Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Haven't seen neither The Big Heat nor Young Frankenstein up to now, but Karloff's Frankenstein is a true gem and Whale is a master of his craft. It's (by far) my favorite of all these horror films. I do read often that The Bride is supposed to be even better, but I disagree, while it's a great movie nevertheless. The scene where: SPOILER the father took his dead daughter into the celebrating village, is breathtaking imho and strongly reminds me on the 'coffin' scene in Vampyr END SPOILER
With these movies, I always try to imagine how it must have been when people saw it for the first time back in the 30s. Which one do you actually prefer?

I am still searching for The Son of Frankenstein with Rathbone. Hard to find a copy here.

Although they all are associated with the horror genre, it's more of a showcase of philosophical and psychological themes and motives. Great stuff!

You haven't seen "Young Frankenstein!!!:eek: Oh, shame, shame...you must see it!

"Bride Of Frankenstein" (as well as "The Invisible Man" - also directed by Whales) employed some humor. Shakespeare thought humor heightened the impact of drama, so there is a good history for the concept. I prefer the original "Frankenstein"..as you can tell from my avatar. The classic movie station TCM ran "Bride..." and "Son of..." after the original. They're both very good, and worth seeing, but I still prefer the original.

The version with Rathbone is OK, but not up to the original. Karloff's subtlety, even in that unforgiving makeup, (which he helped design) was remarkable.

The picture below is from "Bride of...". I have it framed on my wall...

Attachments

• Frankensyein Poster.png
    Frankensyein Poster.png
    501.5 KB · Views: 118

Lavinia

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
That's my Boy 5.9/10: Funny in parts, Adam Sandler's accent voice was a bit annoying, had a good cast but could have been better and Andy Samberg is funny as hell as always!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
You haven't seen "Young Frankenstein!!!:eek: Oh, shame, shame...you must see it!

"Bride Of Frankenstein" (as well as "The Invisible Man" - also directed by Whales) employed some humor. Shakespeare thought humor heightened the impact of drama, so there is a good history for the concept. I prefer the original "Frankenstein"..as you can tell from my avatar. The classic movie station TCM ran "Bride..." and "Son of..." after the original. They're both very good, and worth seeing, but I still prefer the original.

The version with Rathbone is OK, but not up to the original. Karloff's subtlety, even in that unforgiving makeup, (which he helped design) was remarkable.

The picture below is from "Bride of...". I have it framed on my wall...

I do love your avatar Shrink, but I'm glad you didn't name yourself iGor or something :D

And I agree on the Rathbone take not being up to the rest, although I've seen only a shady youtube version. But I fell in love with him and Nigel Bruce. :eek:
The Invisible Man is a decent picture, but I think I'll see it only on rare occasions, somehow I can't stand his voice :)o). How's the Wolf Man? I'm not that fond of Lugosi to be honest, haven't even seen Dracula either...I know, I know....
I did greatly enjoy The Body Snatcher and The Old Dark House though, if that's of any interest. Ahem.

Young Frankenstein: noted

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I do love your avatar Shrink, but I'm glad you didn't name yourself iGor or something :D

And I agree on the Rathbone take not being up to the rest, although I've seen only a shady youtube version. But I fell in love with him and Nigel Bruce. :eek:
The Invisible Man is a decent picture, but I think I'll see it only on rare occasions, somehow I can't stand his voice :)o). How's the Wolf Man? I'm not that fond of Lugosi to be honest, haven't even seen Dracula either...I know, I know....
I did greatly enjoy The Body Snatcher and The Old Dark House though, if that's of any interest. Ahem.

Young Frankenstein: noted

I think "The Body Snatcher" is a brilliant film, and arguably Karloff's best performance. The scene where the pretty young street singer is killed (she walks into the dark, the carriage follows her, and here mournful song is suddenly cut off) is unbelievably good. It is characteristic of Val Lewton, who produced the film and obviously influenced the director. Lewton produced "The Cat People" (Robert Wise directed), and all of the horror occurs off camera and is tremendously effective...in particular the swimming pool scene.

