave iPad 4 a chance and pre ordered day 1.

I got the iPad 4 today and I am frankly let down. I also ordered the iPad smart case and was even more let down. The fit on the case is horrendous. I played with the iPad 4 for about three hours and I just can't justify keeping it. I have a perfectly good iPad 1 sitting here. I am returning the iPad 4 tomorrow (and that ridiculous smart case).

The iPad 1 case was amazing, I don't know what apple strayed from it. The iPad 4 IS faster and has the retina display, I get it. But those are not worth the $750. I don't understand people who say their apps start 1 second faster... A SECOND? I am optimistic that the iPhones will keep rocking but these iPads are just not worth the upgrades.

I don't doubt that other people have different needs, but for me the move from my iPad 1 to the 4 is so far, astounding. My iPad 1 has been irritatingly slow for over a year now, and from the beginning, it has barely been able to do even the most basic multitasking. You can't start a reply in the browser and switch tabs without copying your text because chances are high you'll lose it. On the 4 I have 5+ tabs open, can switch between them, switch programs, and I don't have to reload. Things open so fast that it feels almost like using a regular computer. Back and forth in web pages is nearly instant vs. a long wait at each step for the 1. The 1 would stutter even on the keyboard or background music streams under light load.

I haven't even gotten in to the screen or the fact that its WAY thinner and feels a lot lighter than the 1. I've handled lots of 2's and 3's but never side by side with my 1 so this fact always somehow escaped me. I went to the store today almost committed to buying a Mini and sending the 4 back, but I'm glad I thought it through; this is a HUGE upgrade.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Got my 4 as well, love it, i upgraded my ipad 3, sold it and bought the 4. i think its a good investment considering this has the new connector etc..

lets just hope a new one isn't coming in 6 months *sarcasm* :D

are u guys going to put a screen protector on your iPad 4?

Ratpack1961

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
my ipad 4 is running hot on the lower left corner, just like the 3 did. Peformance is good though.

Last edited:

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Still see stuttering on the ipad 4 like I did on the 3. Must be iOS 6 issue. I'm hoping they fix this in 6.1 def a quicker ipad though. My screen does seem darker on the right hand side though :(

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Initially I was a little disturbed that the color/hue on the iPad 4 was different than on my iPad 3. But I've concluded after much comparison and holding them right next to each other that the iPad 4 has warmer, more vibrant colors. The ipad 3 has an overall blue hue to it when compared to the ipad 4.

I'm told Samsung made the iPad 3 screens and LG makes the ipad 4 screens. Not sure if that's accurate and I know from reading here that no two screens are exactly the same. I was initially a little upset because over the past 6 months i've gotten used to how the iPad 3 looks. After a few hours of using the iPad 4, however, I've concluded it's better. I'm already used to the difference at this point (it's very minor but when something like that changes, you notice it). I can only see the difference on bright white/gray screens. My home/icon pages (with my dark green background) both look exactly the same. I didn't even notice the difference until I opened up Settings on both to compare a few things. That's when I noticed the iPad 3 looked more blue than the ipad 4.

Anyway, it runs great, extremely fast, and so far very cool, the back hasn't even gotten warm. WiFi really does run faster, too (not a huge difference but noticeable).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Last night I watched a one and a half hour Top Gear Bond car special in HD on the newbie. Battery lihe when I started was 91% and 87% when I finished. I checked for heating issues and there are none. So summing it up:

1) The Ipad 4th generations basically what a rushed out 3 SHOULD have been

2) Claims and benchmarks on speed are broadly correct...It IS twice as fast.

3) Battery life would seem to fall into the 10 hour category claimed at the Keynote.

In short? A success. My regret? That I bought a three at all.

redspear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Ater using it for 24 hours i confirm that wifi IS much better with higher speed and signal.

Using iPad with appletv is a new experience without almost any lag. I even think that is faster with iPad4 rather than with Apple macbookair.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City

I updated from an iPad 1 to an iPad 3 20 days ago - the difference was simply astounding. Faster internet access, much faster browsing and app experience, can actually run iMovie and iPhoto without having to add it via the iPhone utility, Siri, etc .etc. etc. Oh yeah, retina display, much better video playback, etc. I use a presentation app called iPresent - the difference was like night and day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.