Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
Well, everyone loves the Nexus 10 and still iPad is the way to go. Why? Did the article hinted at the one strong reason that could be causing the anomaly? the App sphere.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
Well, everyone loves the Nexus 10 and still iPad is the way to go. Why? Did the article hinted at the one strong reason that could be causing the anomaly? the App sphere.

It depends on what you need...

It's the same argument that can be made for MacOSX vs Windows, only in reverse... :)

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I find it funny when a great product comes out and all people say on here is "Do we really need that many pixels??, who needs NFC, Even tho the Nexus10 has hdmi out, better screen, more capable OS, and is $100 cheaper the iPad is still the better option" Cant we give credit where credit is due?? :confused:

Sure, we should give credit where credit is due… But do we really need that many pixels?? :) Serious question! If you can't see any pixelation when using Apple's Retina display, why do you need more? I can't see any reason other than to boast about specs—and that's probably the only reason they've done it. Marketing. While Apple's advertising is centred around the user experience, much of the competition focuses on specs—because that's where they're able to beat Apple.

Similarly, I hope Apple doesn't feel the pressure to go beyond 8MP with their cameras. For a consumer camera of this kind, it's simply unnecessary—nothing but a waste of storage space to store all those extra pixels.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If you look at Google Play now vs the way their app store looked a year ago, you'd see that remarkable strides have been made.

I agree that adding DRM to at least a tier of paid apps will make the store far more compelling to developers, and I think that's necessary to bring in the best of the best apps (although a number of really good ones already exist there).

That said, there is a lot more available there that the typical Apple user believes, and I say that as a typical Apple user going into this past summer. I bought the Nexus 7 on a lark - my brother was coming to visit, and I wanted a cool toy to show him. I figured what the hell, it's $200 and if I didn't like it I'd still be able to use it as a GPS. In the months since, I've been stunned by what I can get (paid and free) on Google Play. The depth and breadth isn't like the App Store, but it really is a very nice alternative. I don't think I'd ever want to go iOS-less, but now I also don't want to go Android-less either.

For me, having a 7" Android sandwiched in between the iPhone and iPad is ideal. The Nexus 10 appeals to me for similar reasons - I can't do on it what I can do on an iPad, but the reverse is true as well. I'd be far more likely to watch movies (stereo speakers!) or log into work's MS Remote Desktop over SSH on the Nexus, and far more likely to run other apps (fun or creative) on the iPad, and then back to the 10 for development (it is unspeakably cool to me that I can actually build Android apps on an Android device should I want). To me, it's not either/or. It's both.

----------

Sure, we should give credit where credit is due… But do we really need that many pixels?? :) Serious question! If you can't see any pixelation when using Apple's Retina display, why do you need more? I can't see any reason other than to boast about specs—and that's probably the only reason they've done it. Marketing. While Apple's advertising is centred around the user experience, much of the competition focuses on specs—because that's where they're able to beat Apple.
Don't forget that Apple's marketing revolved almost solely around Retina displays for some time (and still does rely heavily on it), so they play the spec battle as well.

Higher resolution is always better if everything else remains the same (but it never does, since more pixel require more GPU, battery, etc). The improvements become increasingly invisible, and at some point they cease to pay off, but we've got a long way to go before improvements are invisible to the human eye.

All that said, I agree that the resolution difference between the iPad 4 and Nexus 10 isn't likely going to matter in most cases. The one I'd think it would most likely matter is in remote desktops - using a 2:1 reduction (each axis) would still result in better resolution for those desktops on the 10 as opposed to the 4, and that would be easily discernible.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Wait, what?

Okay, so I didn't read the full article, so maybe that's why I'm confused, but I'd imagine an Android tablet being a lot more capable of replacing a laptop than an iPad :confused:
Hi,
As per the highlighted text you quoted, the article is talking about "movies" not "laptops". Therefore, the iPad replaces the laptop as far as watching movies is concerned. :)

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
That's one thing I hate about Apple's product. The shiny shell is next to useless for a regular human being. I prefer holding my e-ink Kindle (rubbery back) than my iPod touch (stainless steel back).

