Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Mountain Lion is subsidised by hardware sales. Why does everyone expect everything for nothing nowadays?

Because we're too used to being spoon fed instead of working hard. I am just saying that pricing higher than other games on steam for a 6 year old game is asking to be pirated. Not really complaining about the set price much. Talking about the general population of the modernised world.

example: I just bought assassin's creed 1 and 2 for ps3 in a bundle for $13 (brand new)

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I think I may buy this one as a hold-me-over until SimCity comes out in February. :D

Definitely, but I won't be buying this one - $30 is little overpriced, isn't it? Look's like I'll stick with Guild Wars 2 or...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Definitely, but I won't be buying this one - $30 is little overpriced, isn't it? Look's like I'll stick with Guild Wars 2 or...

$30, I know. Thats why I said "I think I may". Not sure yet, but I might. :cool:

If it was cheaper, there probably wouldn't be any hesitation.

SLFGNR8

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
at home
Is it just me or is it a bit weird that Feral site links you to the 2kgames Railroads site that focuses on the PC version "available this October", which in turn the "buy now" link on the "Info" page links to you Steam, at which you can't buy either the PC or MAC version.

I was hoping to see how much it was via Steam compared to how much it was via the Mac App Store.

Steam of course does have RRTycoon 3, but $9.99 for a 9 year old game that only works on XP, sheesh! ;) (JK)

raydaly

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Trailer same as PC Trailer

I'd prefer the trailer showed some actual gameplay instead of an animation of some guy.

This trailer is identical to the PC trailer except for the "credits". You can see the PC video:

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxZero

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
I love this genre

But im not getting this. The only advantage over OpenTTD that this seems to contain is nicer graphics/sound.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
There's no way SimCity will be available on the Mac App Store in February right? I still have most of the $100 gift card I got with my Mac, so it'd be nice to be able to spend it on SimCity. Definitely considering using some of it for Railroads whenever it becomes available.

SLFGNR8

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
at home
Bought it at MacGameStore with their app. Downloaded and installed in minutes. Why wait for the Mac App Store?

Can you install it on multiple machines? That is one of my understandings of the benefits of waiting for Steam or Mac App Store.

Although as I understand with Steam you can only play on one machine at a time, whereas the Mac App Store doesn't care. Or do misunderstand how that works.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Any difference buying direct or through the App Store? Guess the convenience of App Store update notification, etc. would be handy given how buggy the original was....

Lebannen

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2003
Bought this direct from Feral, and have just played for several hours (oh god that went by fast) with no crashes or problems at all. Fans on my two-and-a-bit year old MBP didn't ramp up too much either - big thumbs up from me, well worth the $30.

Great to see this hit the Mac with such a stable port, especially if the original game had crashing probs...

(10.7.5, 15-inch MBP (Mid 2010), 8GB of RAM - good performance on this!)

Lebannen

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2003
Actually, thinking about it, there was one little glitch: on first launch it showed a native settings dialog, on which all the graphics options were on low (including a non-MBP native res). I turned a few up, selected 1440*900, and launched the game... which used low settings and a non-native res. Altering the options in the game worked fine though (and does persist).

SLFGNR8

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
at home
You can install it on 5 Macs with the MacGameStore version.

Thank you do you know if you can run all five at the same time, like I could with an Apple App Store version? I am a family of train enthusiasts and we are interested in playing the multiplayer with each other.

avemestr

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
I was hoping to see how much it was via Steam compared to how much it was via the Mac App Store.

I noticed this as well. The game had an ordinary price of 5 EUR on Steam a few weeks ago, but now the game is all gone from Steam.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Is 3 gig of RAM for a six year old game really considered a modest system requirement?

3GB RAM is nothing these days, I got 32GB RAM in my iMac for less than £110.00. Will see me by for the next good few years at least. Perhaps back in '06 it would have been, but keep in mind if its a port it may need more memory to run smoothly.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Whenever they don't show the actual game, it's pants. RRT1 was great, all the subsequent ones were buggy and tedious, forgoing gameplay for half-hearted attempts at pretty graphics.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
$30 for a six year old game?!? Maybe $5...maybe even $5.99, but you can forget getting my $30.

shameful....

In 2006 USD, it IS $5.99.

Quit whining. You paid $2,000 for you computer but can't afford $30 for a game you (might?) enjoy?

Mountain Lion was $19

Mountain Lion is an update of an already-bad Operating System. Apple stopped making good OSes after Tiger.

And you morons DO realize porting a game from one OS to another instead as simple as hitting the recompile button, right? It takes time and money. Quit whining.

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I've noted a fair amount of complaining about the price of the game in this thread. People don't seem to realize that it costs a lot of money to produce and carefully test a high quality native port to OS X of a game. You cannot compare the price of this to an existing windows version that is six years old. This game is newly ported and it cost a lot of money to do that. Please don't underestimate software engineering tasks you probably aren't qualified to evaluate. I see a lot of that in gaming forums as well. People often believe it is a trivial affair to port a game. It isn't. It isn't trivial to properly test it on a variety of machines, configurations and operating system releases either. All that costs money. Last but certainly not least, Feral Interactive is a business, not a charity - they need to make a decent profit to bring us high quality releases for OS X, otherwise it simply is not worth doing. They've got bills to pay just like the rest of us.

Short version: There is no free lunch. Ports cost more money, particularly of the quality Feral is known for.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
This is great news - loved this series! :)

I loved the Railroad Tycoon games (II in particular), but just a heads-up - this is NOT Railroad Tycoon, far from it. It has fixed maps, poor AI and the PC version crashed left right and center. I'd rather dig out my RRT2 than play this.

----------

Any of the Railroad Tycoon games are a must own in my opinion.

Again, this ISN'T the Railroad Tycoon series.

Lebannen

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2003
I loved the Railroad Tycoon games (II in particular), but just a heads-up - this is NOT Railroad Tycoon, far from it. It has fixed maps, poor AI and the PC version crashed left right and center. I'd rather dig out my RRT2 than play this.
This actually feels closer to the original RRT than many of the others in the series that I've played. But you're right, the map list does look quite short - there are however options in each scenario to randomise the cities and map so you can get some variation if you want it.

(I've had no issues with stability with normal play. I did however just manage to trigger a crash - by trying to install a custom map! I downloaded a custom scenario from http://smrsimple.com/2011/12/northern-germany/ - which seems to include custom cargos as well! - and put it into the folder I found at ~/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/Sid Meier's Railroads/UserMaps/ . The game picked it up and showed it as a custom map with proper description etc, but crashed when loading it. I've read nothing about custom map support but evidently there's something there - has anyone tried this and got it to work? Are there custom map limitations?)

(Edit: found some detail on the support site at http://support.feralinteractive.com/en/mac-games/railroads/faqs/share_maps/ . Maybe simpler maps work fine... I'll try again later, still working on the core scenarios :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.