Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Tech Crunch review:
http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/02/nexus-4-review-not-exactly-perfect-but-close-enough-for-me/

More...

Tech Radar
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/google-nexus-4-1108999/review

UberGizmo
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/11/google-nexus-4-review/

Once again, a number of reviews are pointing toward the unfinished software build being the culprit of poor benchmarks, and a wide range of differences in battery life between all the reviews.

Google shipped these devices out a week ago (presumably last Friday) with the unfinished build. Should have waited, in my opinion. The layman doing quick research will not know any of this stuff when reading these reviews. This is not the way you go about trying to convince the average consumer unlocked is the way to go. And make no mistake, Google is trying to reach them.

Face palm, Google.

For the rest of us, we know Google will take care of the software with an update before or soon-after Nov 13th. And luckily, nearly everything else is being praised about the device ('cept the lack of LTE!).

Last edited:

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Two areas that are a little disappointing to me is the camera and speaker. I've been reading readers comments from all these reviews and some seem to think the software update could help correct them but hows that possible.

Are you talking about the Camera and Speaker or the other items?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I may hold off from ordering one on the first day til i see these fixes in place and a review from it.

Someone on another message board mentioned they'll be holding off on the device as well until final units are tested and reviewed. Said he didn't want to be the guinea pig for the initial batch of devices and that there's a 15% restocking fee if you purchase the Nexus and decide you no longer like it and return it. That's over $50 gone..

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I have no doubt Google will have a finished software build by shipping date. It may even be already done.

The reviewers got their devices late October-ish, before the canceled Google event.

But I don't blame anyone for waiting. Google fumbled. It isn't the first time they've botched a Nexus launch. It's become a tradition.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Well im not really into benchmarks so im not swayed one way or the other. Some of the comments also said that was a Apple biased site so who knows. I never go there so i dont know.

Anyways, it was said today that the new JB 4.2 is going to have a Malware scanner built in to auto scan Apps before it downloads. Here is the article from the Verge.

Anandtech? Biased? You jest.

Sites don't get more neutral.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Just sold my iPhone 5 , not debating hard between the nexus 4 and Note 1 or 2......... I do care for LTE , HSPA+ will do just fine, I'm just afraid that the nexus will be outdated soon/lack of SD Card

note 1/2 both look great, Huge screen not a fan of that but SD Card slot is a +
But price = Nexus hmmmmm

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I may hold off from ordering one on the first day til i see these fixes in place and a review from it.

Someone on another message board mentioned they'll be holding off on the device as well until final units are tested and reviewed. Said he didn't want to be the guinea pig for the initial batch of devices and that there's a 15% restocking fee if you purchase the Nexus and decide you no longer like it and return it. That's over $50 gone..

I'm pretty certain Google will have the final build ready by shipment, if not already.

Remember, the review units did not come with widgets in the lock screen feature nor multiple user login feature (Nexus 10) in their builds. Google can't ship a build without those features, and that build should address the issues in these reviews.

Still, a very stupid move by Google just to get early reviews out and I don't blame anyone who wants to wait.

BainthaBrakk

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
Anandtech? Biased? You jest.

Sites don't get more neutral.

Cant agree with you. I find Anandtech to be slightly biased towards Apple. I think it is because their daily drivers (in most cases) seem to be Appleproducts. OTOH there are no unbiased reviewers to be found anywhere.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Whatever happened to the white Nexus 4?

whiten4.jpg

Just to get an idea, here's the LG Optimus G in white:

LG-Optimus-G-white-06.jpg

yOM7s.png

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Was that leaked from the Carphone Warehouse? I think we've established that they aren't the most reliable since their price was higher and they won't be able to sell it for the first month since 02 will get exclusivity.

Ah, is that so? That's a shame.

Would love to see a 32GB and a white version available down the line...

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I can't remember if that picture is from them or not. I'm just saying leaks from them don't seem very credible. Of course there's the possibility they plan on releasing a white one in the future?

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
What do you all think about the camera now that some reviews have been released?

I would love a white nexus too! white back + black front.

I really doubt they'll release a 32gb version, I think that is where LG is actually sperating them from their own phone.

----------

So this thing supports AC wifi at 1Gb/s???

Yip, apparently. Head on to the link I posted if you want an updated spec list. There is more info to be found there.

I'm hoping the camera 'burt shot' mode is just software. Reviews have been saying that it doesn't even take snappy / rapid shots like the galaxy nexus did :(

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I would love a white nexus too! white back + black front.

I really doubt they'll release a 32gb version, I think that is where LG is actually sperating them from their own phone.

They didnt release a 32GB GNex but since they did release a 32GB N7 it makes you wonder if they will and that also makes me want to wait(that and the slow speeds they are demo'ing...yes i know it isnt a finished OS) and not get one on day of release though if they do have one it will be months down the road.

