Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Desorbed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Hi all. Hoping there have been iPhone users similar to me, and who can give me some advice to get over something so stupid.

Some things to know:

- I bought a new iPhone 5, white, 64GB one week ago.
- Since then, I have been obsessing over keeping it mint condition. Every time I use it, I wipe it down, check for scratches etc.
- In the first week I have also noticed 3 very small chips/dents on the back of my iPhone - no bloody clue how they got there, especially since I am so careful. This has thoroughly pissed me off, it's doing my head in.
- I now have a good quality, "Belkin Grip Candy Sheer - Black and Green" case.

I have never been so obsessed with the maintenance of a device like I have with this phone, it's absolutely RIDICULOUS. It's gotten to a point where I look at my iPhone, and don't want to use it, because I don't want to wreck it anymore (as said before, I've already somehow chipped the back 3 times). I literally GET A HEADACHE every time I stare at it now, because all these 'OCD' thoughts arise, eg "OMG, what if dust/sand has gotten into the case" or "Does my iPhone look a bit dented?" or "Is the white getting dirty!?". I don't even feel like going near it now, it's gotten THAT bad.

I want to keep it as clean as possible because I like having my products in a very good condition, plus it would be nice if I could sell it in a years time when the next iPhone comes out.

I feel like a complete idiot, which I am, but I was wondering how I could get over this. Any tips/advice?

Thanks

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
You're not the only one.

Kept my iPhone is an Otterbox for almost two years and forgot what my phone actually looked (and felt) like.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Dont worry about those things... Just use your phone like any other phone and if it falls... Well, thats part of life

Desorbed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
You're not the only one.

Kept my iPhone is an Otterbox for almost two years and forgot what my phone actually looked (and felt) like.

Good to know that I'm not alone! :)

I would be fine with leaving my iPhone in my case for a year, because I actually like my case, but don't I have to bloody take it out and clean it every couple of days to make sure there are no dust/dirt scratching against the back?

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
This is hilarious, unless you are a collector and think Apple will stop making the iPhone in the near future, there is no reason to obsess over it. It's not like it's a rare item that no one else has....

Enjoy it for what it is, an Itouch will phone capabilities! I enjoy mine that way every day!

TRMC13

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
Sounds like something you need to discuss with a therapist. I'm actually serious. If you're having physical repercussions over an obsession with a physical object like a phone, you have bigger issues. Not only that, but you obsess over keeping this object in pristine condition for aesthetics and you put an ugly-ass case on it just to protect it? You have it all backwards. It's a tool, nothing more. It's like getting an anxiety attack over a screwdriver.

Desorbed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
This is hilarious, unless you are a collector and think Apple will stop making the iPhone in the near future, there is no reason to obsess over it. It's not like it's a rare item that no one else has....

Enjoy it for what it is, an Itouch will phone capabilities! I enjoy mine that way every day!

I wish I saw it like you did!! I don't really see it like that, through my obsessive eyes... I see it as I am holding a device worth $1000, a piece of expensive eye candy that has to remain as good as possible for the person I re-sell it to in a years time..

----------

Sounds like something you need to discuss with a therapist. I'm actually serious. If you're having physical repercussions over an obsession with a physical object like a phone, you have bigger issues. Not only that, but you obsess over keeping this object in pristine condition for aesthetics and you put an ugly-ass case on it just to protect it? You have it all backwards. It's a tool, nothing more. It's like getting an anxiety attack over a screwdriver.

This is very true, haha. Maybe the next step would be to email my friend, who's a professional psychologist... This is so embarrassing and so stupid, I need a slap in the face!

TRMC13

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
I wish I saw it like you did!! I don't really see it like that, through my obsessive eyes... I see it as I am holding a device worth $1000, a piece of expensive eye candy that has to remain as good as possible for the person I re-sell it to in a years time..

----------

This is very true, haha. Maybe the next step would be to email my friend, who's a professional psychologist... This is so embarrassing and so stupid, I need a slap in the face!

Consider yourself slapped. Seriously though, if you're THAT riled up about your phone, you should seek help. My fianceé's engagement ring cost 8x what you consider your iPhone to be worth and she doesn't put a case on it, or worry about if it gets brushed against something, or looks like it's actually been worn as it's intended to be. You don't get bonus points for having a flawless phone at the end of your life, and resale value isn't going to be cut in half because it's used.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California

It's hardly a screwdriver dude, or even a tool. Yes its a phone but we actually talk on them like 5% of the time. It's a smartphone, this is supposed to be fun guys. Watching movies, streaming new music, taking high-resolution pictures, facebooking friends if you have friends, playing the latest games, reading the news. You can easily get addicted to these things, and they were made for your entertainment so don't get pissy when someone is enjoying it alot, its not a damn screwdriver. If it was, why would we all even be on here this late?

transam7816

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2008
I bought a skin for the back/rails/front and it works great. No dust or scratches to worry about and no added bulk from a case. Never drop my phone so I'm not worried

TRMC13

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
It's hardly a screwdriver dude, or even a tool. Yes its a phone but we actually talk on them like 5% of the time. It's a smartphone, this is supposed to be fun guys. Watching movies, streaming new music, taking high-resolution pictures, facebooking friends if you have friends, playing the latest games, reading the news. You can easily get addicted to these things, and they were made for your entertainment so don't get pissy when someone is enjoying it alot, its not a damn screwdriver.

