Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Hey I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase the My Passport Edge for Mac under $100 or an external drive similar to it for under $100. I've already tried ebay and I don't use amazon.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Hey I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase the My Passport Edge for Mac under $100 or an external drive similar to it for under $100. I've already tried ebay and I don't use amazon.

Thanks

You can get it from the WD online store for $94.99 if you use the checkout discount code WDCARES. That is the price before tax, but hopefully it is useful to you if you can't find it anywhere else. I bought one of these to use with my MBA and I really like it, very portable drive. Good luck!

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
You can get it from the WD online store for $94.99 if you use the checkout discount code WDCARES. That is the price before tax, but hopefully it is useful to you if you can't find it anywhere else. I bought one of these to use with my MBA and I really like it, very portable drive. Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah it looks to be the one of the best drives out there if I'm not mistaken.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Isn't the standard My Passport 2TB USB3 drive more cost effective then the My Passport Edge 1TB drive?!

My Passport edge 500GB is around £100
My passport 2TB is around £180

Is go for the 2TB if you can save a little more?
The edge drive does look pretty sleek though ;)

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
do these actually operate at USB 3.0 speeds and not 2.0? I need one around 2 or 3TB but not sure what to buy. Currently have a 1TB Seagate with Firewire but want something abit quicker.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
They should do, yes.
I just picked up an external caddy and stuck the HDD from my MBP into it. Certainly get USB speeds through that!
I haven't tested the passport drives but they should be noticably nippier.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
They should do, yes.
I just picked up an external caddy and stuck the HDD from my MBP into it. Certainly get USB speeds through that!

Where is the best place to buy a caddy? Not for Mac. Just a regular HDD for PC. Because, I have about 6 hard drives that I have wiped and I could easily use them as external hard drives for my Mac after formatting them(I think).

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
They should do, yes.

haha just realised who you were, been watching your vids for awhile now :)

macuser1232, you can pick up loads on ebay, just make sure they can take your hard drives you have.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Where is the best place to buy a caddy? Not for Mac. Just a regular HDD for PC. Because, I have about 6 hard drives that I have wiped and I could easily use them as external hard drives for my Mac after formatting them(I think).

I purchased an 'Icy Box' from Amazon. Cost very little, but I get full USB3 speeds through it. I actually tested the HDD speed before I removed it from my MacBook, then tested the speed in the caddy, and got exactly the same - hence the bottleneck is the actual speed of the drive itself, rather then the interface.

haha just realised who you were, been watching your vids for awhile now :)

macuser1232, you can pick up loads on ebay, just make sure they can take your hard drives you have.

Lol, cheers ;)
Got a few more coming up this week...... ;)

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Lol, cheers ;)
Got a few more coming up this week...... ;)

Nice one :)

Im looking at a WD Portable 2TB drive, would a non mac formatted version give me USB 3.0 speeds as they seem to be about £30 cheaper than a mac version :confused:

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Nice one :)

Im looking at a WD Portable 2TB drive, would a non mac formatted version give me USB 3.0 speeds as they seem to be about £30 cheaper than a mac version :confused:

File transfer speed is based on the connecting interface and the drive speed itself. Go for the cheaper version (as long as its still USB3) and then simply reformat it for MAC once you receive it ;)

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
File transfer speed is based on the connecting interface and the drive speed itself. Go for the cheaper version (as long as its still USB3) and then simply reformat it for MAC once you receive it ;)

Does my drive have to be USB 3 compatible or just the caddy?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Does my drive have to be USB 3 compatible or just the caddy?

Just the caddy.
Think of USB3 just being the pipe between the drive and your computer - a bigger pipe to allow more data to go through at any one time. The drive will just go as fast as it can to feed or retrieve that data.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Just the caddy.
Think of USB3 just being the pipe between the drive and your computer - a bigger pipe to allow more data to go through at any one time. The drive will just go as fast as it can to feed or retrieve that data.

Oh ok. So I'm assuming a caddy with usb 3.0 will be more expensive? And I hope they make caddies with both usb 2.0 and 3.0. Where's a good place to buy these? I'll go check out my external hard drives and find out the size of them.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Well turns out the hard drives I have are only 40gb. I want to sell them but my only option is ebay probably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.