Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
No way West Virginia would beat LSU. That defense would shut their gimmick offense down completely

I agree that LSU would beat WVU. Not only because of LSU's defense but because of WVU's lack of one.

I also like Arky over Baylor and I think Ole Miss-TCU is a tossup without Pachall. TCU's defense isn't what it was the last few years, their offense turns the ball over a lot, and Ole Miss has really come on the last month or so.

Georgia-OU would be a great matchup. I think Jarvis would eat Landry's lunch in the battle of these Joneses.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I agree that LSU would beat WVU. Not only because of LSU's defense but because of WVU's lack of one.

I also like Arky over Baylor and I think Ole Miss-TCU is a tossup without Pachall. TCU's defense isn't what it was the last few years, their offense turns the ball over a lot, and Ole Miss has really come on the last month or so.

Georgia-OU would be a great matchup. I think Jarvis would eat Landry's lunch in the battle of these Joneses.

Looks at avatar.

Hmm, wonder why you think such things?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Your SEC bias is showing

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Looks at avatar.

Your SEC bias is showing

Not so. I've watched the Big 12 since its inception and have been to more than 100 Big 12 games over the years.

• I have a graduate degree from TCU, have a wife who worked there, live five minutes from campus and pay close attention to them. The Frogs are not the same team they've been, which is why they've been blown out a couple of times already this year. Their defense is inexperienced and, quite frankly, just not very good this year. They have a starting, freshamn QB who who was converted to RB two days before Pachall got kicked off the team.
  • Baylor has always sucked and, after a brief, RG3-inspired interlude, is right back to being horrible.
  • WVU's defense is horrible; everyone knows this.
  • Landry Jones has melted on the big stage time and again. Everyone knows this. Jarvis Jones is a stud along the same lines as Manti Te'o. He would give OU's offense a lot of problems, without question.
  • Ole Miss has a new coach, a new system and is playing with a lot of confidence. I'm not sure they would beat Okie State (nor did I say they would) but I do think Ole Miss would give the Pokes a run for their money because neither plays defense very well and both have explosive offenses.

If you object with these premises, that's fine, but perhaps you have a pro-Big 12 (or anti-SEC) bias you need to get in check.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Not so. I've watched the Big 12 since its inception and have been to more than 100 Big 12 games over the years.

• I have a graduate degree from TCU, have a wife who worked there, live five minutes from campus and pay close attention to them. The Frogs are not the same team they've been, which is why they've been blown out a couple of times already this year. Their defense is inexperienced and, quite frankly, just not very good this year. They have a starting, freshamn QB who who was converted to RB two days before Pachall got kicked off the team.
  • Baylor has always sucked and, after a brief, RG3-inspired interlude, is right back to being horrible.
  • WVU's defense is horrible; everyone knows this.
  • Landry Jones has melted on the big stage time and again. Everyone knows this. Jarvis Jones is a stud along the same lines as Manti Te'o. He would give OU's offense a lot of problems, without question.
  • Ole Miss has a new coach, a new system and is playing with a lot of confidence. I'm not sure they would beat Okie State (nor did I say they would) but I do think Ole Miss would give the Pokes a run for their money because neither plays defense very well and both have explosive offenses.

If you object with these premises, that's fine, but perhaps you have a pro-Big 12 (or anti-SEC) bias you need to get in check.

1) TCU's D might be down, but they're still better than Ole Miss - a scrub SEC team. A scrub B12 team, Texas, threw up 60+ on them.

2) Baylor is still racking up 50 points a game, while Arkansas let an equal (at best, Texas A&M) offense rack up 58. You're crazy.

3) LSU has nowhere near the offense to put up 47 again - maybe 17 if they're lucky. Plus WVU put up 21 on perhaps the #2 defense of last year and their D isn't as good this year. I'm sure LSU forces turnovers, but not enough to win.

4) Ask Texas how Landry Jones did. Then ask Georgia where they were against S. Carolina.

I still feel pretty fine with my picks and would put money on them. I'm a B1G fan, so I have little care for the Big 12 or SEC.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
1) TCU's D might be down, but they're still better than Ole Miss - a scrub SEC team. A scrub B12 team, Texas, threw up 60+ on them.

Maybe, maybe not. Ole Miss certainly got whipped by UTex (who is not good) but they've gotten better since then. Still, TCU might take them, but let's not forget that TCU got smoked by Iowa State and completely shut down by Okie State's crappy D.

2) Baylor is still racking up 50 points a game, while Arkansas let an equal (at best, Texas A&M) offense rack up 58. You're crazy.