I am going to get a N4 regardless if they do release or not. Just may wait to see what they do down the road.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
So this thing supports AC wifi at 1Gb/s???

Yip, apparently. Head on to the link I posted if you want an updated spec list. There is more info to be found there.

I'm hoping the camera 'burt shot' mode is just software. Reviews have been saying that it doesn't even take snappy / rapid shots like the galaxy nexus did :(

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
The reviewers got their devices late October-ish, before the canceled Google event.

Not a chance they got them BEFORE the event that launched them. Think most got them middle of the week, so 3-4 days ago.

I'm pretty certain Google will have the final build ready by shipment, if not already.

Remember, the review units did not come with widgets in the lock screen feature nor multiple user login feature (Nexus 10) in their builds. Google can't ship a build without those features, and that build should address the issues in these reviews.

I'm not sure the final version will have multi user login. I thought that was tablet only. Think it's pretty useless on a phone anyway.

I'm not happy with the reviews but I'll order it anyway and send it back if I don't like it. Google don't charge a restocking fee in the UK luckily.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
They didnt release a 32GB GNex but since they did release a 32GB N7 it makes you wonder if they will and that also makes me want to wait(that and the slow speeds they are demo'ing...yes i know it isnt a finished OS) and not get one on day of release though if they do have one it will be months down the road.

I am going to get a N4 regardless if they do release or not. Just may wait to see what they do down the road.

But 1 month is not down the road really...you'll have to wait at least till February just for some rumors on if there will be a 32gb version and another acouple of months till you actually get it. By then there will be a new gen of mobile phones being released and even the next nexus (5?) will be just 4-5 months away again.

Sadly that is how I see it. I too would wait for a 32gb but I've decided to try it out and if it doesn't work for me now then i'll just avoid these sort of deals with such compromises.

I am going to wait to see the mass productions units though. Maybe there will be some sort of screen lift issue here too...

----------

Not a chance they got them BEFORE the event that launched them. Think most got them middle of the week, so 3-4 days ago

Check the date in this screen shot.

I find it funny that there is an update pending too!

screenshot2012-10-29-19-17-58-1351835608.jpg

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Not a chance they got them BEFORE the event that launched them. Think most got them middle of the week, so 3-4 days ago.

I'm not sure the final version will have multi user login. I thought that was tablet only. Think it's pretty useless on a phone anyway.

I'm not happy with the reviews but I'll order it anyway and send it back if I don't like it. Google don't charge a restocking fee in the UK luckily.

If I'm not mistaken, multiple reviews have said their time spent with the phone was a week. Either way, late October.

Right, multiple user log in is for tablets only. I wrote "(Nexus 10)".

Make no mistake, people, the reviews are actually great. We're letting the unfinished software build get to many of our heads. Google fumbled by releasing unfinished software to reviewers to write reviews that will be read by millions of people (face palm, Google), but the reviews are actually very good. The final software should not have these problems.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
But 1 month is not down the road really...you'll have to wait at least till February just for some rumors on if there will be a 32gb version and another acouple of months till you actually get it. By then there will be a new gen of mobile phones being released and even the next nexus (5?) will be just 4-5 months away again.

Sadly that is how I see it. I too would wait for a 32gb but I've decided to try it out and if it doesn't work for me now then i'll just avoid these sort of deals with such compromises.

I am going to wait to see the mass productions units though. Maybe there will be some sort of screen lift issue here too...

----------

Check the date in this screen shot.

I find it funny that there is an update pending too!

No, the Nexus phone is a yearly thing. It wont be coming out again soon. Id buy a 16 GB and will though 32Gb is more ideal. Just think there is a chance there might be a 32GB version later...like a few months down the road if there is going to be one at all.

Going forward i hope they include a microSD slot in these phones and i am going to try and email them somehow and tell them they need to include it and their reasons for not including it in this one are weak.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
No, the Nexus phone is a yearly thing. It wont be coming out again soon. Id buy a 16 GB and will though 32Gb is more ideal. Just think there is a chance there might be a 32GB version later...like a few months down the road if there is going to be one at all.

Going forward i hope they include a microSD slot in these phones and i am going to try and email them somehow and tell them they need to include it and their reasons for not including it in this one are weak.

I will be happy if they support USB OTG or even if its hackable. A uSD slot would have been the icing on the cake for this one, however, but then nobody would have bought the 16GB model.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I definitely understand everyone's need for a micro SD slot but I'm wondering if you all have tried the cloud alternatives. DropBox is really nice and integrated in Astro File Manager. I went from a 32gb iphone to the 16gb galaxy nexus. I used most storage for movies and music. Now all my music is from the Cloud with Google Music and movies are transcoded/streamed to my phone. I even went out and bought a Nexus 7 8gb and have no troubles.

I would have jumped on the Nexus 4 8gb if it included the charging dock

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.