Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micke1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Hi Im currently thinking of switching from pc to mac.

I have used pc:s since somewhere 1990 on more or less daily basis. And I also did a lot od stuff in unix working with 3d cad systems and plm systems from 97 and up to present day..so I guess I have some computer skills..

But I guess many of you have done this switch...
So what was hardest to get used to in mac compared to old pc habits??

And also what was and has been the best profits of going to mac??

best regards micael:)

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Mac is so simple to use when you know how of coarse like anything
The best thing about a mac is been able to multi task have lots of programs open all at once which you couldn't do on a windows machine.Other great ting about the mac is there is no really any viruses around to harm your mac.Me personally i do a lot of video editing and converting and photo editing so a mac is great for me because it does it so well and so easy too.
I would suggest going to apple store and haven a go on one before you make your mind up because you might not like it at all its not a thing everyone likes some people like it some people don't like it at all and the end of the day it down to personal preference.

I have been on a mac about four years now and its the best thing i ever did i wont go back to using a windows machine again sometimes i have to use a windows machine but i don't like using because to me its a lot slower then using a mac.I just go on the web one day and i looked at mac i was in two minds in buying one and i thought oh well i buy one and see what its like if its no good i just sell it and get some money back and get a windows machine from some where.Have a look on youtube about mac and pc pros and cons there be loads of information on there about them

hope it helps you out a bit and you get a nice machine sorted out

squan

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
For me:

Hardest
- Learning how to use Finder effectively, in the beginning I thought it was way to chaotic, but that's just adapting.
- Shortcuts, but again also just adapting
- Figuring out how the OS is structured, what's the root folder ea, where are my fonts, my userdata... That kinda stuff

Bestest
- Installing programs, just by simply dragging it to the folder
- No more constantly updating drivers and such
- Way less malware
- Since recently: Appstore

But basically apple's OS on the whole was a big relief on terms of simplicity and stabillity. It just works.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany

I have used pc:s since somewhere 1990 on more or less daily basis. And I also did a lot od stuff in unix working with 3d cad systems and plm systems from 97 and up to present day..so I guess I have some computer skills..

for me, first was cut/copy paste...but that was solved with xtrafinder.
my most annoyance to mac is inability to cut paste file directly on to mail (need to do copy/paste).
but again, there are so much benefits that in one month, u will forget everything else.

i forced myself to use mac only and within a month, i got used to everything without too much of a problem. and now i dont like pcs at all!

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Nothing hard really, Mac is a very simple os; if all fails you can always bootcamp.

But i miss copy & paste :eek:

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
Hardest to adjust to - No true "delete" key on standard apple keyboard, cut and paste.

Best thing - Everything else - including simplicity of home small office networking of computers, networking printers, back up systems etc.

Don't walk - run to the apple store and rid yourself of the nightmare windows is. I made the switch in the last year or so. My wife and I now have an iMac 21.5, two MacBook Airs, a Thunderbolt Display, a Time Capsule, Airport Express (for wireless music from all devices to home stereo receiver), two iPhones and an iPad.

I am the guy in our house that deals with every computer issue that arises. Before I went on this mission to switch my life was he**. Now - I'm relaxing on the couch and maybe once a month some small thing pops up and i get it fixed in 5 minutes. These machines work - its that simple.

One last thing - our computers all have SSDs and they take about 10 seconds to boot. What a relief!

micke1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Hi all and thanks for replies...
sound mostly good..

however is ther no cut,copy and paste in max os??
if not what do you do instead??

I thought that teher where copy/paste in mountain lion? or

another thing...does it work with software like paragon to read/write to ntfs harddrives?? I have a couple today so..

another question Ive been thinking about is if theres no match in mac os to windows registry??
best regards micke:)

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Who says you can't have a foot in each world? Since the move to Intel, you can have Windoze/OSX on the same hardware. This is very useful if you have software that only runs on Windows or if you need to test a web site for example. Buying an extra OS is expensive but not as expensive as buying another computer.

To me it's easier to go from PC to Mac than vice versa. You'll need to get used to using Command rather than Control, the three finger salute uses different keys and there's extra work involved in cutting. The Finder is more flexible/useful than Explorer once you get used to it. Study the Mac key commands to get your workflow back up to speed. There's also no registry.