Yes we can buy a shell for the Apple products, but it's still a flaw. Once again functionality loses over looks. These products are made to be used, not to be looked at on a display.

You won't be saying that in 3-7 years when that rubbery back is a gooey mess. I've seen this happen in many rubbery-coated devices like the ol' Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer and the Saitek Cyborg joystick.

That is ... if you haven't already sold your tablet within that time frame.

----------

If you look at Google Play now vs the way their app store looked a year ago, you'd see that remarkable strides have been made.

I agree that adding DRM to at least a tier of paid apps will make the store far more compelling to developers, and I think that's necessary to bring in the best of the best apps (although a number of really good ones already exist there).

That said, there is a lot more available there that the typical Apple user believes, and I say that as a typical Apple user going into this past summer. I bought the Nexus 7 on a lark - my brother was coming to visit, and I wanted a cool toy to show him. I figured what the hell, it's $200 and if I didn't like it I'd still be able to use it as a GPS. In the months since, I've been stunned by what I can get (paid and free) on Google Play. The depth and breadth isn't like the App Store, but it really is a very nice alternative. I don't think I'd ever want to go iOS-less, but now I also don't want to go Android-less either.

For me, having a 7" Android sandwiched in between the iPhone and iPad is ideal. The Nexus 10 appeals to me for similar reasons - I can't do on it what I can do on an iPad, but the reverse is true as well. I'd be far more likely to watch movies (stereo speakers!) or log into work's MS Remote Desktop over SSH on the Nexus, and far more likely to run other apps (fun or creative) on the iPad, and then back to the 10 for development (it is unspeakably cool to me that I can actually build Android apps on an Android device should I want). To me, it's not either/or. It's both.

----------

Don't forget that Apple's marketing revolved almost solely around Retina displays for some time (and still does rely heavily on it), so they play the spec battle as well.

Higher resolution is always better if everything else remains the same (but it never does, since more pixel require more GPU, battery, etc). The improvements become increasingly invisible, and at some point they cease to pay off, but we've got a long way to go before improvements are invisible to the human eye.

All that said, I agree that the resolution difference between the iPad 4 and Nexus 10 isn't likely going to matter in most cases. The one I'd think it would most likely matter is in remote desktops - using a 2:1 reduction (each axis) would still result in better resolution for those desktops on the 10 as opposed to the 4, and that would be easily discernible.

...and this is why fAndroids are wetting themselves over "Photo Sphere" when a similar 3rd party app was out on iOS over two years ago.

----------

Pentile technology is used in some Samsung AMOLED screens, not the PLS LCD's.

I keep reading that as Penile. What an odd name.

----------

The Nexus 7 is not a "relative" success, it's almost up to selling a million a month

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/10/30/asustek-nexus-7-sales-approaching-1-million-a-month/

And while it is true that the so called eco-system is lacking, Google is making a lot of headway with affordably priced products. Think about it, $349 for an unlocked 16GB Nexus 4 compared to a $649 16GB iPhone 5 is such a steal. Android is still developing itself, but is become better and better with each OS update, and it's only a matter of time before they are on par with iOS. I wish more tech companies would take the reasonably price route instead of following Apple's lead in the "premium" market.

I heard the same thing over three years ago.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Maybe you should tell that to the people who own Android tablets. Even with all of them out there, they account for less than 10% web traffic. Sounds like a good case that iOS devises are far more 'usable' - while still kicking ass in the looks department...

I was talking about the shell of the products, not the software they run. Big difference, as the web traffic numbers show as you say yourself.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
it's gorge but still not as sexy as the ipad.

now with the ipad mini and nexus im kinda of over the 10 inch tablet. my ipad 2 has been looking real chunky to me since nexus 7 came out.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil

Similarly, I hope Apple doesn't feel the pressure to go beyond 8MP with their cameras. For a consumer camera of this kind, it's simply unnecessary—nothing but a waste of storage space to store all those extra pixels.

