Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
There is no native YouTube app for iOS 6, which the iPad Mini runs.

It says that it's compatible with iPad. I don't know if that implies iPad mini or not, but I'm pretty sure that it does because I can't find any apps that specifically say "iPad mini".

Also, there are some other native YouTube apps not made by Google:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/11/02/how-to-get-youtube-back-on-the-ipad-mini/

----------

That song is a bit overused, however, that is a great ad.

Even during the keynote it got huge applause...both cause its great, and because some recent ads have gotten criticism, and this one seems to nestle in there with the better ones.

Well, most announcements at keynotes get big applause. You're talking about a crowd of people who follow the Apple CEO around. Cheering for Apple is what they do.

But it was pretty funny when they booed Steve Jobs because he announced that Internet Explorer would come with all Macs. They also booed a webcam cast of Bill Gates.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Finally!!!

An ad even SJ would approve of....a simple (mostly white :rolleyes:) little ad without any funky hair/clothes "hipsters". I like it!!!

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Really ? You know anyone who bumped there S3 to share anything after the first week? It is only slightly better than the bump app that has been on the iPhone for 4 years. No one used that more than a week after downloading it either.

What Im trying to say is that the samsung ads were desperation.

Im not sure you understand what I meant. I said that the samsung ads were the worst. S beam is just android beam that has been rebranded, hyped, and crippled to only work in samsung phones.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
As a former Ad/Marketing guy, I had to weigh in since you brought up the SIII ads. The Samsung ads are funny, but have a fatal flaw. They highlight how "in demand" their competitors product(s) are. There are better ways to differentiate than showing people lining up with fervor to buy a rival product.

Epic fail in terms of Advertising 101.

You'd never know it from their smartphone sales dominance. But if what you say is true, then I suppose Samsung would have even a more massive sales lead over Apple had the ad been different?

Last edited:

waqas

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Chicago
I like the way it's played. If someone can make this tone on piano this way or post a similar sound for this song, I'd be obliged. I can't find a better version online.

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Then why advertise? If someone knows what an iPad is, I'm pretty sure that someone is familiar with apps. And apps means a lot of things. Including digital piano.

That means that this video is targeted to people who doesn't know what an iPad is. And with the video, I'd think that it's a digital piano.

Good work advertising, Apple. Instead of showing the key features of the iPad, making it look like a digital piano is more important. The digital piano isn't even a built in app.

I remember at school trying to explain to a classmate how to balance a particular equation. After half an hour I learned a lesson - there are some people who just don't get it - no amount of explanation can make them understand.

Brilliant and clever ad by the way.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
This is Apple at it's best...sophistication through simplicity. More of this please!

Nothing sophisticated or simple about it, more like bland if that is the word you are looking for.

Original iPod ad was and still is a cultural phenomenon and those things come when people are fighting for the break trough and existance. Once you become a fatcat of a company you get commercial like this. The worst thing is they probably paid gazillion$ for it.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Nothing sophisticated or simple about it, more like bland if that is the word you are looking for.

Original iPod ad was and still is a cultural phenomenon and those things come when people are fighting for the break trough and existance. Once you become a fatcat of a company you get commercial like this. The worst thing is they probably paid gazillion$ for it.

So basically what you're saying is that it needs more Jeff Goldblum?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWqj6OQQOHA&list=PL480830190B2E72D6&index=3&feature=plpp_video

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
1) It evokes your memory of learning that song when you were young. Sentimentality in abundance.

2) It makes you think of your children should they be human rather than a stack of old Apple hardware.

3) The iPad Mini has the "Heart and Soul" of its bigger sister.

pwnage.

I think you mixed up few things here. What you are saying here is what ad agency says to their clients in order to justfy the ad and the check. You have to sell your art just like any other painter that has some bs sotry behind their painting. That is what sells and justifies the funds well spent.

80% of actual iPad mini buyers will just see that they can play piano on their iPads. You would be surprised how many of them don't know there is piano app out there hidden behind the filth of thousands of fart apps. No one is going to think about their children or memories when they were playing synths or piano in school. Really.

----------

Oh come one no one remember that, pretty much how nobody will remember this "best ever" iPad mini ad. But hey Jeff did the dance so it was the start :)

----------

Advertising isn't primarily about showing you what a product does. The goals of advertising, I'm sure there are more than this, are:

To raise awareness of the brand and/ or product
Provoke an emotional response
And in a limited fashion give some idea of what the product is.

