Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I understand its still day 1, and that people won't know their battery situations for a few days, but I wanted to at least start a thread so people can discuss what they are seeing.

I haven't updated yet because I have never had more amazing battery life on my phone, I average about 10 hours of usage and 30 hours of standby with moderate usage. My iPhone 4S was barely 5 hrs usage and 10 hrs standby, so I am hesitant to update just yet.

Basically I average about 1 hour usage per 10 percent battery burned.

So when you start getting a feel for the battery life in 6.01, feel free to share, I am sure I am not the only one who is waiting to update...Thanks.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
More power hungry phone and features but basically same size battery. Our only true fix to this problem is a mophie or similar. If there was a known battery draining bug in iOS they would have patched in the update. Oh well..it is what it is.

For the size of the battery they did a good job. They better get smart and upsize the battery next year though.

max pl

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
i'll report back in a few days.

first thing 6.0 screwed up was idle charge over night after a 100% charge. i could wake up with 5.0 and still have 100% showing, and be able to use it for a while before it dropped to 99%

with ios 6.0 i'd wake up with anywhere from 95 to 99%, and going idle overnight from say 50% would drop me to 35% or less; so thats something i also have to look for...

battery life is the only thing thats annoyed me with 6.0, well that and the crashing apps left and right.

max pl

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
yup. i did that the first time.

perhaps i'll do it again with 6.0.1 but these updates that bork functions are annoying as heck. it really does just make me want to upgrade my phone, and in doing so, i sure as heck dont want to go with apple again due to their screw up.

they did the same thing with my 3GS and the poor updates there...

Opus00

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I noticed my battery life has improved. Normally by this time at night, I would be down to less than 50%. Right now, I'm still sitting at 70%.

Same amount of activities. Check emails, Facebook, flipboard. I don't play games or music on the iPhone 5 but I definitely see an improvement since updating to 6.0.1

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
It's murdering my battery. I completely drained the phone in under 4 hours this morning with normal use (I usually go all day with the same usage or more). Reset the network settings this evening. Waiting for it to charge to see if that helps. I had the same issue with my iPhone 4 after an iOS update and it worked then.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
I had a good battery life with iOS 6 now with ios 6.0.1 is even better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 338

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I am very happy with it and all on LTE ... Lots of calls, nessaging, push iCloud, whatsapp, Facebook , safari , YouTube

IMAGE_AB507783-914D-4748-B679-C703C2690CDF.PNG

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I decided to update, so far I am 3 hrs usage, 12 hours standby and I have 72 percent left. Seems to be the same, if not slightly better than previous.

I am happy and surprised at the same time. I love getting 10 hours of usage our of my phone

Electa

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
http://i.imgur.com/bOV92.jpg

Pretty good battery life if I do say so myself.

MrKambo

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
I'm impressed with the battery after this update, it wasn't too terrible before, but an extra 3 hours doesn't hurt

This was my light usage day, I've yet to have a heavy day work isn't busy on Fridays so don't use the phone much

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 128

mcfly88

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Is there any way to roll back to 6.0.. because this is just ridiculous. theres not reason my battery should be this low already.
9rot9x.png

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Is there any way to roll back to 6.0.. because this is just ridiculous. theres not reason my battery should be this low already.

Do a clean restore with iTunes. Don't install your old backup after restoring. Set it up as a new phone.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I think we shouldn't have to do any restore etc with updates. Apple philosophy of things should just work is crap now. My post 6.01 update did wonders for battery life at home with wifi but on lte was bad!!! Went from 98% to 73% in 3 hrs and I wasn't even doing much

The world of apple is changing n don't think its premium is going to save it with quality issues like this

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
How the hell can people get these awesome battery lifes???

My iPhone 4S is 1 year old now and when i first installed iOS 6 battery got better but than took a dive for the worse. Now i get 13 hours of total tops with 6-7 hours of usage and 90% of that usage is whatsapp.

Is it the problem of whatsapp? I need to get at least 18-19 before hitting 10% with 8-9 hours of usage to get through a day. This isn't heavy usage either. I even turn 3G off when i'm in college campus since there aren't any 3G receptions. so half of that time 3G isn't even on.

location services and all are also under control. what's the problem?

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I would suggest for anyone having problems with battery who didn't set there phone up as new to restore as new. And keep your brightness at least less than half way. My battery life is a lot better after the restore

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
I would suggest for anyone having problems with battery who didn't set there phone up as new to restore as new. And keep your brightness at least less than half way. My battery life is a lot better after the restore

Sliding the brightness to about 30% dramatically improved the battery life for me. You get used to the duller display after a bit. It shouldn't be this way, but it is a solution that is a work-around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.