Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowlypeace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
as a warning to current buyers of iPad 4 or considering;

ipad mini has shown us the future of iPad, apple will most likely be adding a larger but thinner batter in the iPad 5, as in the mini enabling them to make the device much lighter.

It is odds on in my view they will also design switch to the slate black and silver colours, so expect the iPad 5 to be lighter, thinner and come in the new iPad mini colours, and possibly with a slightly thicker rounded edge like the mini (the removal of tapering allowing a larger but thinner battery.

Also expect the iPad 5 to have two speakers for stereo, which will make it much louder and better with bass ( a glaring omission currently)

so these are some things I think are going to happen very soon

ipad 5 will be much lighter, thinner, slightly new design and colours and stereo speakers - this is all probably set up for next year, possibly even first quarter, so warning to current iPad buyers - 3 and 4 will be the last heavy ipads

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say apple's constant march to lighter and thinner products is quite evident.

Just look at the iPad mini, iPhone 5, MacBook Air and rMBP as evidence.

lowlypeace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I think a lot of buyers will be disappointed next year when they see a major redesign and improvement in lightness - so if you have the money saved it may be best to wait

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I think a lot of buyers will be disappointed next year when they see a major redesign and improvement in lightness - so if you have the money saved it may be best to wait
Well, what more can they do it to be honest?

I'm happy with my iPad 4 for now. Apple's always going to update no matter what you buy. :)

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
as a warning to current buyers of iPad 4 or considering;

ipad mini has shown us the future of iPad, apple will most likely be adding a larger but thinner batter in the iPad 5, as in the mini enabling them to make the device much lighter.

It is odds on in my view they will also design switch to the slate black and silver colours, so expect the iPad 5 to be lighter, thinner and come in the new iPad mini colours, and possibly with a slightly thicker rounded edge like the mini (the removal of tapering allowing a larger but thinner battery.

Also expect the iPad 5 to have two speakers for stereo, which will make it much louder and better with bass ( a glaring omission currently)

so these are some things I think are going to happen very soon

ipad 5 will be much lighter, thinner, slightly new design and colours and stereo speakers - this is all probably set up for next year, possibly even first quarter, so warning to current iPad buyers - 3 and 4 will be the last heavy ipads

the battery in the mini is thinner and lighter because it is much much lower capacity. There is no new technology in the battery that allows them to do this, the reason they can do it is because of the normal res screen. If they go retina it would increase the size of the device a huge amount with current IPS screens. The ipad5 will likely be the point at which the whole line switches to IGZO which apparantly will allow them to make the display consume less battery which is the only reason they need to make the ipad thick and heavy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I wouldn't say we'll see a major design, just that it will be thinner and lighter. Apple generally doesn't make major design changes for many years.

lowlypeace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
the battery in the mini is thinner and lighter because it is much much lower capacity. There is no new technology in the battery that allows them to do this, the reason they can do it is because of the normal res screen. If they go retina it would increase the size of the device a huge amount with current IPS screens. The ipad5 will likely be the point at which the whole line switches to IGZO which apparantly will allow them to make the display consume less battery which is the only reason they need to make the ipad thick and heavy

interesting , I don't know about battery technology - but even by removing the tapering and using the whole back of the device for a thinner battery, this would improve weight and possibly not lead to much change in battery performance - but if you are also saying there is now a better technology, then thats even better.

I just see the 3 and 4 as a step back due to weight and thickness and foresee this changing very soon, which could disappoint many current buyers of 4

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
They can only get so light. I'm sure they could save .5 to 1 gram if they filled all the empty space inside with hydrogen (boom!). Assuming the size stays the same, and assuming there are no insanely new developments in power sources (antimatter drives, cold fusion), iPads (as we know them) won't be getting significantly lighter. Maybe a few grams here and there.

lowlypeace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
coupled with a very likely move to the cool slate back and stereo speakers, people may be best holding off till after christmas, although that will be tough

looks to me like apple are trying to shift the iPad 3 shell form, by making this intermediary dock and processor increase, before the real upgrade

now 3 new iPad versions within a year will be hard to stomach for some

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
It will probably drop to in the region of 8.5mm thick and a sub 600g weight.

We'll see though!

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I just see the 3 and 4 as a step back due to weight and thickness and foresee this changing very soon, which could disappoint many current buyers of 4
I also see the retina iPads as a step backwards, which is why I haven't bought one and stuck with my iPad 2. Very happy to have the cellular mini on order.

I'm not so sure we'll see a change in the iPad design too soon, though. It needs to be significantly lighter and a bit thinner, and I'm not sure the technology is yet available for them to do that. Maybe this time next year?