Depends on what you use it for "dude". It's a tool. Nothing more.

Desorbed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Consider yourself slapped. Seriously though, if you're THAT riled up about your phone, you should seek help. My fianceé's engagement ring cost 8x what you consider your iPhone to be worth and she doesn't put a case on it, or worry about if it gets brushed against something, or looks like it's actually been worn as it's intended to be. You don't get bonus points for having a flawless phone at the end of your life, and resale value isn't going to be cut in half because it's used.

Was the exact price of your fiancees ring really necessary? haha

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
Depends on what you use it for "dude". It's a tool. Nothing more.

Exactly, it can be used for almost whatever you want, its a small computer. People have been attached to computers for awhile as our modern society depends on them. So stop treating people badly for liking their iPhones like it's as strange as fiddling with a screwdriver for hours at a time. If you didn't like yours alot you probably wouldn't be on this thread in the middle of the night.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Take my advice...what I have done for the last 6 iPhones...

Use it as much as possible...no case...no screen protector.

Then when new iPhone releases...take the 5 into Apple..say something is wrong with it ( every iPhone ive ever had, has had a problem almost a year after buying it ) replace it, get a shiny new one..sell it.

Assuming you upgrade every year like me.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
This happened to me with my iPhone 4, back in the days: cleaning it everyday, avoid taking it out etc. Got the iPhone 5 on day one and was never really careful with it (I clean it once per week and sometimes even slip it in my schoolbag).
What I noticed is actually pretty funny: the 5 is looking GREAT (no dents, scratches...) whilst I remember that my iPhone 4 quickly got scratches etc.

Conclusion: enjoy, love your phone, and use it for God's sake! ;)

TRMC13

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
Was the exact price of your fiancees ring really necessary? haha

You couldn't figure it out from my post?

----------

Exactly, it can be used for almost whatever you want, its a small computer. People have been attached to computers for awhile as our modern society depends on them. So stop treating people badly for liking their iPhones like it's as strange as fiddling with a screwdriver for hours at a time. If you didn't like yours alot you probably wouldn't be on this thread in the middle of the night.

Middle of the night for you maybe. What does me being at my computer at this time or reading/responding to this disturbing thread have to do with me liking my phone?

Desorbed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Take my advice...what I have done for the last 6 iPhones...

Use it as much as possible...no case...no screen protector.

Then when new iPhone releases...take the 5 into Apple..say something is wrong with it ( every iPhone ive ever had, has had a problem almost a year after buying it ) replace it, get a shiny new one..sell it.

Assuming you upgrade every year like me.

My friend always told me to do this, but I always thought it was too good to be true. What's the catch? So you go in there before your 12 month warranty ends, try and find an excuse/issue with the iPhone, and then they give you a new one? That's awesome! What have been your issues with your iPhone that have gotten you new ones in the past? Any tips? This could really sort out my extreme obsessiveness if I knew I could do this.

----------

You couldn't figure it out from my post?

----------

Middle of the night for you maybe. What does me being at my computer at this time or reading/responding to this disturbing thread have to do with me liking my phone?

You misunderstood me. What I'm saying is, there wasn't really any need to state the exact amount of money you spent on your fiancees ring, not in this thread anyway. Not a big deal, but I just wanted to make that clear. :)

TRMC13

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
My friend always told me to do this, but I always thought it was too good to be true. What's the catch? So you go in there before your 12 month warranty ends, try and find an excuse/issue with the iPhone, and then they give you a new one? That's awesome! What have been your issues with your iPhone that have gotten you new ones in the past? Any tips? This could really sort out my extreme obsessiveness if I knew I could do this.

----------

You misunderstood me. What I'm saying is, there wasn't really any need to state the exact amount of money you spent on your fiancees ring, not in this thread anyway. Not a big deal, but I just wanted to make that clear. :)

Oh I understood completely, I just don't care.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Got a cheap bumper from flea bay and now I remove it once a week to give the phone a general clean.

No issues.

Desorbed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
I think you used the proper term, obsession.

For a phone.

:confused:

Yup haha, I have become obsessed with trying to keep my iPhone clean and mint 24/7 and it sucks.. I think that I'm just gonna calm down now and accept it as a device that I should enjoy, that's going to eventually have it's wear, and when my warranty is about to end, find a problem with it and replace it with a new one, for resale :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.