Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have iPhone 5, 2011 MBA 13", iPad 3 (took a lot of swaps to get one with a non-obvious flawed screen, and it's jailbroken) but I'll be playing with a family member's iPad mini for the weekend whenever it comes in the mail as of today.

Had no intentions of purchasing a mini, especially knowing that I'll likely get a free Nexus 7 as a handmedown soon, but this weekend I will give it a test drive.

I would suspect, despite it not having retina, it's going to look like a nice screen. iPad 2 resolution shrunken down is nice, and in the store honestly sometimes I can't tell which is retina and which isn't, but up close my eyes discern immediately. So it will be something nice to look forward to in future generations, and nobody can deny that.

iPad 9.7" is perfect for viewing movies and that I do a lot with XBMC. iPad 7 will probably just be nice if you want to grab a tablet and head out the door.

We'll see though :D excited to fidget with it. Is the iPhone 5 hype now gone because of this and the very mellow announcement of iPad 4?

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
I have iPhone 5, 2011 MBA 13", iPad 3 (took a lot of swaps to get one with a non-obvious flawed screen, and it's jailbroken) but I'll be playing with a family member's iPad mini for the weekend whenever it comes in the mail as of today.

Had no intentions of purchasing a mini, especially knowing that I'll likely get a free Nexus 7 as a handmedown soon, but this weekend I will give it a test drive.

I would suspect, despite it not having retina, it's going to look like a nice screen. iPad 2 resolution shrunken down is nice, and in the store honestly sometimes I can't tell which is retina and which isn't, but up close my eyes discern immediately. So it will be something nice to look forward to in future generations, and nobody can deny that.

iPad 9.7" is perfect for viewing movies and that I do a lot with XBMC. iPad 7 will probably just be nice if you want to grab a tablet and head out the door.

We'll see though :D excited to fidget with it. Is the iPhone 5 hype now gone because of this and the very mellow announcement of iPad 4?

Yep got both Ipad 3 and Ipad Mini now

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
And you intend on keeping both of them in rotation for the foreseeable future, speak now or forever hold your peace? hah

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Not yet, but in an hour or so I should.

I have an iPhone 5, iPad 3 and a MBA 13". Once I get playing with the Mini it will determine if the iPad 3 stays in the rotation or not. I can see not wanting/needing a 9.7" tablet with the MBA as the fallback device when I want more screen space and a real keyboard.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Not yet, but in an hour or so I should.

I have an iPhone 5, iPad 3 and a MBA 13". Once I get playing with the Mini it will determine if the iPad 3 stays in the rotation or not. I can see not wanting/needing a 9.7" tablet with the MBA as the fallback device when I want more screen space and a real keyboard.

If it weren't for watching a lot of movies, I might be tempted into the same line of reasoning. But that alone makes my iPad3 feel pretty valuable.

nataliamck

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
If it weren't for watching a lot of movies, I might be tempted into the same line of reasoning. But that alone makes my iPad3 feel pretty valuable.

I'm exactly the same. 64GB iPad 3 loaded with movies/tv shows/music videos.

I don't have wifi everywhere I go to stream and also I like to have it with me for long haul flights. So I will definitely need the bigger screen for this but will love with smaller, lighter Mini for general browsing :D

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I have iPad 1 and iPad mini coming tomorrow i got the one off john lewis with a 2 years warranty i didn't want to buy one off apple and get only one year warranty when i could get two years warranty for free i though i might as well wait and get the better warranty.I'am going to use the iPad 1 just purely for using for video because i watch a lot of Tv Series & Films and watching TV too so my iPad 1 will be perfect for something like that hopefully next year we should see a bigger screen in the iPad 5 so i'am going to upgrade my 9'7 iPad too take the advantage of the bigger screen fingers crossed we should see a bigger screen.I just didn't see the point upgrading to retina thats they only why i have kept my iPad 1 because they haven't done a bigger screen.

alflavor

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2010
Whittlesey, UK
I will own both when my white 32gb is here on 15th Nov.... so long to wait!!

But, my wife will probably have the iPad2, and I'll use the mini as I stay away with work 2-3 nights a week!

Joey51

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Sending 3 down da road

Just got my mini and love it
Weight ,looks,screen etc
I use i phone 5,air mac and this mini is great- hold one for 5 min and pic the 3 back up-you will see

No buyer remorse here-and screen is great,no screen bleed or yellow
I went thru the same thing as you with my 2 and 3
Good to get a first run quality product
Mini is a keeper

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Have both iPad 3 and now iPad mini. The form factor of the mini just blows me away. The screen is fine, I'm utterly amazed by the whining on this forum. I'm going to move to the mini for me and I'll give the iPad 3 to my son who has an art degree and wants to use it for creating drawings.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Just upgraded my iPad 1 for the 4 and my wife sold her iPad 2 and got the mini. I love the display on the 4 and the style, form and weight of the mini. We are very happy with both...a great upgrade!

Jnava420

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Lincoln, NE
Got myself a 4 and my gf the mini.....I can't seem to put down the mini tho must be because its physically new I had a 3rd gen so the 4 wasn't much of an upgrade my gf thinks I'm gonna take over her mini ha

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The iPad & iPad mini are a good combination for those who like myself, want portability for mobility in a 7" form factor, and the larger display for it's obvious advantages.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I'll give the iPad 3 to my son who has an art degree and wants to use it for creating drawings.

