Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Lets see retina display= bigger battery+faster processor needed.

They wouldn't have been able to have the thinness and weight they wanted without increasing the price. Remember they were having production issues that stopped them from releasing earlier.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
True. The iPad 3 is slow. We knew it would be when it came out but it had the best processor available, so we made do. Like the iPad Mini, the iPad 4 is also underspec'd and overpriced compared to its Nexus counterpart. I am not sure why Apple is not bringing its A-game these days. We have more and better apps in iOS, but Android apps are actually pretty nice, and if you find the ones you need, you might want to switch.

As for the old specs in the Nexus 7, it gets a pass for being over $100 cheaper. And, this Mini screen tech comes to us courtesy of 2007 with a price tag that pretends it is "new" and not a "compromise" product.

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
USA
1) the screen is not as bad as you people are trying to make it out to be. I think it's perfectly fine.

2) a retina display would have required a better processor, which would have increased the price.

3) a retina display would have made the device thicker & heavier. I love the size.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
no worries OP. my thoughts are the same. In a retina display cost battle on another thread. I don't feel like justifying my opinion to all the apple fans on here bc they want to believe apple would NOT hold out on us...

btw, for everyone who thinks it would have increased price if we got the retina display on the mini...how about this...APPLE COULD HAVE JUST MADE LESS MONEY on us instead of keeping their already high profit margins. Trust me, no one would be losing their jobs if they made $50 less on each ipad. They make BILLIONS of dollars.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
A misleading point keeps being made here and elsewhere. It goes something like this: "the screen isn't bad; it's just not a Retina."

Let me clarify. The screen is terrible. It's not 163 pixels per inch. Or at least, it looks nowhere near that. I had a Kindle Fire for a while. That was 160 ppi (or thereabouts). This looks like 130 ppi. I don't know how or why, but it does. The single recurring thought when I stare at this thing is: why the heck does it look so much just like my old iPad 2?

I've been a mac user since 1992. On the strength of that trust and experience, I bought the mini today sight unseen. I walked in to a third party retailer and asked "When do you expect to have the mini?" I was surprised when they said: we actually just got a few in. I bought one without the benefit of seeing it.

In a sentence: it's the ipad 2 squeezed into a smaller body. The weight and size are great. The screen is horrible. Wait, let me clarify: ****ing horrible.

Steve is rolling in his grave. Apple's funeral has begun.

Hey drama Queen, how you doing?

Seriously. Some of you put your expectations so high you set yourself up for disappointment.

My wife and I love the size of our new iPad pennies and this is so much easier to carry and so much lighter we don't really give a damn about the screen.

That said the screen is fine it's not nearly as bad as many people want to make it out to be.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
This makes me think if Apple has a hitten agenda here. Bringing out the iPad Mini with a less then perfect LCD, and then next year coming out with mini2 to sell the same device basically twice. The LCD technology is there now, but they purposely have choose not to use it.

It would definitely add a nice marking plus into a device that otherwise can't have too many new hardware feature by definition as the technology is pretty mature now.

I think it's more that they chose not to wait until they were able to do it. I believe that for the moment they just can't pack a retina into that chassis. They will, eventually, but they couldn't afford to wait any longer and let Amazon, Google and Samsung eat the whole small tablets market.

So they chose to bring out a great tablet with a "normal" display. They chose size and weight over display. Which is, IMO, a better choice than the other one, because they're alone there. Would they have made a bigger (or smaller display) and heavier tablet, it would have been "just another meh tablet" and a bigger "WTF Apple" than it is.

Besides, they gave themselves a lot of room for improvement. Now, theyt gave the same room to their competitors. Which leads me to actually believe the retina Mini will come soon enough. One year, one and a half maybe ?

That's probably what the iPad Mini message to the competitors is: look what's going to fall upon you sooner or later. Now try to beat us to it ;-)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
A misleading point keeps being made here and elsewhere. It goes something like this: "the screen isn't bad; it's just not a Retina."

Let me clarify. The screen is terrible. It's not 163 pixels per inch. Or at least, it looks nowhere near that. I had a Kindle Fire for a while. That was 160 ppi (or thereabouts). This looks like 130 ppi. I don't know how or why, but it does. The single recurring thought when I stare at this thing is: why the heck does it look so much just like my old iPad 2?

I've been a mac user since 1992. On the strength of that trust and experience, I bought the mini today sight unseen. I walked in to a third party retailer and asked "When do you expect to have the mini?" I was surprised when they said: we actually just got a few in. I bought one without the benefit of seeing it.

In a sentence: it's the ipad 2 squeezed into a smaller body. The weight and size are great. The screen is horrible. Wait, let me clarify: ****ing horrible.

Steve is rolling in his grave. Apple's funeral has begun.

