Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Mini before, mini now. Peripherals have longer useful lives. I hope to get at least 5 to 10 good years of service out of my Thunderbolt monitors, magic trackpad and Moshi keyboard, but I'll probably find a reason to upgrade my Mini in a couple of years.

SkiHound

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Was waiting for new iMacs to be released and planned to replace an 08 24" version. Looked at new mini and decided it offered much better value. Ordered the 2.6 w fusion drive. Have 16 GB of memory coming from crucial

antithema

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
Well another one here...sold my 2006 imac in order to buy the new to come imac. Finally I was disappointed with the strict upgrade of the basic model so received today the quad Mac mini. Upgrading in a few days ram to 16 gb and maybe after a year the HDD with an SSD.

Yanwoo

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
Yep, I'm about to jump ship to a mini from an imac.

Had my trusty 2009 27" iMac for nearly 3 years and it's beginning to feel it's age...but the screen is as good as new (well, it is new since I just got it replaced under applecare :) so I'm planning to use my iMac as a monitor for a shiny new all bells and whistles 2.6GHz i7 mac mini with SSD.

I like the idea of still using the iMac for background tasks (e.g. using air parrot to send VLC movies and shows to my apple TV) whilst using it's screen with the mini for my more normal computing usage.

ibirmingham

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
My biggest decision now is which monitor I want. I'm tossed between Apple's Thunderbolt display, the Dell 30" U3011 or 27" U2711. I like the idea of the Dells since I can use it on other computers without the thunderbolt connector.

I'm probably going to pick up the mini this weekend and decide on the monitor over the next couple of weeks.

----------

Can you tell me which Dell monitor you went with?

Go for the Dell U2713HM or if you have an extra couple of hundred then go for the exceptional Samsung S27B970

Last edited:

RG129

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
I went from 2 generations of iMac (17" G4 and 2007 Aluminum C2D) and ordered myself a mid-range Mini.

I'm not a power user and didn't want to pay for a nice 27" iMac, and I hate the fact that nothing is user-accessible on the 21.5".

I ordered my Mini and got a 23" IPS, 16GB of RAM, 256 SSD to go with it and am still under the price of a base 21.5". :D

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Are there many new Mini owners out there who like me were put off buying a new iMac and decided to "Go Mini" instead?

Before the last keynote i was holding on for a refreshed iMac to replace my aging model, but was put off by the lack of accessible RAM in the 21.5 and slow hard drive in the base model. For me personally it just didn't represent good value for money anymore.

I always wanted a Mini (they just look so cool!) but always ended up with iMacs. After the last Keynote though i decided to take the plunge and finally buy one. Admittedly, at first i felt i might be "trading down" but after a few days of working with it i couldn't be happier. :D

Count me in. Got rid of 2 iMacs and purchased 2 Mini's. Couldn't be happier.

DitteVilladsen

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012

I bought the Dell U2713HM, recently reviewed on Anand Tech here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6308/dell-u2713hm-unbeatable-performance-out-of-the-box

It's still in the box right behind me now, so I can't give any personal comments on it yet. I'm leaving it in the box until my Mac mini is delivered. Then I'll have to do a big spaghetti cable clean up and rewiring in preparation for setting up the new system. I think there may be an active rat's nest in the cable mess under my desk! I'm surprised it hasn't caught fire.

oYx

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
London
I have rather extreme scenarios. I get 99% of my online activities done on my iPhone 5, but I still need a powerhouse for my occasional freelance projects. Was holding out for the iMac for 6 months now, but thinking very much to go with the mini instead.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Are there many new Mini owners out there who like me were put off buying a new iMac and decided to "Go Mini" instead?

Yep. :)

I've had a low end 2007-era Mac mini for several years, and it's been getting more frustrating as time goes on. Graphics operations don't gracefully degrade but just do weird things instead (lazy programming by Apple), memory is tight at the max of 3 GB, and things get slower all the time (even with an SSD).