To create creative drawings or to display them?

If the former, what's a good app for that?

OT but I'm the OP so I won't get angry :D

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I just grabbed a white 16gb mini wifi at best buy, last one!

Now to get rid of my Nexus 7.

And hopefully be happy with both a 7.9 and 9.7 iPad (have the iPad 3 also).

I think I will still find uses for my regular iPad, namely movie viewing on XBMC.

But they both seem to have their advantages.

And the screen on mine is better and crisper than the other mini I used launch weekend, probably because there's a few different display manufacturers out there and then calibration differences on top of it

Last edited:

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I have an iPad 4 & just got the Mini. Both have cellular :). I intend on carrying the Mini with me in my purse but will use the bigger iPad when I'm home. The Mini will allow me to surf more easily when I'm out & about (old eyes) but I'll want the bigger screen when I'm home or someplace where I'll be sitting for awhile.

OT2000

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
California
I had both, but returned the Mini after 10 days with it. Nice device, love the light weight and form factor, feel but it was too small for my eyes.

Made me realize why I liked the iPad 3 so much. I open a web page ...bam, there is the whole page, very little zooming needed.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I still have my old iPad 1 and the mini. I thought that I would really only use the mini when i was out, and use the 9.7 inch around the home. I never use the original iPad now. I haven't watched a movie on the mini yet. I suspect that may be the last chance so the original iPad to rescue itself from obscurity. Otherwise its just going to be the iPad that my guest use.

THiPad

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2010
I have iPad 2, and always hesitated about carrying it in my purse due to its size.
I use it everyday, and love it!!!

So, when the MINI was up for preorder I bought it without hesitation.
32GB, cellular.

It arrived yesterday, and it is perfect!! Spent last night seamlessly syncing
via iCloud between, iPad2, the Mini, and my iPhone4.

Reading is not a bother, but I do wear reading glasses also !!

I love SIRI, sooo cool, especially for dictating messages and emails!!!

So far, I'm very pleased with my MINI and will take it everywhere!!!

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Yep have an iPad 2 -64gb and just bought a mini. Also have a MBA and iPhone 5.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yep have an iPad 2 -64gb and just bought a mini. Also have a MBA and iPhone 5.

This is pretty much my lineup except iPad 3 16gb.

I feel slightly decadent with two iPads, I will admit. But I want to give the mini a whirl for 3-4 weeks to make an informed decision if I vote one pad off the island without acting merely on initial reactions (it really is a toss up) and perhaps novelty bias.

Plus they each almost are satisfying enough on their own but not quite.

iPad is great if you're keeping it in same spot, that retina is fantastic and the extra screen is nice for videos and such.

But the mini form factor. I will definitely carry it more for locally going around like coffee shops, nerdy friends' houses occasionally, etc

When I fly out-of-state, I could still see myself taking both or maybe one or the other but iPad3 JB is almost necessary with XBMC and sd cards while in the sky. And movies are much more satisfing on that retina. But the mini I can wield in the air in bed and not get tired/drained (besides natural sleepiness during the wee hours). The ipad3 in portrait on my stomach is sort of painful. In the stand case its fine though because the weight is dispersed and not so edged. Maybe I can watch movies on one while surfing on the other or use one while the other is completely drained -- I know, the definition of decadence and certainly "first world problems."

Also, I went through wayyyyy too many iPad3's to sell it (for good price or less), regret it, then have to hunt down a good screen ipad 3 (near impossible) without multiple hues/isolated pink bleed thats ALSO on 5.1.1 for jailbreak, or pay the upgrade tax and get the iPad 4 without being too excited and wait it out for jailbreak which would make my fullsize pad only half as useful since its a movie watching machine.

Arghhhhhhhh dang you apple. I think if mini had retina and JB, it would be an easy decision despite it feeling slightly cramped in certain situations when going back and forth between the two.

People who have both full size and mini, (and had mini since launch or sometime thereabouts; I just bought one yesterday) have you made your decision yet on which to keep if not both?

What sweetens the deal quite a lot is I got my iPad3 open box from Best Buy at a good discount from retail like a month or two after its release where the original owner just wanted different GB size (gave up for a while on getting a good screen iPad3 because it seemed futile and a waste of my time/gas, then I preferred looking at the open box one so I could see if the screen was alright or not before committing to purchase it, compared two open boxes and said I wanted to pick "The one in better condition" :D) and my iPad mini for cheaper since I had $50 AmEx-BestBuy cash back promo for unlocking a level in Halo 4 (silly I know, but hey, I'll see a $50 credit in 8 weeks) and reward zone bucks laying around.

$704 was the total I paid for the two pads not inc. tax, both of which are more than satisfying (never craved LTE radio or higher storage, music goes on my phone) aint bad at all if I decide to take the "over-priveleged route."

I really feel I earned that good screen iPad3 as a diamond in the rough... it was a long journey

EDIT: I guess I'm not the only one at least considering keeping both. Still, wow, wasn't expecting 75% to agree in the survey in this article.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...ini-buyers-75-keeping-their-existing-ipad-too

Last edited:

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I got a 4 and a mini plus 2 5's and I don't know if I need them both but I enjoy it. My mini goes everywhere, my 4 is what I'm on when I'm at home. My mini is Verizon so is perfect and small to take everywhere. My wife keeps asking"do you really need both?"? Probably not but I enjoy it! ;) bottom line is they both hav their advantages!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.