Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
I am floored by the Mini! I did not expect the screen to be this acceptable. Total non issue in my book when it comes to games.

For me, gaming on the iPhone 5 and below is to difficult on my eyes. However, gaming on the iPad becomes tiresome due to the weight and size. This is the reason I purchased a Vita to fill the gaming urge while on the go.

I predict the Mini will be the death nail in the Vitas already made coffin. Nintendo has the plumber and just enough to keep the 3ds interesting. If that we're a standard style system (Vita, PSP, and old GBA's) Nintendo would have much more to worry about today's launch as well.

Apple should just out the Mini for what it is. Apple gaming system.

Can not freaking wait for the A6 is this baby.

Life's good!

Don't forget to vote

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Mini looks and probably is awesome but I don't think touch gaming and analog control gaming can ever be compared. Day and night. Both have their perks, I suppose but one device in one of the aforementioned categories can never take the place of the other, Imo.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Mini looks and probably is awesome but I don't think touch gaming and analog control gaming can ever be compared. Day and night. Both have their perks, I suppose but one device in one of the aforementioned categories can never take the place of the other, Imo.

That is so true.

The problem is that there are no viable systems out there with direct input worth a darn. The 3ds is it. However, its really hard to wait for those five or so good $40 games per year. Not to mention the mini does so much more for the dollar. $199 for a Vita with expensive and rather poor content or $329 for a total window into the world.

I will be stunned if we don't see some sort of input device from Apple in the next 12-24 months.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
Lets play COD black ops on vita when it comes out. Me on my vita and you on your iPad mini.. Hmm, wonder who would win...

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Lets play COD black ops on vita when it comes out. Me on my vita and you on your iPad mini.. Hmm, wonder who would win...

That game is going to blow chunks. Nihistic screwed up Resistance so badly. MC3 and Nova 3 blow that garbage out of the water.

All early hands on seem to indicate an epic fail for Black Ops on Vita. You may have a point with KillZone.

Little Big Planet and Rayman are about as good as it gets on Vita. They both would easily port over to iOS.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to have a dedicated gaming handheld over touch devices. Unfortunately, iOS has stomped on that party.

mlovergaard

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
New York City
Owning both systems I gotta say there is no way I would chuck the PS Vita and only play games on the Mini, the quality of the games is just so different.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Owning both systems I gotta say there is no way I would chuck the PS Vita and only play games on the Mini, the quality of the games is just so different.

What game are you referring to? I feel the only games on there that are worth my time are fighters. SFxT was the last game I picked up. It's OK, but frame rates and graphics leave a lot to be desired. (Also wish there were six buttons on the main pad, but that's not the Vitas fault)

Madden & FIFA are garbage too. FIFA on iOS is actually a better buy

Again, if the software was up to $40-$50 level, I might not take such a stance. Little Big Planet iPad Uncharted are the only games I own that I don't feel like I was ripped off.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
That game is going to blow chunks. Nihistic screwed up Resistance so badly. MC3 and Nova 3 blow that garbage out of the water.

All early hands on seem to indicate an epic fail for Black Ops on Vita. You may have a point with KillZone.

Little Big Planet and Rayman are about as good as it gets on Vita. They both would easily port over to iOS.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to have a dedicated gaming handheld over touch devices. Unfortunately, iOS has stomped on that party.

It's not about haing the same game availability on a iPad, it's about physical controls..

I would honestly dump my vita in a second if they made a Xbox controller syncable to a IPad..

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The vita is a great device hampered by very disappointing release schedule and third party support since its launch and one that doesn't seem to be improving despite a couple of noticeable games this month and next, but then that seems to be it.

My iPad despite being geared more towards arcadey and puzzle style game experiences, does indeed rack up more gaming hours between the vast array of games available, than my vita ever does despite 'real controls, or 'big named full on gaming experiences'....

The Vita is in a dodgy place right now. With a dire E3 showing this year, (everyone was gunning for a stack of new titles to be announced, only to be disappointed) and by next year mobile handsets and tablet will feature better hardware (the ipad 4 already has a better GPU than the Vita), and with undoubtably E3 2013 focusing on PS4/Orbis and Xbox720 announcements and hype, I'm wondering if the Vita will ever capture a decent audience or the developer support needed to sustain that audience.

I have a sad feeling this will be the last 'dedicated GAMING handheld' Sony will make.

I'm considering trading in my Vita & games at the end of the month to put towards the WiiU as I just don't see it getting utilised any further than it already is, and that's minimal at best.

Last edited:

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
It's not about haing the same game availability on a iPad, it's about physical controls..

I would honestly dump my vita in a second if they made a Xbox controller syncable to a IPad..

Yupp life would be great if they could do this, or at least make a controller compatible with all games.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The Vita will go the way of the PSP Go. It's sad really as it's a nice device, I own one. Visually some of the games are off the charts and it's nice to have physical controls.

Unfortunately Sony ignored the impact of iOS and Android. They released the Vita and priced it as if iOS and Android did not exist, $100 for a 32GB memory card...please. :p

I had read a sales report that as of August, Sony has only sold 2.2 million units worldwide. And what's scarier than that you don't know if that's consumer or retailer sales. Games are priced way too high.

I can buy an iPad and game for free. I have never purchased a game or will never as there is a plethora of free stuff everyday. I have bought more Android apps because I wait for the 25c Google deals. So the question is, how in the hell is Sony and Nintendo going to compete against that?

The PSP when it was first released in 2005 was a jack of all trades device. The PSP Vita takes it a step further but the software is badly implemented to take the device seriously.

I can easily surf the web, play games, use productive apps, use maps on either the iPad or and Android device. Sony has been losing money on all of their launched hardware devices. Nintendo for the first time began to lose money on the 3DS and the Wii U is sold at a loss.

I can't see how the Vita will fair against mobile gaming. Hell I remember back in 2002, reading how Electronic Arts said that mobile games specifically on phones was going to be huge. Back then the games were basic but the iPhone changed the game and the iPad piled on.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Maven, I see what you mean. As a pretty dedicated gamer I always have every device released and it so happens that vita is my favorite handheld. Do I love my 3ds? Omg yes! But yeah lbp is good; for me it's disgaea, hot shots golf, nfs mw, sfxt, and mgs when I'm out and about these days (no lack of games for this guy).

I rarely think about the business future of a device if what it offers right now is what I like. Though I can't wait for persona and sly! But yeah ipads may be provide games but for me touching a screen just isn't the same. The games I play on my ipad are usually puzzle centric or anything non twitch; even the best on screen dpads feel funny.

And hahaha nihilistic may indeed foil black ops. I'm so bored of cod games anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.