Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Seriously folks this **** is not smart. The texting, the phoning, the iPadding, its all got to stop when you get behind the wheel.

I think you're not taking into account that this could be used responsibly.

Currently I use my iphone to stream music to my head unit and have tomtom running on the phone screen. The iPad mini would be pretty much perfect for that.

What would be interesting is if someone made some kind of double DIN adapter for the iPad so you could retro fit it easily as a DIY thing...if someone sold one of those then I'd seriously consider an iPad mini for in car where currently I'm not thinking of getting one at all.

Also as a side note how many people on here are asking if its removable or making comments on theft??? the first 10 seconds or so of the video show its removable!

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
Wifi triangulation. Less accurate and proven to hiccup when there's no wifi around to ping off of.

#FAIL!

SMH.....

You do realize that with the cellular version you DO in fact get GPS? It is assisted GPS where it will try to first get locaiton data from Cellular towers as it updates its GPS location.

It has nothing to do with Wifi....

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Owner: "Siri, how awesome is my car?"

Siri: "it's a Corolla, what do you think?"

Owner: "i hate your face"

(I drive a Corolla too)

LOL
That is so funny! :D :cool:

Edit:
Forgot to say, that looks so cool. iPad Mini in-dash style. Too cool for school man! :D
Well done!
Now that I've seen that I think I might have to get one for my car. It can replace my street directory. I can just leave it in my glove box and remotely add movies and music to it too. Sweeet.
Wasnt going to get the Mini but think I will now. heh hehhh. :D

Last edited:

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Can you imagine the data usage running Pandora or iHeartRadio plus Maps on your daily commute? Guess the only way is if you are on Sprint with an unlimited Data plan.. otherwise you're going to fly through the GBs.

Maps really doesn't use too much data. It's not nearly as much data as one might expect. I've been really pleasantly surprised.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
#FAIL!

SMH.....

You do realize that with the cellular version you DO in fact get GPS? It is assisted GPS where it will try to first get locaiton data from Cellular towers as it updates its GPS location.

It has nothing to do with Wifi....

If you had above a 5th grade reading comprehension you could see I was responding to someone who was asking how did their "GPS" work in their WIFI only iPad.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I never considered buying an iPad mini.
This changes that.
For those concerned with theft: easy solution leave a picture of an old in attractive stereo as a wallpaper disguise.
Remember you have find my iStuff.
It totally makes sense to have direct audio from the iPad. There could be tons of aftermarket products to make this a very lucrative and successful business.
An iPad mini pioneer kit, would include the receiver amp, etc....
Car OEMs are struggling to incorporate this kind of features with their own systems and they are not there yet, they are getting closer and some have great integration with iOS, but still not fully exploiting it.
I would definitely consider getting a basic entertainment system or none at all an then doing aftermarket custom installation of an iPad mini with LTE GPS.

With or without an iPad moron drivers will always exist and there is nothing that you can do about them.

Voice over features would finally be improved with more car - smart tablets integration like this.

Why Apple has not invested more in the voice recognition area?

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Lol... I hope you're joking.

Just to name a few reasons: GPS, Contacts, Find your Friends, Movies... upon a million more. But if you just need one: the best infotainment system available - PLUS it syncs with all your other devices you already have.

It's not about being antisocial, its simply the best infotainment system you could buy.

Movies? There is a huge widescreen HD movie playing in the windshield. Whoever's in the driver's seat should probably be watching that. :rolleyes:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Whoah whoah whoah. Lets not get carried away. He clearly states in the video that they are using an Audison sound system in that vehicle, with two amplifiers. A quick look on Amazon shows me the -cheapest- Audison amp is ~$250, going all the way up to > $1000. That's JUST the amps as well. Add in additional hardware, an iPad, and not even counting installation (if you could do it yourself lets say), and you are probably over 2 grand for what's in that car.

I'm not saying its not cool, but there is NO WAY you would beat the quality of a "$1000 stereo" with an iPad for less money. The iPad is just putting out a stereo line level signal, the rest is all being done by the expensive audio hardware...

I'm not an audiophile, but I wouldn't be surprised if one could tell the difference in audio quality compared to a device more specifically geared towards putting out high fidelity sound than an iPad, which is intended for use with -at best- some dock speakers.

Personally, I wouldn't want a setup like this, because in order to use your car's stereo you would have to have the iPad in place, and as mentioned by others if you don't remove it when you leave the car it begs to be stolen. The end result is you now have to always carry the thing with you (or sometimes not use your stereo). Maybe that works for some people (cool!), but would not for me. I personally would find it a burden to have to keep track of one more device at all times.

All just my $0.02 of course.

Just to clear up a couple of untruths here. A standard head unit couldn't output this sound either, it is just a head unit, you still needs amps and speakers so its no more expensive than this. You're just replacing the head unit with an iPad instead.

