Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2011
And there you have it, the Galaxy S line and the Note officially have a legitimate following. What's more impressive to me is, with only 3 generations of phones (GS3), Samsung has leaped to lead the industry with on of the best smartphones on the planet. All the while innovating to create a new class, "The Phablet." Way to teach the industry how to be daring and innovative. So glad they don't do the BS incremental updates that some other companies do to squeeze as much out of the consumer while giving as little as possible. Bravo Sammy, Bravo indeed.

Source GS3 Sales

Source Note2 Sales

Now when the time comes and I upgrade my GS3 to the GS5, I'll actually have a phone that truly has 2 years of real innovation and massive upgrades. Not small profit squeezing upgrades.

Bottom Line:
When it comes to upgrades, 2 Years of Galaxy S Phones > 2 Years of iPhones
The difference between GS3 to GS1 > difference between iP5 to iP4, and to ME that's a BIG DEAL.

Last edited:

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
That's great news.

I'm a long time Apple fan boy that bought a Samsung phone because it's just a better phone period.

Competition is good for all of us regardless of which brands we prefer.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
thats great news indeed, maybe by the time GS5 comes out apple will get their lazy ass up again

however im gonna buy the nexus 4 cuz i dont like the update cycle of the average android phone

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Rofl those are sale numbers to retailers. 2/3 of the phones are still in shelves and warehouses.

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Rofl those are sale numbers to retailers. 2/3 of the phones are still in shelves and warehouses.

If that's the case retailers would not order more. If they don't order more than how can Samsung keep shipping them?

Just think about that for a second.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

Pretty sure this is correct. I love the S3, I have owned two of them in fact but there is no way its SOLD 30 million to actual customers. I walked right into an AT&T store day it went on sale and bought one. The same AT&T store that still has no iPhone 5 for sale and hasnt even filled their orders yet. The S3 is readily available most anywhere its sold and online, no way it has sold that well. Those figures are sales to retailers, not actual customers.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Pretty sure this is correct. I love the S3, I have owned two of them in fact but there is no way its SOLD 30 million to actual customers. I walked right into an AT&T store day it went on sale and bought one. The same AT&T store that still has no iPhone 5 for sale and hasnt even filled their orders yet. The S3 is readily available most anywhere its sold and online, no way it has sold that well. Those figures are sales to retailers, not actual customers.

Yes and im sure your AT&T store represents the whole world :rolleyes: Did you know Android has a near 80% market share in Spain?

I dont know exactly how many they have sold and dont care. I know it has been a lot though.
I do know that you dont keep ordering something that is still sitting on a shelf. I see them all over now.

A co-worker wanted to try mine oout today because he said he was going to get one this month when his contact ends.
BTW, the day it went on sale i had to go to three stores to get the two GS3's i bought(the other two only had the pebble blue) and there was a line of 4 people ahead of me :p

Last edited:

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
Gotta love the blind loyalists and their never ending denial of how a competitive device can sell INSANELY MASSIVE NUMBERS. Specifically the Galaxy S line. So let us not forget, when Apple releases number of devices sold, it is always absolute. And when anyone else, ESPECIALLY SAMSUNG, releases these numbers it's numbers shipped and sitting on shelves. LOL.
You blind loyalist are a sorry bunch without question.

Last edited:

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Glad to see the S3 doing so well, it is truly an amazing device. It seems from this and other news released a few weeks ago that the iPhone 5 release did not slow down the sales of the S3. Competition is good.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Samsung reports wholesale sales to retailers as sales. This accounts for 5-8 million units for a new phone release. Clearly they are selling to individuals as well, but their numbers are not consumer sales. Nothing wrong with that, it just needs to be kept in perspective.

Apple reports only sales to consumers.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Samsung reports wholesale sales to retailers as sales. This accounts for 5-8 million units for a new phone release. Clearly they are selling to individuals as well, but their numbers are not consumer sales. Nothing wrong with that, it just needs to be kept in perspective.

Apple reports only sales to consumers.

So are you saying that there are 22 to 25 million handsets are on the shelf in stores? Not starting an argument, just curious where those figures originate.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
So are you saying that there are 22 to 25 million handsets are on the shelf in stores? Not starting an argument, just curious where those figures originate.

I'm not sure what's not clear here,

I said Samsung reports wholesale sales into their distribution channel as sales.

These are not end user sales.

We have no way to know how many phones resellers have sold to consumers, and how many are sitting on the shelves.

Apple reports end user sales to consumers.

Phones sitting in an Apple dealer are not reported as sold.

Phones sitting on the shelf at a Samsung reseller are reported as sold.

Comparing the sales figures between the two companies does not tell us how many consumers have actually purchased both products, only how many each company has sold.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Someone said the same thing when Samsung reported 5 million, 10 million, 20 million. See a pattern?

Here's the deal: Samsung got rightfully dinged a couple of years ago when the very first tablet end user sales didn't match up. However, those days are past.

Apple reports end user sales to consumers.

No. Apple also reports sales to retailers, not just sales to end users from its own stores.

Twice this year Apple has had to admit in their quarterly calls that sell-through to end users didn't match their reported sell-in to stores.

Earlier this year they explained that a rather large 2.6 million quarterly decrease in iPhone sales was because many were still in store inventories from the previous quarter.

And in the most recent call, Cook partially explained a similiar 3 million drop in iPad sales using the same reason: retailers had bought too many the previous quarter.