I was determined to get the absolute top of the line iMac as soon as it was released. I wanted to max out CPU, memory, and graphics for future-proofing. The upgrade to a nice 27" screen would be a nice bonus. ;)

But then Apple made the 2012 iMac anorexic at the expense of features (ones that I still use). Understandable in a portable, but ridiculous in a desktop. Combine this with the likelihood that the new iMac would be even harder to get into for upgrades or repairs, and I made my decision a day or so after the keynote.

I'm typing this on my 2012 Mac mini with 2.6 GHz i7, self-upgraded 16 GB memory and self-installed 256 GB SSD (try that with the new iMac). :D I'm still transferring data over and getting this setup the way I want, but so far, so good.

I'm not worried about the slightly slower CPU or significantly worse graphics than the iMac. I don't do games or anything else that would tax the HD 4000, and it's good enough that I expect it to be more future-proof than the GMA-950 in my old mini. Overall, it's a huge step up from what I had a few days ago.

The only thing I miss from the iMac is not being able to have 32 GB memory. Not an issue now, but ask me again in 5 years. :rolleyes: Oh, and that screen still would have been nice. But so is the extra money in my bank account. :cool:

tufinhas

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I think the iMacs are getting more and more crippled, CD slot aside: for instance, the Mac mini has an Audio In and an Audio Out. The iMacs have only an Audio Out (which they renamed "Headphones" so as not to emphasize the lack of in/out symmetry). I wish they'd make the iMac _thicker_ and the mini _taller_ and just put all the stuff in them that is needed, without compromises.

I'm starting to feel that us desktop guys are going to see slimmer and slimmer pickings from Apple, and I don't like the dumbing down of OS X either. I don't like all the iTunes updates for features I don't want, I don't like iCloud, and so on. Now that I have a more componentized system with the mini, I plan to buy a KVM switch and a small PC box and load Linux on it and reacquaint myself with it, looking to become a possible future "switcher" if I can get my work done in one of the Linux distros.

this is pretty much why I am moving from a 2009 iMac to a i7 2,3 + 8GB mid range Mac Mini with an independent display. I waited and waited and waited some more for the new iMac but unless one shells out big money for a top of the line build to order 27", you're not getting a better deal then the 2011 version.

dont throw me to the lions, but I am also getting a desktop pc next year and dwell with some Windows 8 environment. best of both worlds, i hope, and all for the price of ONE 21,5" new iMac.

T.

Last edited:

asimmd

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
UK
I never had a Mac of any sort and I was waiting for the updates of the iMac before buying.

Now I have compared the iMac and the Mini,I am going for the Mini,it's as if Apple were steering people away from the iMac and towards the middle Mac Mini which I think is great value and will do everything I need.

Alan

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I think I'm going to get a new mid-tier Mini next month (then upgrade with 16GB RAM and SSD myself) and transfer everything off my early 2009 iMac. I hate to lose that 24" screen. I use dual monitors now, so I'll be down to a single until I pick up another 24" in the near future.

I'm assuming the new i7 will run rings around my old C2D.

bluewooster

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
I never owned an iMac but had my hand on the mouse ready to click "buy" since May! Seriously, if they even just released the 2011 model with USB3, I would be there in a flash. But, I think the combination of still having to wait further, concerns over the design of the 2012 iMac, and the fact that the 2012 Mac mini is just so great pushed me to the Mini.

Apple got my money either way!

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Me no like 16:9 iMac screen... 16:10 was better, although with the chin that nearly turned it into a square, which is un-hip man.

Ergo, the mini + Dell U3011. (Actually the U3013 is coming in March, which will be 2 years better.)

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I owned an iMac. The screen pissed me off (dead pixel in the mid left, migraine-inducing brightness, image persistence, pain to work on). When I went for a new Mac, I got the mini. My only complaint with the mini is the cooling fan is much louder than on the old iMac. Otherwise, I am much happier.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Never had an overpriced glossy iMac, but I've used mac minis for years, all hooked to HDTVs. Most people never heard of the Mini, but they do now.
I left the desk top years ago. For my uses; internet, media, slideshows, photos, music, and video editing are great from the sofa.
Don't need no stinkin' tiny screen.

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
Hmmmm......