You probably never had an oportunity of taking a picture with Nokia N8 or 808. It's like using a real camera. Sometimes it's like taking pictures with a premium compact camera like a Panasonic LX series or Canon S90/100. It's not cheap CMOS-sensor pictures beautified in Instagram. I'm very disappointed with my Galaxy Note 8MP camera - there's nothing wrong with the MP count if it had a BIG sensor like in the Nokias.

About the retina marketing, I think the sharpness will increase and if it has a bigger contrast ratio you'll be able to read even smaller text in the screen thanks to a density increase in the display.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Google is selling these devices at cost. They are that desperate to get someone, anyone, to buy an Android tablet. Which makes your entire premise about reasonably priced products wrong. How many companies can stay in business selling something they make no money on.
In their desperation Google has killed their manufacturing art ears ability to make a profit. HTC has already pulled out of the tablet market.
The iPad 4 screen is better especially in color gamut.
The iPad 4 CPU and gpu beat the snot out of the Nexus 10 Go read the Anandtech performance review.
The 16 go iPhone 5 is $599 not $649. Most top tier Android phones are at least as much as an iPhone and in some cases more.
The Nexus 4 doesn't even have LTE, SIM card slot, or removable battery and it has a glass back. All things android kids said were so horrible about the iPhone. Google subsidizes the cost of these too.
Nexus 7 numbers reports shipped not sold btw. Apple only reports sold to actual people.

The Nexus 7 is not a "relative" success, it's almost up to selling a million a month

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/10/30/asustek-nexus-7-sales-approaching-1-million-a-month/

And while it is true that the so called eco-system is lacking, Google is making a lot of headway with affordably priced products. Think about it, $349 for an unlocked 16GB Nexus 4 compared to a $649 16GB iPhone 5 is such a steal. Android is still developing itself, but is become better and better with each OS update, and it's only a matter of time before they are on par with iOS. I wish more tech companies would take the reasonably price route instead of following Apple's lead in the "premium" market.

----------

Ignorance is bliss :rolleyes:

Someon should tell Google that. They are begging developers to write tablet apps for this very reason.

----------

iPhone 5 and therefore iPad 4 destroy the Nexus 4 and 10 in benchmarks.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review

Compare the Nexus 7 and 10 screens to iPad 3 or 4. The Nexus look washed out with poor color gamut. You get what you pay for.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

but isn't the term retina define the point where thing don't look any difference at higher resolution anymore? Our eye cannot distinguish any higher resolution. Some of interesting Iphone 5 review go into the display improvement that Apple make (44% color saturation) and compare it to S3 and the new HTC device. Once you got to the retina spec for a particular device, the battle for better display become an issue of accurate color reproduction, contrast etc.. It is a good marketing feature since it has number that make comparison easy but it don't not have any effect in day to day usage...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Google is selling these devices at cost. They are that desperate to get someone, anyone, to buy an Android tablet. Which makes your entire premise about reasonably priced products wrong. How many companies can stay in business selling something they make no money on.

How can Asus' profits have risen (thanks in part to the Nexus 7) if they're losing on each one they sell?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/asustek-q3-net-profits-up-43-percent/

Asustek has just painted a pretty Q3 financial picture, showing a 43 percent jump in net profits -- $230 million compared to $160 million last year, according to the WSJ. Gross revenue also climbed 9 percent to around $3.8 billion, which the company attributes to the popularity of its Google-partnered Nexus 7 tablet, along with convertibles like the Transformer Prime TF201 and a healthy notebook lineup.

Do you know something that Asus isn't sharing with us (or its investors)?

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
In their desperation Google has killed their manufacturing art ears ability to make a profit. HTC has already pulled out of the tablet market.