To me the big differentiator is the user experience. Things are designed to be simple and just work so I can spend LESS time on the computer. It will feel weird at first to not have to spend time on maintenance but go for a bike ride, gym, fly a kite, engage with real life and the feeling will pass. OSX is not perfect by any stretch but it's the best of all our choices.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
The Mac by design is generally pretty easy to get to grips with. Obviously the time it takes before you feel 100% comfortable varies from user to user, but it normally takes around 2 weeks before you feel fully comfortable with the operating system. Apple has some great resources for new users including short tutorial videos and switching guides. An overview of some of these resources and some common issues that new Mac users can struggle with can be found here. Also search for Mac to PC switching guides on this forum and you will find some useful threads.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I agree - two weeks of great frustration and then the curve turns downward and over a short period of time you wake up one morning and its like u have been using mac all your life. The problem is at the beginning you will probably have moments when you cannot figure out how to so something and you need to do it NOW and that will be frustrating. But it goes away, quickly.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Hi all and thanks for replies...
sound mostly good..

I thought that teher where copy/paste in mountain lion? or

another thing...does it work with software like paragon to read/write to ntfs harddrives?? I have a couple today so..

another question Ive been thinking about is if theres no match in mac os to windows registry??

Mountain Lion supports Cut and Paste, although it works a little differently than Windows. In the Finder, you don't cut the file, but select the files that you want to move, press cmd+c. Then to move the file to a new location you press alt+cmd+v instead of cmd+v.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

There is no built in Cut in the Finder. You move a file, if on the same volume or copy if on different volumes. Then you have to go back and delete the original if you don't want it anymore. I think the idea behind this is if the computer crashes while your data is on the clipboard, you lose the data but I could be wrong.

OSX will read an NTFS volume but not write. You can use free extensions to do this but I like "NTFS for Mac OSX" the best of the paid solutions. If you're in an all Mac environment you can do without this but it's necessary to share files back and forth in mixed environs.

No registry to hack, or get corrupted or have to maintain.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Actually cut and paste is old news. Mountain Lion has fixed this now. Copy and use cmd alt v and you have a move. No need to delete the file. You can also do this by dragging and then just start holding down cmd as you drag. Let go of the mouse button and then cmd. Notice if there's a green plus it is copying, otherwise it moves the file. This has existed for a long time.

There is no built in Cut in the Finder. You move a file, if on the same volume or copy if on different volumes. Then you have to go back and delete the original if you don't want it anymore. I think the idea behind this is if the computer crashes while your data is on the clipboard, you lose the data but I could be wrong.

OSX will read an NTFS volume but not write. You can use free extensions to do this but I like "NTFS for Mac OSX" the best of the paid solutions. If you're in an all Mac environment you can do without this but it's necessary to share files back and forth in mixed environs.

No registry to hack, or get corrupted or have to maintain.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Actually cut and paste is old news. Mountain Lion has fixed this now. Copy and use cmd alt v and you have a move. No need to delete the file. You can also do this by dragging and then just start holding down cmd as you drag. Let go of the mouse button and then cmd. Notice if there's a green plus it is copying, otherwise it moves the file. This has existed for a long time.

Cmd alt v worked in Lion.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
The hardest part for me was getting used to cmd + tab for switching programs. When you minimize a program it will switch but not appear. There is a trick to getting it back. You have to move your finger to the alt key and let go of cmd to make the window appear. Weirdness. The whole mission control thing is a bit of a mess in OS X IMO. It definitely takes a while to get used to. Also cmd + ` for switching windows is different and takes getting used to. Installing software is something you should look up before attempting. It's easy but different in some cases than Windows. The real power of OS X is cleverly hidden by Apple from the casual user. So it has the appearance of simplicity. But most good OS X citizens are scriptable and there is even a powerful scripting agent called Automator that you will never touch unless OS X or some program doesn't do something you want. The other thing that takes getting used to is the whole menu bar way of doing menus. It's much more elegant but it will disorient you at first. There are tons of switcher videos on YouTube. It's not difficult. It's just a bit disorienting and you have to be willing to look things up a bit. It's a much more pleasant virtual world in the end and your efforts will be rewarded.

----------

True.

Cmd alt v worked in Lion.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Actually cut and paste is old news.
Looks like I am just joining mac osx at about the right time then. ;-)

I think it has reached a point about a year ago where I can trust mac osx not to fall in to crippling compatibility issues, or to become trapped in the i* circle. I have used macs before but for me smartphones have shown great steps in hardware and software integration. I now look back at my windows machine and think why am I lumbered with this old thing that has not changed in 10 years.