Baylor has been held to 21 two of their last three games. A&M and Manziel are infinitely better. You're nuts if you can't see that. Last year's Baylor team—with RG3—was 27 points worse than A&M.

3) LSU has nowhere near the offense to put up 47 again - maybe 17 if they're lucky. Plus WVU put up 21 on perhaps the #2 defense of last year and their D isn't as good this year. I'm sure LSU forces turnovers, but not enough to win.

Never said LSU's offense was good. They're putrid. You know what's worse, though? WVU's defense. Probably the worst defense in the nation (or maybe second-worst ahead of Baylor). If Texas Tech and Kansas State can completely shut down WVU's offense, what makes you think LSU's can't?

4) Ask Texas how Landry Jones did. Then ask Georgia where they were against S. Carolina.

Texas is awful this year (and they're a "scrub team" according to you). They're 96th in total defense and 97th in scoring defense. What Landry Jones did to them doesn't really apply here.

Georgia isn't great but neither is OU. They've played three decent teams (ND-good, K-State-good, TTech-above average) and gone 1-2 in those games. Both losses were at home.

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
"The Tiebreaker".... Roll Tide Roll

I do live in the heart of SEC country but I just football.

1. Bama vs Lsu

2. Usc vs Oregon

3. WV vs TCU

4. Ole Miss vs Georgia (This could be a major upset depending on what Georgia team shows up.. Ole Miss has been playing some good football lately and with their hurry up offense may surprise them)

Attachments

• 6_543264.jpeg
    6_543264.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 63

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
My picks for this week...

#1 Alabama @ #5 LSU
#23 Oklahoma State @ #2 Kansas State
#4 Oregon @ #17 USC
Ole Miss @ #6 Georgia
#12 Oklahoma @ Iowa State
#16 Texas A&M @ #15 Mississippi State
#23 Texas @ #18 Texas Tech

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
My picks for this week...

#1 Alabama @ #5 LSU
#23 Oklahoma State @ #2 Kansas State
#4 Oregon @ #17 USC
Ole Miss @ #6 Georgia
#12 Oklahoma @ Iowa State
#16 Texas A&M @ #15 Mississippi State
#23 Texas @ #18 Texas Tech

Alabama big over LSU (like 17 point spread)

K State over Oklahoma State by a trillion points

Oregon big over USC (21+)

Georgia 14 points over Ole Miss

Oklahoma over Iowa State barely (3 points or less)

A&M over Mississipi State

Texas over Texas Tech

Last edited:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I said weeks ago the Ole Miss game would be a trap game for the Dawgs
And that would have been true win or lose against the Gators

However...
At home
Homecoming
Renewed defense
Healthy Jarvis Jones
Ole Miss D that gives up yards on the ground
SEC East on the line

I like the Dawgs in this one
But they rarely make it easy

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
My favorite weekend in sports. My alma mater vs. my lifelong favorite. Either way, I'm going home a winner. As much as i'd love to see an Ole Miss upset, I still want UGA to win. Too much on the line for Georgia.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I said weeks ago the Ole Miss game would be a trap game for the Dawgs
And that would have been true win or lose against the Gators

However...
At home
Homecoming
Renewed defense
Healthy Jarvis Jones
Ole Miss D that gives up yards on the ground
SEC East on the line

I like the Dawgs in this one
But they rarely make it easy

All I have to say is Go Dawgs! Both of 'em!

John McWilliams

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
Apt.
OU and UG

Looks at avatar.

You may be right about Landry Jones, Has had a real horrible game but that was due to K-States defense and areal bad game against Notre Dame, a team which has always had OU's number, but they could start Bell and that would be a whole new ball game. BOOMER SOONER

----------

I think it's a little salute celebration after a TD.

I'd have to agree with you except for UG and OLE MISS I'd pick Ole Miss and hope the folks in Oxford would have something to celebrate, but that would probably not happen. BOOMER SOONER

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Mississippi State is wearing new, "icy" white uniforms today to commemorate their "Snow Bowl" victory over A&M from 2000. In response, A&M is wearing...black. So in the battle of two maroon teams...no one is wearing maroon. Weird.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 66
  • LPBZWSLNWPSIYKS.20121103140501.JPG
    LPBZWSLNWPSIYKS.20121103140501.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 72

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Johnny Football
Passing: 30/36, 311 yards
Rushing: 29 carries, 129 yards, 2 TD (not including a TD run incorrectly ruled a fumble)

Ags roll 38-13 :D

FKPSCIPCRYQNLSZ.20121103174703.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.