Example: you'll never see an alcoholic product showing someone stumbling over drunk. Instead you'll be shown images of fun, hot women, or what ever other type if emotion the advertising company think will provoke you into acting and buying the product.

I personally didn't like the advert, but then again I have no interest in playing musical instruments. Bottom line it didn't provoke any type of emotional response from me. But it's blatantly obvious to see that the advertisement was a success by how many people on here love this advert and responded in an emotional way

Very rarely is an advertisement about showing you what a product does.

Nice one.

I would just add one more thing: easiest money laundering ever.

tokevino

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
Nice one.

I would just add one more thing: easiest money laundering ever.

It pretty much shows you have no idea how advertising and communication *really* works. Care to take some marketing survey-level classes before you go on commenting?

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle

Great so then tell us what would your idea of a commercial be. Since you can do it so much better #

tokevino

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
It says that it's compatible with iPad. I don't know if that implies iPad mini or not, but I'm pretty sure that it does because I can't find any apps that specifically say "iPad mini".

Also, there are some other native YouTube apps not made by Google:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/11/02/how-to-get-youtube-back-on-the-ipad-mini/

I think there is a cross-up here about the term "native app". Your tern of "native app" meant "application run natively on iOS devices" while others used the same term referring to "first party application pre-installed with iOS."
Well, most announcements at keynotes get big applause. You're talking about a crowd of people who follow the Apple CEO around. Cheering for Apple is what they do.

Not so true. Pay close attention, you will notice the applause for this particular ads was exceptionally warmer.
But it was pretty funny when they booed Steve Jobs because he announced that Internet Explorer would come with all Macs. They also booed a webcam cast of Bill Gates.
So people moved on anyway since 1997; perhaps you should too?

tokevino

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
No, the point is that she doesn't know how technology works. This was before the iPad came out, BTW.

Yet, she demonstrated she knew how a touch screen device worked. In this case, I have to guess it was the iPhone she knew how to operate since you ruled out the iPad.

The bottom line is your example disproved your own point.

If anything it shows the not so tech-savvy population adapts to or recognizes or is able to play with Apple's touch screen (iOS) devices rather well.

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Good work advertising, Apple. Instead of showing the key features of the iPad, making it look like a digital piano is more important. The digital piano isn't even a built in app.

I suppose you have a point in that people with an autism spectrum disorder will think the iPad is a digital piano.

tokevino

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
Wrong. Even the higher notes are played a full step higher which aren't shown

The higher notes seem fine. I think what you heard was the effect of the added chords from the regular-size iPad(s) in conjunction.

I played the real piano for a few years, but I could be wrong.

What I saw and heard was the iPad Mini's portion of the notes are just "as is" while there are potentially additional devices/equipment/a real piano/another iPad providing the added chords at the very later part of the song.

vaper

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2006
Great ad. I haven't read all of the posts in this tread, so excuse me if this has already been pointed out: in addition to showing the smaller iPad, it's also saying that it, in essence, has the heart and soul of the larger iPad.

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
I think Apple will have to up the ante next year. Nexus 10 already has 300ppi screen ... so they will need to make the full size ipad better than that atleast if they want to call the ipad the best ever screen on a tablet ever ....... maybe call it super retina or something and then have ipad mini with regular retina display ..

tokevino

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
You'd never know it from their smartphone sales dominance. But if what you say is true, then I suppose Samsung would have even a more massive sales lead over Apple had the ad been different?

May very well be IMO.

Also, keep in mind units sold also have a lot to do with factors in addition to advertising, namely, price, inventory availability, even the sales person's personal preference, etc. etc. etc.

When Samsung sold that many units and still behind on revenue, I cannot help but have the thought that "Samsung must really be a cheap products producer in general." In reality it may not be all true, but it certainly gives that impression in a rather strong way.

The S3 ads will at lease remind some buyers to "also check out the iPhone" before digging into the bank account.

----------

----------

I think Apple will have to up the ante next year. Nexus 10 already has 300ppi screen ... so they will need to make the full size ipad better than that atleast if they want to call the ipad the best ever screen on a tablet ever ....... maybe call it super retina or something and then have ipad mini with regular retina display ..

That might be true, but Google probably doesn't want you to know too much about what GPU drives the Nexus 10, especially considering the GPU Apple puts into the 4th gen iPad...

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Oh jeez, even these tech nerds lingering on internet forums doesn't get it?

This ad means that iPad mini can do exactly what an iPad bigi can do.

no, according to ad you can use only one finger on ipad mini, genius.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.