When people bring up end user sell-through versus store sell-in, everyone... including Apple... has that problem at times. Samsung does not seem to be experiencing that with the GS3 yet.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Bottom Line:
When it comes to upgrades, 2 Years of Galaxy S Phones > 2 Years of iPhones
The difference between GS3 to GS1 > difference between iP5 to iP4, and to ME that's a BIG DEAL.

I can't believe you just compared a product line who's software went from Gingerbread to JB, to a product line that started on iOS 4... which this is purely software, and responsible for by Google.

Not to mention GS1 doesn't run JB w/o being rooted while iP4 can run iOS 6 fine.

Regardless, those numbers are impressive, honestly most impressive is the Note, considering they would have sold well over 13 million total devices on the Galaxy Note line!

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

Yep, retailers keep ordering more and more phones to pile up in the back room! Clearly they sold almost none.

Does not surprise me, the GS3 is a freaking great phone, hopefully it'll make Apple get off its ass and make a phone thats worth buying.

I dont care about brands, I buy the best. Right now, I think the GS3 is the best phone on the market for my needs, Windows 8 phones are looking incredible, BlackBerry 10 looks very good to, Android is steaming ahead of iOS, so is Windows Phone, even blackberry. Tho they don't sell as much of course.

Eventually, they'll catch up to Apple in the sense that Apple will lose iPhone sales, and lose profit.

I think Apple knows this is already starting to happen, which is why they fired the lead iOS guy. And put Ive in charge.

For me, when I bought my iPhone 3GS, it was the best phone on the market, then I moved to Android, because I think its the best. Windows Phone is looking great to.

Who knows? Maybe the next phone will be a blackberry ;) BB10 looks great.

Apple needs to give me a reason to buy their phone, the iPhone 5 clearly isn't a slightly longer version of exactly the same phone or anything....

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Glad to see the S3 doing so well, it is truly an amazing device. It seems from this and other news released a few weeks ago that the iPhone 5 release did not slow down the sales of the S3. Competition is good.

The ONE thing id like to see the Galaxy line get away from is bowing to the carriers on updated OS releases. They made the GS3 look the same on all carriers so now its time to say FU, we are releasing and update and it wont go thru you before it gets to the people.

Jelly Bean should of been on its way to GS3 owners by now. With the line selling so well, it lets the carriers sell many more devices so they should have some pull on this...i would think anyways. I dont need any BS bloatware from T-Mobile on there. I dont use any of it.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Jelly Bean should of been on its way to GS3 owners by now. With the line selling so well, it lets the carriers sell many more devices so they should have some pull on this...i would think anyways. I dont need any BS bloatware from T-Mobile on there. I dont use any of it.

The S4 and Android 4.3 will be well on its way before you ever see 4.1 on your S3 and you will always be a couple updates behind. What happened to that BS alliance that the carriers and manufacturers agreed to a few years back promising to update their phones quickly? Big reason I got fed up and got an iphone 5

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The S4 and Android 4.3 will be well on its way before you ever see 4.1 on your S3 and you will always be a couple updates behind. What happened to that BS alliance that the carriers and manufacturers agreed to a few years back promising to update their phones quickly? Big reason I got fed up and got an iphone 5

I wouldnt say that. I doubt the S4 comes out in March like speculation says. Probably June.

JB was supposed to come out late Q3 or early Q4 for the GS3. Well it is early Q4 now.

I can always root it and flash a ROM if i want it bad enough.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011

Oh really? And what will you do when the next iOS update comes minus the must have features of the next update. You know? Things like face time over cellular, flyover, turn by turn nav, siri. You know, those things a lot of iphone 4 people weren't too happy about. Oh but at least they got the "Update." Yeah, thanks for comin' out.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Oh really? And what will you do when the next iOS update comes minus the must have features of the next update. You know? Things like face time over cellular, flyover, turn by turn nav, siri. You know, those things a lot of iphone 4 people weren't too happy about. Oh but at least they got the "Update." Yeah, thanks for comin' out.

The iphone 4 is a two year old phone and at least you can still get iOS 6 on it. Try finding a 2 year old Android phone still being updated AT ALL. Hell, there are phones not even ONE years old that wont be seeing Jelly Bean.

----------

JB was supposed to come out late Q3 or early Q4 for the GS3. Well it is early Q4 now.

Its already been pushed to Q1 2013 :rolleyes:

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Its already been pushed to Q1 2013 :rolleyes:
Really?:rolleyes:

I have 4.1.1 on my S3, not rooted or flashed either, it was a OTA update.

Screenshot_2012-11-03-19-02-11.png

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I wouldnt say that. I doubt the S4 comes out in March like speculation says. Probably June.

Blame the US carriers, here in Europe it has been a couple of weeks since they were upgraded

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
The iphone 4 is a two year old phone and at least you can still get iOS 6 on it.

Getting iOS6 without the features just to say you're on iOS6 means very little. From what I've seen, older versions of android still do a lot more than newer versions of iOS.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2011
The iphone 4 is a two year old phone and at least you can still get iOS 6 on it. Try finding a 2 year old Android phone still being updated AT ALL. Hell, there are phones not even ONE years old that wont be seeing Jelly Bean.

Wow, you completely missed his point. Who gives a shlt about an update that doesn't give you all the features that the update boasts. Let's not forget inferior hardware you get from the incremental updates Apple loves to do to squeeze every cent of profit from the consumer. And at the same time tell you that you can't run the new must have features because the new iOS update is too much for the old hardware to run. Like he said, Thanks for coming out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.