"The Invisible Man" was Claude Raines' first film, and he was chosen for his voice!! Interesting that you didn't like his voice.

The "Wolf Man" is a necessary classic and should be seen at least once for historic value, if for no other reason.Lugosi only has a small role (Bela, the gypsy), the film stars Lon Chaney, JR. and (the voice again!) Claude Rains. Super FX for the time. You must (!) see "Dracula" of course and, if you can find it, the 1922 "Nosferatu", the first version of the "Dracula" book. (They couldn't use the title "Dracula" even though it was based on the book, because of conflict between the producers and Bram Stoker's widow.)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I think "The Body Snatcher" is a brilliant film, and arguably Karloff's best performance. The scene where the pretty young street singer is killed (she walks into the dark, the carriage follows her, and here mournful song is suddenly cut off) is unbelievably good. It is characteristic of Val Lewton, who produced the film and obviously influenced the director. Lewton produced "The Cat People" (Robert Wise directed), and all of the horror occurs off camera and is tremendously effective...in particular the swimming pool scene.

"The Invisible Man" was Claude Raines' first film, and he was chosen for his voice!! Interesting that you didn't like his voice.

The "Wolf Man" is a necessary classic and should be seen at least once for historic value, if for no other reason.Lugosi only has a small role (Bela, the gypsy), the film stars Lon Chaney, JR. and (the voice again!) Claude Rains. Super FX for the time. You must (!) see "Dracula" of course and, if you can find it, the 1922 "Nosferatu", the first version of the "Dracula" book. (They couldn't use the title "Dracula" even though it was based on the book, because of conflict between the producers and Bram Stoker's widow.)

I got a great edition of Nosferatu with a very interesting commentary. It's the grandaddy of 'em all. The great Max Schreck! And yeah, the singer-scene in Body Snatcher is very remarkable.

And it's interesting that you've mentioned Lewton. I didn't know he was in charge there. He's one of my 2nd tier favorites. Saw I Walked With A Zombie couple of weeks ago for the first time - I love his style and of course the Cat People. Highly idiosyncratic style imho.
And well, seems I have to get Wolf Man and Dracula then....I do own Dracula's Daughter, but wouldn't really recommend it. Got it because of a nice 'lesbian' scene with Nan Grey (remember, still 1936s).

And while we're at it, what do you think of The Raven (Karloff+Lugosi one)? I kind of liked it, although the ending wasn't as good as I'd expected. Liked the house design.
And please no spoilers, but I'm about to watch The Strange Next Door soon. I wrote it some days ago already, but you've seen Rashomon by Kurosawa? Masterpiece, but assuming you're quite fond of chilling pieces: there is a VERY chilling 'Medium' scene....I'll never forget that one.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
You must (!) see "Dracula" of course.

I just remember some remarks about the Spanish Dracula version, which is supposed to be superior to the 'original' one. You know something about that?

Sorry for double post though.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I got a great edition of Nosferatu with a very interesting commentary. It's the grandaddy of 'em all. The great Max Schreck! And yeah, the singer-scene in Body Snatcher is very remarkable.

And it's interesting that you've mentioned Lewton. I didn't know he was in charge there. He's one of my 2nd tier favorites. Saw I Walked With A Zombie couple of weeks ago for the first time - I love his style and of course the Cat People. Highly idiosyncratic style imho.
And well, seems I have to get Wolf Man and Dracula then....I do own Dracula's Daughter, but wouldn't really recommend it. Got it because of a nice 'lesbian' scene with Nan Grey (remember, still 1936s).

And while we're at it, what do you think of The Raven (Karloff+Lugosi one)? I kind of liked it, although the ending wasn't as good as I'd expected. Liked the house design.
And please no spoilers, but I'm about to watch The Strange Next Door soon. I wrote it some days ago already, but you've seen Rashomon by Kurosawa? Masterpiece, but assuming you're quite fond of chilling pieces: there is a VERY chilling 'Medium' scene....I'll never forget that one.