Secondly if you listened he said they were taking the signal from the iPad digital, e.g. through the dock connector, which means nothing would sound any better, its all being decoded by the amp - the iPad is providing nothing but 1's and 0's to it so any car head unit wouldn't sound better - at best, the same if they also had a digital out. If they were using the headphone port on the iPad it would be a different mater, but they're not.

As for the security manner, you could say walking around with an iPhone 5 or an iPad mini in your hand is "begging for it to be stolen" so best not go anywhere with them. You could just slip it out and into the glovebox, or have an Audi TT style fold down cover just like a normal car setup - but I probably wouldn't bother…they'll look in and see a screen, thats all. Infact if I did the build id hide the home button and use multi-task gestures instead anyway build the surround to show a screen just like any other modern car has on display.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Without retina and LTE the ipad mini is dated on day 1! But count me in when those are added.

Edit: I'm an idiot, the ipad mini does have LTE. I'm in after retina, I guess.

Well, if the lack of retina is a deal breaker for you, why not go with the new generation IPAD and install a do it yourself IPAD car mount: here and here. It appears to be an easy install. This install allows you to remove the IPAD when you leave your vehicle.

Last edited:

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Movies? There is a huge widescreen HD movie playing in the windshield. Whoever's in the driver's seat should probably be watching that. :rolleyes:

People actually park their cars too. Funny thing.

One scenario: grab some McDonalds, sit in car and catch up on some South Park.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
I have a few thoughts. First, it looks really cool and I want one! Second, it probably would distract me from driving, but I almost don't care. Third, why don't the car manufacturers make dashboards like this which ALLOW for iOS devices to be slid or popped in and removed? It would cost them next to nothing and there are TONS of iOS owners out there. If a company (like Honda, for example) had some sort of partnership with Apple, don't you think a lot of US (Apple enthusiasts) would start buying Hondas (or whatever) preferentially, just for that reason? That's why I use AT&T for my cellular service! The iPhone originally only worked with AT&T, therefore, that became my cellular service. And now, with me resigning 2 year contracts with every new phone, I'm not going anywhere!!

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
I have a Toyota Camry with a similar opening for the sound system. I use my iPhone 4S for all of my audio and GPS stuff. This would be a neat future venture for car manufacturers, especially if the car could send all sorts of diagnostic information to the tablet.

Diags from car to tablet is already possible using this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OB...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4608337faf

Then using an app called Torque to display the info. Only a matter of time before an app like this is out on iOS, or maybe one is already out?

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
Let me get this straight.

These guys hired a market analyst to identify the automotive preferences of Apple customers and the analyst came up with Toyota?? :eek: Seriously???

Not Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Alfa Romeo... but Toyota????

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
This stuff is neat, but anyone that I've ever known to do stuff like this says the novelty wears off after a short time. It's not like people can use an iPad while they are driving...or can they? :eek:

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Thats where these 7" tablets shine, who needs an expensive $1000 stereo when you can get the same functionality out of a $200-600 device that you can take with you.

Umm...you don't get the same functionality from an iPad than you would from a 1000 dollar stereo. Data costs would kill it. Not to mention the horrible Apple Maps, which happens to be made by Tom Tom. Anyone who's used Tom Tom GPS is not surprised with how horrible it is.

To some this might look "cool" but seems like a terrible idea

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
This stuff is neat, but anyone that I've ever known to do stuff like this says the novelty wears off after a short time. It's not like people can use an iPad while they are driving...or can they? :eek:
It's like using your entertainment system in a Chrysler Town & Country, touchscreen to get to the HDD and play mp3, get a dvd running for the kids, browse radio stations, etc
Having Siri improved and voice controls will make this even more easy to adopt.
Why not?
No one ever watched pimp my ride or overhauling ?

----------

Umm...you don't get the same functionality from an iPad than you would from a 1000 dollar stereo. Data costs would kill it. Not to mention the horrible Apple Maps, which happens to be made by Tom Tom. Anyone who's used Tom Tom GPS is not surprised with how horrible it is.

To some this might look "cool" but seems like a terrible idea

TomTom works fine in Europe, I have had no issues in the US even with an old map.

Now Apple's app is something else.

Anyway you can always buy another navigation app.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Thats where these 7" tablets shine, who needs an expensive $1000 stereo when you can get the same functionality out of a $200-600 device that you can take with you.

I'm very curious as to what the price of the custom work was. It has to be at least $500, probably a lot more. (Unless they already had the Toyota Camry dash kit made for sale, maybe just resizing it for the Mini)

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
It's like using your entertainment system in a Chrysler Town & Country, touchscreen to get to the HDD and play mp3, get a dvd running for the kids, browse radio stations, etc
Having Siri improved and voice controls will make this even more easy to adopt.
Why not?
No one ever watched pimp my ride or overhauling ?

Like I said, that stuff is neat, but I would have to say that an iPad is a bit much for something to control your music and movies. My car has controls on the steering wheel for the built in system, which is the most convenient. The iPhone has voice control or Siri as well, plus it is a hands free phone. An iPhone just seems more practical to have in the driving console.

Installing an iPad in the rear seating to play movies for those with children would be practical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.