The new macs are going to have quite an impact for me, and after years of swearing by windows.

timcullis

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
London
I am tired of being technical support to the rest of the family. I've been using PCs since before the term was invented (late 1970s i8086 and Z80 microcomputers) and I'm horrified that Windows computers are increasingly more difficult to use, rather than becoming simple tools.

I got fed up with changes in the UI with every release of Windows, plus many of my applications that ran perfectly under Windows XP wouldn't run properly under Windows 7 even under compatibility mode.

So I'm several months into a slow migration. I bought a MacBook Air to play with which has been fun. Windows is ultimately more flexible but it's an ill-defined flexibility that brings with it software instability and viruses. OS X has been lovely to work with and the 'migration' from Lion to Mountain Lion was simplicity itself. If you are prepared to lose a bit of flexibility and learn to do things the Apple way it will be a good move.

I'm only 20 minutes from an Apple store so I bought a year's worth of Apple One-to-One support which entitles me to unlimited training. This is good for me, and it's also good for Apple as it ensured my migration trial was a success which means I buy more Apple stuff. I've just bought an iPhone 5 and an AirPrint-compatible printer and am now about to commit to the rest of the migration involving iMacs, Time Capsule, full size and mini iPads and another MacBook.

The only application that I can't find an alternative for is Garmin Mapsource so I'm running a Windows XP partition under Parallels Desktop that enables me to run the Windows application in an OS X window.

Last edited:

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I think you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago. My life is waaaay better now than it was about a year ago. I went on a mission to rid myself of windows after the first few months with my Air. Sticking with Windows is not unlike sticking in a bad marriage. You do it out of loyalty, which may be a good character trait in human relations, but not so good in the realm of consumer goods.

There are somethings you run into that wont run on mac. Not many. And there are always work arounds - or you can run windows on your mac. Whatever.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011

The hardest part is realising you have been drafted as a beta tester for each OS release. Apple do notoriously little testing which is why there are so many patches and updates.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
For me the most difficult thing was the mouse acceleration…

And of course the Finder, but it still is crap so it is not necessarily something I had to get used to.

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA
Being new to Mac I'm finding the transition easy so far. I think it's possibly over rated. I love shedding loose of the horrible PC clutter; much cleaner and faster. There's even less clutter on my power strip, fewer walwarts as the extra firewire pin powers up my external HD and audio interface.

I'm sure I'll come across something I need to figure out, but that's what forums are for.

Fifteen20s

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
I switched from PC to Mac in June, I had never owned an Apple product until I got my iPhone + iPad in April.

The hardest thing was changing my thought process. When I was first setting up my iMac I was trying to set everything to emulate the look and feel of my windows box and it was frustrating. Don’t do this.

I changed my train of thought, put everything back the way it was, then forced myself to learn the Mac way with changing as little settings as possible. After a few days all was well.

keyboard shortcuts took awhile to get used too.

Another thing that was hard is accepting that I can not change parts in my iMac. I have always built my own PC’s and very much disliked the AIO idea. Well they say Hardware and Software made for each other. I knew this but had a hard time accepting this. The mac may not have the latest and greatest hardware but the developer knows what hardware the end user is using so they can make the software to work with it.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Here's a message I sent to a couple of recent switchers!

