Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002
I was #2 in line at the local Best Buy and bought a 64 gb Black mini this morning. While it is incredibly light and small, I started getting headaches because of the small, blurry text (I'm 52). I exchanged it earlier this evening for a 32gb new iPad 4. Very happy once again.

Now I need to cancel the order from the Apple Store for the mini Smart cover.

qawsed27

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
It's borderline criminal what's going on here. I'm sitting here with a mini and the screen is great. Do you really need to justify your own choices by lying? It's really just flat out dishonest. Enjoy your iPad 4, if you even have one. My guess is you haven't even left the house today.

HarryHoodlum

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Seriously, people act like there's this glaring problem...It's BARELY noticeable that it's not retina. All those pretty leather textures look the same as on my iPhone. Text looks slightly less crisp, but give me a break...

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
It's borderline criminal what's going on here. I'm sitting here with a mini and the screen is great. Do you really need to justify your own choices by lying? It's really just flat out dishonest. Enjoy your iPad 4, if you even have one. My guess is you haven't even left the house today.

I own a Mini, I'd considering swapping it for a 4 or refurb 3.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011

WHy the heck would you say that? I'm wear reading glasses and also prefer a larger device. I looked at the Mini at Sams Club and although it was very nice, I prefer a full size Ipad.

Someday you too will need glasses and you too will have headaches caused by eyestrain.

Happens to everyone eventually.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002

Uh, excuse me.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
What's wrong with choosing the product that best suits your needs? No hassle exchange and happy... I say congrats. :)

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002
What's wrong with choosing the product that best suits your needs? No hassle exchange and happy... I say congrats. :)

I agree, and when the Best Buy returns desk told me they had both the 32 and 64 in stock, I told her I would take the 32 but would have to verify it was the 4. Sure enough, the label doesn't say iPad 4, but the fine print mentions the Lightning connector. That's how I knew it was the iPad 4.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA

That's why we have a return policy.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
How is the below comment justified? I have a mini and am going to do the exact same thing the OP did. Mini is hard on my eyes too and I have perfect vision. I also think it is terrible to type on. Regular iPad is much better.

I'm an Apple fanboy and usually love every one of their products.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Seriously, people act like there's this glaring problem...It's BARELY noticeable that it's not retina. All those pretty leather textures look the same as on my iPhone. Text looks slightly less crisp, but give me a break...

Not barely. Its noticeable.

HarryHoodlum

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012

When you stick your nose right up to the glass, yeah.

For anyone who uses ANY computer other than a rMBP, I don't see you bitching about ppi like little children.

There's a really, REALLY nice display on the mini, people just get so brainwashed by apple's marketing that they convince themselves that a lack of a feature is a dealbreaker. Funny watching people melt down over this.

Apple did the right thing by not introducing a totally new display res. 3rd party developers are what makes the iEcosystem so incredible. Another new resolution would be a kick in the balls to those people.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Come on, can't you ever understand that everything's a matter of perception and personnal opinions and tastes ? Oh, and physical abilities, too.

It's not because you happen to like the display, and that your eyes happen to be able to adjust to the text that everybody who don't is a liar or worse. And they don't attack you personnaly either, so chill a bit.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
WHy the heck would you say that? I'm wear reading glasses and also prefer a larger device. I looked at the Mini at Sams Club and although it was very nice, I prefer a full size Ipad.

Someday you too will need glasses and you too will have headaches caused by eyestrain.

heh heh, I agreed with you.. If Ipad mini don't work for you, you should get Ipad 4 instead.... A lot of this are personal preference and not all people like the same thing.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i bought a refurb iPad 1, it was too thick so i exchanged it for an iPad 2. the iPad 2's screen was too pixilated so i exchanged it for an iPad 3. well, the iPad 3 didn't have the new lightning port so i exchanged that for a store credit and bought an iPad 4. well, the iPad 4 has a red tint and i prefer the yellow tint of the iPad 3, but the iPad 3 doesn't have the lightening port, so i exchanged it and bought an iPad Mini. well, the iPad Mini has the lightening port but it only has an A5 instead of an A6. so, i returned it for a refund and bought a Gameboy on craigslist for $10

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
What is wrong with what the OP said or did?

This post is a pathetic classic Macrumors "I feel like picking on you for the hell of it" give me a break

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

Yeah, happened to me too (reading glasses and all that crap), and I still prefer the mini - says to me that these threads are troll driven, and obviously not honest. YOU may prefer the full sized iPad, but it's nothing at all to do with not being able to read text or see objects on a device that has a resolution better than its (larger) predecessor.

I'm getting sick of these threads.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Its annoying when every person makes their own thread on the same topic. Nothing else can get discussed.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I was #2 in line at the local Best Buy and bought a 64 gb Black mini this morning. While it is incredibly light and small, I started getting headaches because of the small, blurry text (I'm 52). I exchanged it earlier this evening for a 32gb new iPad 4. Very happy once again.

Now I need to cancel the order from the Apple Store for the mini Smart cover.

Did you just change your sign! Last I saw you owned an ipad 2 64GB amirite? If you ever did how were you dealing with that screen at 51?

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010

wow. Are you a psychopath?

Bleak

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
What's hilarious is that when the iPad 3 came out, everyone said not to upgrade from the 2 because apparently retina wasn't a big deal like it was for the iPhone. Now all the sudden it actually matters `-`

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
There's nothing wrong with preferring a retina display for backlit screens. Sure, my MBP isn't retina, but I'm not reading a novel for 5+ hours a day on it. A lot of people are buying the mini to use iBooks on, and while the display isn't bad by any means, it can put strain on the eye for some people. It doesn't suit my personal needs. However, I have a few friends who absolutely LOVE their new mini and prefer it over my iPad 3. It's all down to the person and what they want out of their device.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Put it this way, the iPad mini display is a crime to charge for $329! Apple is ridiculous on this one. If your happy with display great! But don't hate on people that clearly see the display as a letdown. The OP is simply expressing his personal experience that might help others in similar situation. Heck I was ready to buy today and went to check it out. I was simply disappointed. I really need it in reading my textbooks while I finish my last year of computer science. After seeing the display, no way do I think it's worth $329.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
When you stick your nose right up to the glass, yeah.

For anyone who uses ANY computer other than a rMBP, I don't see you bitching about ppi like little children.

There's a really, REALLY nice display on the mini, people just get so brainwashed by apple's marketing that they convince themselves that a lack of a feature is a dealbreaker. Funny watching people melt down over this.

Apple did the right thing by not introducing a totally new display res. 3rd party developers are what makes the iEcosystem so incredible. Another new resolution would be a kick in the balls to those people.

I have a rmbp and iPad 3. Again, it's noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.