You are quite the drama queen.:rolleyes:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Were they trying to be cheap and maximize profits? Is it a sourcing and supply issue?
Probably a combination of both.

Looks like even with this screen (which has got to be less expensive than a retina screen), the iPad mini is already earning Apple much less profit than normal:

Apple: iPad mini profit margin is 'significantly below' corporate average

Also, have you seen any other 8" tablet with a screen that qualifies as retina? To your point, could it be possible that the screen suppliers are so busy pumping out 7" retina-like displays for the Nexus + Kindle + Nook that they might not be capable of ramping up a 8" retina screen (in enough quantity) just for Apple? Who the hell knows.

It amazes me that very few of the tech sites that got an advance iPad mini to review, and used the device for several days before writing their review, come to the same conclusion about the screen as many of the people who "swung by the Apple Store to check one out for a few minutes" do. :confused:

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
I love all the comments from the titans of industry in here. If you are so smart, I encourage you to develop and sell a competing product that does everything you want.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
no worries OP. my thoughts are the same. In a retina display cost battle on another thread. I don't feel like justifying my opinion to all the apple fans on here bc they want to believe apple would NOT hold out on us...

btw, for everyone who thinks it would have increased price if we got the retina display on the mini...how about this...APPLE COULD HAVE JUST MADE LESS MONEY on us instead of keeping their already high profit margins. Trust me, no one would be losing their jobs if they made $50 less on each ipad. They make BILLIONS of dollars.
If iPad mini flunk and people returning them... Apple will get the cue

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Jimmy Kimmel had a funny ad about Apple's variations on the iPod: a small one, a big one, a fat one, a green one, one that does talking, etc. and we are the suckers who buy them.

If you don't like the display, don't buy it and fund Apple's mediocrity.

abeyk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Houston, TX
I stopped by my local Apple store today to check out the iPad Mini in person. I'm very impressed with the design and build quality of the mini. I'm however totally disappointed with the screen!

Hold on fanboys, before you get your skirts in a bunch.

How much more would it have really cost Apple to put a retina display on the mini??? Were they trying to be cheap and maximize profits? Is it a sourcing and supply issue? Or was Apple doing what they typically do, start a product at the bottom so they have room for future upgrades to continue making money off of us???

Apple should have released the mini with a retina display. The crap display that's on it now really takes away from the product.

I bet you in a years time we'll see the new iPad Mini HD, with retina display. Of course, after they've sold millions with the crappy display. What would Jobs have done?? Very disappointing Apple!

No, it makes perfect sense. Think for a bit. If Apple released the 1st gen mini with a retina display at the current price, it would really hurt their iPad 4 sales. There would be no reason to pay $170 more for a device that is only a bit bigger and is also a lot heavier.

Sure the next model will probably have a retina display but by then there will also be a lighter maybe even cheaper iPad 5 to give people a reason to buy that one as well.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The screen on the mini isn't too bad. It is on par with the iPad 2, yet no one gets their shorts all up in a bunch about the iPad 2 screen.

Don't like the mini, don't buy it

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
I cant believe Apple added a Retina Screen to the iPad Mini 2, none of the apps look right on this screen!! Developers have a new resolution to program for!

I cant believe the iPad mini 2 is heavier and thicker than last years model!

I cant believe the battery life is less robust than last years model, couldn't they have come up with a liquid metal battery to power this new display!

(This is me prognosticating on next years bitch fest on how the mini 2 is terrible.)

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Unless apple can improve battery technology and shrink the a5x/6x, you won't see the mini getting retina with the same battery life and size. Simple as that.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Sorry, can't read any of the posts above, or what's getting typed now. Apple screwed me by selling me a mini. FUuuuu..

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
retina lover here:D not too dramatic, they just said ****ing terrible. I've read a lot more dramatic posts. your post made me laugh!

People who love their mini's so much, don't let 1 opinion annoy you if you love it so much ;)

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I'm using mine now and more than likely won't keep it due to the screen. I could probably put up with the lower resolution if the screen was stellar in every other aspect with colors that really popped but sadly that isn't the case. I'm used to far higher quality displays that are not retina level.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
If iPad mini flunk and people returning them... Apple will get the cue

??? I'm not saying apple's not going to make money on this. they will obviously make millions as they always do. We just got a few less bells and whistles for the same price.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I think it's more that they chose not to wait until they were able to do it.

You believe that Apple does not have the technology and resource to bring out a better resolution screen?

I rather believe it's more a case of "whatever we make people buy it anyway"

What I wonder now, what market share will Apple get with their inferior and more expensive product in the 7" pad market? I have doubts that they will dominate the 7" market.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I can't believe that you all think the screen is that bad. I like it. It seems great to me. I just sold my ipad 2 (the screen looked fine on that to me as well, btw) and this screens looks as good if not better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.