I think you're confusing "The Raven" and "The Black Cat". "The Raven", with Vincent Price, Peter Lorrie, and Karloff, was a horror-comedy, "The Black Cat", with Bela Lugosi and Karloff, is set in this absolutely incredible "modern" art deco house. The set design and art direction (not to mention Karloff's hair styling) were terrific. The movie was pretty good, not great, but I enjoy it visually.

My taste in film is more catholic than just one genre. As far as the films I enjoy...yes, I enjoy the classic horror films, but my favorite genre is film noir. I am enamored by the films of the 30's and 40's (and some early 50's). The Warner Bros noir films of the 40's are brilliant. I also like the gangster films of that era. In fact, I'll watch almost anything form that time period...with the exception of musicals...which I won't watch with a gun to my head.

I am most fond of black and white films. There is so much that can be done with light/dark, shadow (chiaroscuro), and general lighting (see James Wong Howe) that I don't see in color films. You can do some creative stuff with filters in color films, but I MUCH prefer black and white.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I think you're confusing "The Raven" and "The Black Cat".

Correct. The Raven was the first screen appearance of Jack Nicholson btw. It also was my first Karloff movie and I didn't really liked what I saw. Glad I gave him a second chance. :cool:

So did you see Rashomon or not? It's beautifully shot in b&w.

And yeah, it's those thread-jackers again. Not our fault! But, as my boss suggests, I'm going to work a bit now for a while. Very pleasing discussion, as always!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I just remember some remarks about the Spanish Dracula version, which is supposed to be superior to the 'original' one. You know something about that?

I've seen so many versions of "Dracula" I honestly don't remember if I've seen the Spanish version...probably, but if I did it didn't make a big impression. Or, I never saw it and that's why I don't remember it. When you're my age, remembering your name is an accomplishment!!:p

Correct. The Raven was the first screen appereance of Jack Nicholson btw. It also was my first Karloff movie and I didn't really liked what I saw. Glad I gave him a second chance. :cool:

So did you see Rashomon or not? It's beautifully shot in b&w.

I saw it a LOOOONG time ago. You can't really go wrong with Kurosawa..."The Seventh Samurai:, "Yojimbo", etc. The wonderful potential of black and white seems infinite. Not to say there aren't wonderful color films...the visuals of John Ford's stuff filmed in Monument Valley, and Moab, Utah are breathtaking. But I'll still go for black and white...

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'll take these as cheap excuses and assume you haven't seen the Spanish version. ;)

the medium scene starts at 51:00.

Busted!! :p

All my excuses are cheap excuses...I can't afford the really good ones!!:D

OK, I probably didn't see the Spanish version (maybe), but have you seen the blaxploitation "Dracula"...called "Blacula"!! Truly bad...but worth it for laughs.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Busted!! :p

All my excuses are cheap excuses...I can't afford the really good ones!!:D

OK, I probably didn't see the Spanish version (maybe), but have you seen the blaxploitation "Dracula"...called "Blacula"!! Truly bad...but worth it for laughs.

I've heard of it. My blaxploitation 'library' ain't worth mentioning though, except that I'd highly recommend Across 110th Street, besides all the classics like Shaft, Superfly et al.

But I'll counter your Blackula with Warhole's Blood for Dracula, which is quite trashy on the surface but alas, I love it! I'd go as far as calling it 'a piece of art'. ;) Honestly.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wow. I'm impressed - following the pair of you on this thread is a veritable education in the history of cinematography.

Re Nosferatu, I can only agree - superb, and what a brilliantly told story. Utterly gripping.

As for the rest which have been under discussion, clearly I have a lot yet to see, savour and study. And, yes, in some cases, enjoy, too.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Just watched The Avengers with the family. My five year old thought everyone had a superhero name like Hawkeye and told my wife that Nick Fury's superhero name was Black Guy. I let him down easily.