The Nexus 10 will kill Samsung entry into tablet market as well even though they are the one that produce it. I bet the reason that Nexus 10 doesn't have 64K model is because Samsung will release a 64K model at high price (the same reason that Nexus 4 produced by LG don't support LTE. LG will sell the same phone with LTE at a much higher price). That is the only way Samsung can make any money from their design effort other than the money they get from Google in designing and manufacturing the Nexus10 (I am sure Samsung subcontract the manufacturing part out.. but I cannot see Google has the expertise to handle all the logistics). But what is Samsung going to do in the next iteration. Nexus 10 (and Nexus 7) establish a very low price point that no Android maker can make money on. ASUS is having the same problem for 7 inches Android tablet. The current price point will very much stick to all Android 7 inches and 10 inches tablet. So the entire Android manufacturing base will die soon enough. The situation in Android tablet space now is if you do really well and sell a lot of your tablet with high end spec (i.e. 64K LTE model), you can make 0-5% profit, may be. But if you are stuck with selling a lot of the low end model, you end up losing 5-20% of your money depending on the manufacturing cost (which in term depend on volume) and whether you have to clearance (i.e. more price drop) to clear your inventory at the end of the cycle. It is not a very enticing situation.

Microsoft takes an entirely different approach in pricing Surface RT. The price may not generate a lot of headline. But their manufacturing partner will at least has a fighting chance in the marketing knowing that if their design work well, they will make money in their tablet.

Last edited:

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Why still using this argument? Do you really that they are in shelves month after month?

No. Apple typically has 4-8 weeks of inventory in the channel. And in Apple's case, if it go to the carrier, it is a sales since carrier will pay for the items and they will have to run their clearance if they don't sell all the Apple products that they carry. If the mechandize go to Apple store, it won't count as sell until a customer pay for the item.

So if you apply the same level of inventory to Nexus 7, when Asus said they shipped 600K, 700k an closed to a million unit in the last 3 months, you can argue that Nexus 7 sell through to customers range between 700k units to 1.4m units in the last 3 months. And I think that is the reason that Google does not want to disclose the actual sales number. If they have really banner sales number, they will want the world to know. Very much like Apple announce the sales number of Iphone and Ipad every quarter. The only company that want to hire their sales number are the one that don't do well..

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The only company that want to hire their sales number are the one that don't do well..

Yes, that is the reason that Samsung doesn't release sales numbers, because they are bad :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When there is an increase month after month, using the shipped argument is stupid.

And, I repeat, Apple also doen't release end sales, they release shipped units

Carriers only pay for Apple phones, they don't pay for Samsung or LG phones? Really?

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
No. Apple typically has 4-8 weeks of inventory in the channel. And in Apple's case, if it go to the carrier, it is a sales since carrier will pay for the items and they will have to run their clearance if they don't sell all the Apple products that they carry. If the mechandize go to Apple store, it won't count as sell until a customer pay for the item.

So if you apply the same level of inventory to Nexus 7, when Asus said they shipped 600K, 700k an closed to a million unit in the last 3 months, you can argue that Nexus 7 sell through to customers range between 700k units to 1.4m units in the last 3 months. And I think that is the reason that Google does not want to disclose the actual sales number. If they have really banner sales number, they will want the world to know. Very much like Apple announce the sales number of Iphone and Ipad every quarter. The only company that want to hire their sales number are the one that don't do well..