27” 3.2 i5 iMac......1999
8G Memory.................0
GTX 675MX...............0
1TB Fusion..............250?
TrackPad.....................0
WKeyboard.................0
Total......................2249

2.3 i7 Mac Mini.......799
27” TB Display........999
8G Memory.............100
HD 4000.....................0
1TB Fusion..............250
TrackPad...................69
WKeyboard...............69
Total.....................2286

triweaver2

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
I would be happy to hear how folks feel about their new displays vs their old iMacs. Well those who did not get the Apple display. If Apple had something smaller and lighter other than the iMac 21.5, I would switch in a heart beat. I need something under 15 pounds, IPS, and 21-24"s that would equal or exceed the iMac, without breaking the bank too. Right now the only one I've found is the Dell 24", so those new to Dell, please let me know what you think.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Hmmmm......

The Mini is faster it is rougly 11000 on GB compared to 8500 on the iMac.

But get something like this, and be even more happy:

NEC PA271W........1099 (best screen ever made)
16G Memory next door.100
256Gb Samsung 830..200
SSD mounting set....40
PC-keyboard+Logitech mouse 30
Total.....................2270
Or slightly above TB display quality
Dell U2711 599

Total.....................1770

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
I'm seriously considering it. I have an early 2009 iMac that's beginning to have problems. I originally held out for the new iMac to be announced, but after seeing the release, I started giving the mini serious consideration.

Here's what I use my Mac for:

• Web surfing, email, etc
  • Watching TV shows/Movies
  • Rip DVDs (strictly for archival purposes)
  • Transfer/Convert Tivo recordings
  • VPN into Work using Remote Desktop
  • Virtualbox for running one or two VMs

I do need two monitors, but based on the above, I'm not sure I'm going to see any benefit to a discrete graphics card as I don't plan on gaming. I'm probably going with the mid-level mini simply for the upgrade in the CPU to the quad i7. I happened to transfer and 24 Tivo recordings and used Toast to convert to MP4. This took about 14 hours on my existing machine. I'm going to assume it will be a lot fast on the i7.

My biggest decision now is which monitor I want. I'm tossed between Apple's Thunderbolt display, the Dell 30" U3011 or 27" U2711. I like the idea of the Dells since I can use it on other computers without the thunderbolt connector.

I'm probably going to pick up the mini this weekend and decide on the monitor over the next couple of weeks.

----------

I took the plunge last night and picked up the mid-level Mini with the Thunderbolt display. My sister gets a nice EPP discount from Apple, so I also went with AppleCare. I had planned to buy that later, but with buying both the display and mini at the same time, I didn't need a separate AppleCare for the monitor. I'm going to place an order for 16GB of ram this weekend.

So far, so good.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Hmmmm......

Don't quote Apple prices for the Mini's RAM, it's cheaper on the aftermarket. Also, not that many people really need a $1,000 TB display

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
The Mini is faster it is rougly 11000 on GB compared to 8500 on the iMac.

But get something like this, and be even more happy:

NEC PA271W........1099 (best screen ever made)
16G Memory next door.100
256Gb Samsung 830..200
SSD mounting set....40
PC-keyboard+Logitech mouse 30
Total.....................2270
Or slightly above TB display quality
Dell U2711 599

Total.....................1770

Good ideas, that is what I like about the Mac Mini, the ability to tweak it and customize your setup beyond Apple standards...

My main concern at this point is the HD 4000 graphics; sure it is fine at this point of time, but how about down the road. Didn't Apple disable support for Airplay in Mountain Lion for older computers due to not having dedicated graphics (e.g. just too much for the main CPU to handle)?

Edit: Interesting, why is the Samsung 830 512G ($699.99), 500 dollars more than the 256G ($199.99). http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-Series-MZ-7PC256N-Internal/dp/B005T3GPXY

Edit: Also, does the Mac Mini have two drive bays in order to install a SSD + keep the HD?
----------

Also, not that many people really need a $1,000 TB display

Reason I'm leaning for the TB display is the built-in webcam, speakers, and hub functionality; packaged with a capable display. Plus, one reason thinking about moving towards a Mini is the fact that the display can live beyond the CPU guts; so I do want a nice display that will last 5-10 years.

I'll have to check some other monitors out and see how they compare. On the esthetics side, the aluminum finish is nice too :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.