May 8, 2008
Watched 'Ruby Sparks' last night. The premise was fun and the movie explored some interesting moral/ ethical questions towards the end. Worth renting IMO.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Wow. I'm impressed - following the pair of you on this thread is a veritable education in the history of cinematography.

Re Nosferatu, I can only agree - superb, and what a brilliantly told story. Utterly gripping.

As for the rest which have been under discussion, clearly I have a lot yet to see, savour and study. And, yes, in some cases, enjoy, too.

Hey, good to see you, Mate.:D

I was wondering where you were!!

When you watch the movies, enjoy them for what they ARE, not what they could be...:)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Joining the club of the pleasantly satisfied Promethei. Was really surprised of how good it was - loved it when David mimics Peter O' Toole -hilarious. Would even do without a sequel for me.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
OK, I probably didn't see the Spanish version (maybe).

Don't know how you watch your movies and if that's of any interest for you, but this year was a very good BluRay box with all these horror classics released [Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection].
The Spanish Version is also listed as a bonus. It was shot at night on the very same sets that Todd Browning used for his Lugosi one. Doing so, they looked at the previous shots of Browning and had some more time to improve on angles, lightning etc. pp. I'd say you should watch it if you can.

And since I'm still amazed by Fassbenders Prometheus performance: Has anyone here seen Shame or Hunger? Are they worth watching?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Don't know how you watch your movies and if that's of any interest for you, but this year was a very good BluRay box with all these horror classics released [Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection].
The Spanish Version is also listed as a bonus. It was shot at night on the very same sets that Todd Browning used for his Lugosi one. Doing so, they looked at the previous shots of Browning and had some more time to improve on angles, lightning etc. pp. I'd say you should watch it if you can.

And since I'm still amazed by Fassbenders Prometheus performance: Has anyone here seen Shame or Hunger? Are they worth watching?

I watch old movies on a TV channel called TCM (Turner Classic Movies)...the station is just gold!! (Yes, I'm still a cable guy!) They show films from the 20's through the 60's, withe a definite emphasis on the earlier stuff. It's just such a wonderful station, it's on my TV about 90% of the time. I have considered getting a Blu-Ray and buying some DVDs (TCM has a store...they sell everything in boxed sets - coincidentally the are selling the set you recommended. Some of their sets are produced by the station), but the recent purchase of both the new iPhone 5 and the new iPad 4, my credit cards are in a state of melt down.

I have seen neither "Shame" nor "Hunger". I'm so embarrassed!!:eek: Based on your recommendation, I will find them and give them a look.

Not only did Browning do the day/night shooting on the same set, Roger Corman (King of the low budgets) did something similar. He would shoot more than one movie at a time, using the same basic sets with different dressings.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I have seen neither "Shame" nor "Hunger". I'm so embarrassed!!:eek: Based on your recommendation, I will find them and give them a look.

:confused:
Why embarrassed? And I have neither seen nor recommended them. But you can go find and watch them and report back later if you want to. ;)
Todays menu says Wild at Heart. Another Lynch to discover - love it!

Edit: Elvis and Marilyn on the road: Wild at heart, weird on top. Great movie.

Last edited:

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Between Halloween and this weekend, I watched Harry Potter 1-4. I still prefer the original Dumbledore, but what with the whole death of an actor thing, what can you do? Not that Michael Gambon isn't a good actor, I just liked the way Richard Harris portrayed the character.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I finished "Werewolf: The Beast Among Us". Woohoo, Nathan Stark is in it. IMDB rates it 4.9/10. I think that's about right. Nothing really wrong with it, but nothing to write home about, either.

It was fun to watch, though.

May 8, 2008
Saw 'Skyfall', 'Flight' and 'Save The Date' this weekend.

I enjoyed them all when viewed in the context of their respective genres.

Though, with the $10.00 rental price tag on 'Save The Date' in iTunes, I'd recommend waiting until it's available at the standard $3.99/ $4.99 rental price point sometime early next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.