It's still impressive that Apple has made their fortune from a small number of product SKU's compared to Samsung's massive number of product SKU's. It shows where the quality really is - with Apple of course. The new iPads just owned the tablet category and put the crown further out of reach from the competition. :apple:

In the parlance of a tech colleague of mine, "iPad 4 smokes all the so-called "iPad killers." LOL!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
but isn't the term retina define the point where thing don't look any difference at higher resolution anymore? Our eye cannot distinguish any higher resolution. Some of interesting Iphone 5 review go into the display improvement that Apple make (44% color saturation) and compare it to S3 and the new HTC device. Once you got to the retina spec for a particular device, the battle for better display become an issue of accurate color reproduction, contrast etc.. It is a good marketing feature since it has number that make comparison easy but it don't not have any effect in day to day usage...
I agree that for most people, Retina is fine enough, but there's certainly still room on the ~10" front for discernible improvement with higher resolutions. "Retina" is Apple's term using Apple's standard for how far away the display needs to be before the average person won't notice a change, but it's not literally the finest resolution the human eye can perceive. For most apps, images, movies, etc., there is no improvement with even finer resolutions, but with vector graphics and fine images, you'll see a difference between the iPad 4 and Nexus 10.

That said, I agree that color accuracy, contrast, brightness, etc. are at least as important, and that resolution is just part of the perceived image quality. Still, given how much Apple harped on the fantastic benefits of Retina, it's only fair to see them pushed back a bit.

iMLo

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
I was talking about the shell of the products, not the software they run. Big difference, as the web traffic numbers show as you say yourself.

You were saying that the rubbery back makes the device far more usable, and that the iPad's metal back made it less usable.

Perhaps that is true for you...if that's your preference then so be it, but its obvious that the iPad is plenty usable with its metal shell.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
You were saying that the rubbery back makes the device far more usable, and that the iPad's metal back made it less usable.

Perhaps that is true for you...if that's your preference then so be it, but its obvious that the iPad is plenty usable with its metal shell.

"plenty usable" does not esclude that one can be more usable than the other.
Like screen resolution. Nobody cared until the iPhone 3GS because it was resolute enough, then the 4 came and everybody turned into a DPI game.

tylernol

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
"'Look how great Android tablets can be,' the company seems to be saying, 'if only you'd make great apps!'"

Maybe if the Android SDK didn't suck so bad, they would! :)

exactly. Developing for iOS is lovely, the frameworks are well thought out and I love Objective C. Java and the Android SDK are a mess.

iMLo

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
"plenty usable" does not esclude that one can be more usable than the other.
Like screen resolution. Nobody cared until the iPhone 3GS because it was resolute enough, then the 4 came and everybody turned into a DPI game.

Yes. Plenty usable means it generates 90% of web traffic with fewer SKUs then Android devices...and since web traffic is a darn good representation of much a device is used, I say it's 'plenty usable'

My point was focused on the fact that another poster said that the rubbery back on Android devices made those devices more usable then the metal back on the iPad. Again, maybe that is his preference, but the numbers show that for most everyone else it's not the case.

To that posters point though I do get what you're saying about software. I guess you'd like to see an iPad with a rubbery back?

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

But their main focus tends to be on usable benefits rather than raw numbers. For example, they tend to compare performance benchmarks in preference to quoting CPU speeds in MHz. Why do you suppose they came up with the 'Retina' marketing term? Was it not to try and make a connection between the numbers and the actual human experience? They were saying that when the Retina display is held at a usable distance, the pixels are indistinguishable to the human eye. So like I said, Apple's marketing tends to focus on the user experience. Whereas the competition often likes to list their raw specs alongside Apple's, the implication being that higher numbers make for a better device.

I think the benefit to increasing the resolution again would be so small (unnoticeable to the average user) that it just doesn't justify the effort. Someone mentioned being able to read even smaller type… Well okay, we could print tiny 3 point type today using solid inks and a printer capable of 2400 DPI—but what would be the point? Who would want to read it?

In the real world, iPad users aren't requiring or even asking for higher resolutions. Above a point, certain specs (like pixel density) aren't driven by need, but by the desire to have something that's better than someone else's.

Apple propagates the same desire by the way, through its own brand of marketing, which includes focusing on things like the appearance of the device, how thin it is, how beautiful it is, etc. Many of these things aren't really necessary either, but it drives the same desire to have the latest, greatest thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.