Here's the list of os x stuff I sent Josh that I think your mom might find helpful. The website http://www.macupdate.com is the best place to find os x software and discover cool stuff. Also, a great bunch of free starter apps can be found if you search for "Lifehacker Pack for Mac". This is a list of the best os x freeware available. The other main thing before you start installing apps is to just google how to do that. It's a bit different in os x. If it's a dmg file (be sure to turn file extensions on in the finder preferences, see below) then you have to drag the .app file contained within it (once you double click it to launch) to the applications folder and then eject the dmg volume from finder. .pkg files work like windows installs. The other main thing is to download a little freeware app called appcleaner . It's very nice. Some programs come with uninstallers. Anything huge from adobe and MS will come with such uninstalllers. Use them. If they don't have an uninstaller then drag the program to the appcleaner window and delete using this method. That way you will be sure to get rid of settings files which can because a mess. OS X doesn't have a registry file though! So, it's not as pressing a problem as in windows. The other main thing is to learn how switching applications using cmd + tab works. It's a bit different if a window is minimized. Here's brief description: http://www.macworld.com/article/1152366/commandtabminimizedwindows.html . Never install an antivirus application on os x. It's just marketing and nonsense. There exist no os x viruses and never have. If you're worried you can download a free program from the app store that you can use to scan any files you are suspicious of. Also, avoid installing adobe reader. OS X comes with the best adobe reader in the world called Preview. So, never never install that crap. Also, if you install chrome you can avoid installing the flash plugin since chrome has it built in. Flash is the main security hole in os x along with the java plugin, which is not being better updated lately. Learn how to use finder. It's actually pretty decent. The editor built into os x called TextEdit is remarkably brilliant. It will open and allow editing of word docs, even docx, and all kinds of other file types. Remember it's not windows so don't expect stuff to suck that comes bundled. Itunes in os x is a fair bit more tolerable. Some of the stuff below is specific to my friend's needs. So ignore whatever isn't relevant.

Here's a bunch of little tips/gotchas I thought of that might make the switch over more pleasant:
--use cmd+space to launch apps from spotlight and do basic searches
--all files in finder will show most recent files at the top if you sort it that way, pretty handy
--there's an app called activity monitor for checking if something is acting weird, you can force kill processes, and there's also an app called console that logs everything happening on the system, both are in utilities
--cmd+alt+esc is like cntrl+alt+del in windows, brings up running apps list and you can force quite from here
--system preferences > users & groups > login items gives you a list of what's loading at startup in case you ever want to kill startup processes manually
--if you want to add way more gestures to the trackpad, such as deleting files, then download this bad boy: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32953/bettertouchtool
-- get macintosh hd in finder: Right click on Application and click Open Enclosing Folder. It will open Macintosh HD folder in new window. Drag the top center icon, disc, to the left-side bar in Finder under Favorites.

--forward delete: fn+delete! probably already figured this one out

--delete without mouse and confirmation cmd+delete

--quicklook hit spacebar in finder shows what's in the file, I have an addon that will syntax highlight all files with text content, and open all text files regardless of extension. very handy (ask me about this when we meet). also there's a terminal command that will enable you to copy content from a file. very handy.

--enable crumb trail in finder (very important): go to view > show path bar: Notice you can jump to anywhere in your crumb trail by right clicking on it

--enable showing file extensions: finder > preferences > advanced > show all filename extensions

--cmd+h, for hiding an app

--cmd+m to minimize and app

--in cmd+tab you can cmd+q to quit apps on the fly

--show desktop: f11

--mission control: f3

--bring back minimized apps using cmd+tab: command tab to the app you want to bring back, release tab key, hold down alt + keep holding down cmd, and then let go of cmd while continuing to hold alt down (tricky), now it will come back

--move files with the mouse: hold down cmd just after starting to drag a file or group of files and drop before letting go of cmd will move the files (little green plus means copying files BTW)

--move files keyboard: cmd+c to copy, cmd+alt+v to move (nb the alt/option key often brings up alternatives in the menus)

--shiftit for working with windows, like win+arrow in win7: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/580418/ShiftIt-1-1.5.zip

--to access the options/preferences of most apps hit CMD+,

-- cmd+q to quit apps. hitting x doesn't kill them, just closes the window

--in finder select a bunch of files and right click to turn them into a folder (the option is in the context menu) (new folder with selection)-- cool!

--install and delete apps: 1) most apps are a dmg file. launch. drag the .app into the applications folder. remember to eject the dmg after! 2) pkg files just install like windows apps. To remove apps use appcleaner.app. it's free.

--install unarchiver from the app store. it's essential

--cmd ` for switching windows within a single program: handy

--turn on firewall in security preferences, and don't worry about virus scanners. if you think you might have downloaded something and want to check it then check out ClamXav (free on app store)

--check out nvAlt for keeping a folder of text notes on dropbox. It's very sweet.

--if you purchase anything on the app store the programs go with you never the machine in case you're curious.

--oh yeah, hitting enter when on a file never opens it (you probably experienced this): use cmd+o

--the best texteditor for the mac is sublime text, also textwrangler is good, but I don't think it's retina compatible. textmate is legendary buy has been usurped by the upstart sublime

--you can easily add or change keyboard shortcuts for most natively written apps using the keyboard preference. I can show you how to do this if you're interested.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.