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I big tablet like the ipad will be very fragile if it goes the ipad mini route plus you need to take notice of battery :( they dont push it that hard.

lowlypeace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I wouldn't say we'll see a major design, just that it will be thinner and lighter. Apple generally doesn't make major design changes for many years.

I may be wrong but I think the design move to slate and black and white and silver is a given - and the addition of stereo speakers will be touted as a great new addition (I think they did not mention the mini is the first idevice with 2 speakers is because it would have highlighted the lack of them on the iPad 4)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Even so, you will still get great resell on the 4. The 5 will probably be a full year away and even if I got $250 for the iPad 4 I would be more than satisfied.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
haha, I think Apple is finally showing their cracks, even to the non apple fans and android fanboys.

Even the layman can see the non exciting releases.

Stereo sound! thats only an inch or two apart? whats the point? better sound? ok, thats good, but stereo? thats just stupid. I can understand why apple didn't tout that on the mini. Its pathetic.

the competiton has the nexus 10 out, higher res, lighter, thinner, but better user experience? doubt it.

Everyone covers their iphone's and ipads which add weight and bulk. Covers the extensive R&D that Apple did for the look of their products. Sad, but necessary cus the things are so prone to scratches and wear.

lowlypeace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
haha, I think Apple is finally showing their cracks, even to the non apple fans and android fanboys.

Stereo sound! thats only an inch or two apart? whats the point? better sound? ok, thats good, but stereo? thats just stupid. I can understand why apple didn't tout that on the mini. Its pathetic.

double the speakers, double the volume, or the ability to have a richer sound, better bass - very important on a media device

----------

Im guessing that the iPad 13" will be considered heavy.

I think that would be fantastic - if they find a way to do it light - an 11 or 12 inch ipad

get this;

ipad pro : aluminium bezel 12", running customised osx mountain lion, with iOS switch option - enabled by large thin battery across back of 12" display

now that would be the perfect computing device - optional apple stylus, pressure sensitive stylus for photoshop editing and web design and art work

12 megapixel camera with larger aperture to capture very printable photos

!!!!!!

wow I would probably sell my MacBooks for this - maybe in a few years eh?

seeing the future:::::::::::::

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Now introducing the iPad 16 Mini Micro, in real life thickness!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
double the speakers, double the volume, or the ability to have a richer sound, better bass - very important on a media device

----------

I think that would be fantastic - if they find a way to do it light - an 11 or 12 inch ipad

get this;

ipad pro : aluminium bezel 12", running customised osx mountain lion, with iOS switch option - enabled by large thin battery across back of 12" display

now that would be the perfect computing device - optional apple stylus, pressure sensitive stylus for photoshop editing and web design and art work

12 megapixel camera with larger aperture to capture very printable photos

!!!!!!

wow I would probably sell my MacBooks for this - maybe in a few years eh?

seeing the future:::::::::::::
Impossible. Sorry to break your dream.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
maybe at the moment

Theres no reason why the ipad4 or 5 couldn't have a "pro" option with the same as the windows 8 pro tablet will have. switchable between iosx and ios6. Apple will have a new name and twist to it and patent it and say they invented it and take microsoft to court!!! that would be a battle of the giants.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Theres no reason why the ipad4 or 5 couldn't have a "pro" option with the same as the windows 8 pro tablet will have. switchable between iosx and ios6. Apple will have a new name and twist to it and patent it and say they invented it and take microsoft to court!!! that would be a battle of the giants.
Wow. Youre just looking for any reason to bring up non-Apple products into any Apple discussion.

Its a shame too because you have a good point. The future of OSX and iOS does seem to be heading to enough overlap that it seems an eventual convergence will occur. And if so, a future iPad may exist that will be "heavier" due to it being a significantly more powerful machine not intended for ultra-portability. The Surface looks like a solid direction for MS and even though I know its not popular out here (yet), I'd love to see Apple's take on a hybrid tablet/laptop.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'd say apple's constant march to lighter and thinner products is quite evident.

Just look at the iPad mini, iPhone 5, MacBook Air and rMBP as evidence.

Well it's not that constant. The iPad 3 is thicker & heavier than the 2 & Apple made no improvement in the 4. Certainly it's Apple's desire but cost & availability of appropriate tech takes priority. I wouldn't bank on a lighter iPad 5 -- just hope for it to happen.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
It would be nice to think Apple are working towards bringing new IGZO display technology to the next iPad and a new thinner battery (two iPad Mini batteries could fit inside a full sized iPad!) with A6X or A7 chip, so it can make the iPad just like the Mini.....imagine the sofa in this photo to be small and that the photo of a 9.7inch display iPad 5, but overall thinner, lighter and not as wide ...perfect

Attachments

• ipad-mini-1-1.jpg
    ipad-mini-1-1.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 2,253
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.