Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
You don't have to be a genius to see where the market is going. Phones are increasing in size while tablets are decreasing. These two are going to converge at the 5" mark. iphone5 and the ipad mini are the biggest examples of this trend.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Honestly if you want a bigger phone why not get one. There are plenty out there to chose from.

Have you ever thought some of us may want a Apple phone that is 4.5"> If the ip5 had a 4.5"> screen i would have stayed with Apple, i think Apple need to cater for both markets, a bit like the normal ipad and the ipad mini.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The funny thing is, one of the first things I thought to myself when I played with the mini for the first time, "I wish this could double as a phone." I have no problems using earphones or a Bluetooth solution. And it would eliminate the need to carry two devices. Frankly, aside from corporate profit-driven reasons, there is no reason Apple couldn't enable phone capabilities in the mini. No one is forced to use them, but they're there if you want them.

I agree that the market for smartphones will "settle" somewhere above 4". I think the whole easy one handed use thing is primarily marketing driven. Plenty of people get along just fine with 4.5 and 4.8" phones. They love that size in fact.

DanBurns91

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
West Midlands, England
So I got my iPad Mini and after just a few hours use then I'm fully convinced that we need an option for a bigger iPhone!!!! Im not saying replace the current size, but give an option for a 4.3-5" screen for those of us who recognize the benefits of a bigger screen.

The things most dramatically improved for me is typing and reading (which are the things I do most on a smartphone).
Typing: Bigger keys means less typos so I'm able to punch out emails without constantly doing corrections.

Reading: My reading workflow usually involve a lot of rotating and zooming to find an optimal reading size so a bigger screen naturally addresses that issue.

Music/Video: The big excuse for mono speakers in iPhones has always been size. The Mini is big enough to house stereo speakers which I feel does improve the media experience quite a bit.

Phone Use: Even though its easy to make fun of people who use gigantic phones, I held my Mini up to my ear and due to the weight then it didnt "feel" as silly as it looks so I'd easily get over it.

I know the big selling point of the 3.5/4" screen is one-handed use but with Siri and the fact that I dont text-and-drive then I dont find many situations in which I MUST type with one hand. So the iPad Mini has convinced me that a bigger iPhone would work out fine. (Just as long as they keep the smaller ones for those who want it)

You've bought the mini, enjoy the bigger screen for what you mentioned and use the iPhone for what its meant to be used for. Thats why there Apple create other products, they have different benefits.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
5" phablets are the future. Why delay the inevitable?.

Wow you must have a Delorean since you've been to the future!

Anyways WE don't know if phablets are the future. So far to date there has only been one which is the galaxy note and the sales of the note compared to the iphone are mere pennies.

Just because competition does something isn't an indicator to follow. It's an indication to do something Better.

Keep in mind that people swore up and down 3D phones were going to take off and they never did

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Which part? Ive not met one person that can actually surf the web efficiently with the ip5 screen, not one....I own a ip4 and the only sites a can go on are very simple mobile sites and even they are not great.

Funny that we were for years before all these monster sized phones starting coming out.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
You may.

I do not.

Therefor "we" do not.

Very good response. In essence, everyone has different taste & preferences. Some people may like the 4" display, some people may want a bigger one. At the end of the day, Apple will NOT be able to create a phone that satisfies EVERYONE. And since the sales of the iPhone 5 has been & still is strong, it shows that many people do appreciate the 4" display. It's only the first time they increased the screen size since the original, give them a break. Humans can never be satisfied with what they get, seriously.

----------

Wow you must have a Delorean since you've been to the future!

Anyways WE don't know if phablets are the future. So far to date there has only been one which is the galaxy note and the sales of the note compared to the iphone are mere pennies.

Just because competition does something isn't an indicator to follow. It's an indication to do something Better.

Keep in mind that people swore up and down 3D phones were going to take off and they never did

Like the part about "indication to do Better". I think it's a great goal for any company that wants to succeed.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
You don't have to be a genius to see where the market is going. Phones are increasing in size while tablets are decreasing. These two are going to converge at the 5" mark. iphone5 and the ipad mini are the biggest examples of this trend.

You failed to understand that Apple is Apple, and they have stated (By Tim Cook no less) that they want a smartphone that is easy to hold in one hand, and move the thumb easily to the corner of the screen. The other manufactures can do what ever they like, and be this "Where Their market is going" so if everyone that have complained about a bigger iphone can just give up for goodness sake, because its not going to happen anytime soon or ever, I hope. I like the phone as is.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
There is a big difference between a 7.9" display and a 4.5" display. I don't know how anyone can actually use an ip5 to surf the web with that tiny chocolate bar screen. 4.5" is the minimum size i can stand, the perfect size is around 4.8", i would go bigger if it was practical.

That there is the key. The iPhone 5 is as big as Apple can currently make it while still being practical for the majority of people.
Now this is Apple's opinion, and they might change it in the future, in which case they'll make a bigger phone. But for now, this is how it works

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I think you're correct.

I think there needs to be two iPhones.

4" long and slim like now.
5" or slightly larger for those that like a large form factor.

Apple's clearly shown that they struggle to produce the iPhone 5 is sufficient quantities to meet demand. Why not bifurcate the iPhone into two models. Separate their ship dates by 6 months so that there's always an iPhone coming every 6 months. Cycling between large and slim every half year.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I think you're correct.

Apple's clearly shown that they struggle to produce the iPhone 5 is sufficient quantities to meet demand. Why not bifurcate the iPhone into two models. Separate their ship dates by 6 months so that there's always an iPhone coming every 6 months. Cycling between large and slim every half year.

I'm so glad you don't run Apple, it's crazy.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm so glad you don't run Apple, it's crazy.

Attack the message not the person. No one can glean from your riposte any shred of reasoning. I'm all ears.

Why wouldn't a two iPhone strategy work? Especially considering we have that now with

Two 3.5" models and now a 4" model. That's two phones right there.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I think you're correct.

Well I'm glad you're one of us and not up there in corporate. That's a terrible idea.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
OP is correct... Bigger iphone is needed, or else Apple stock will continue to go down and eventually end up like RIM for failure to make changes

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
It's funny how most of you think Apple is a regular company, keep in mind this is APPLE.

They do so as they please, regardless of what most people are doing.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Well I'm glad you're one of us and not up there in corporate. That's a terrible idea.

Why? I've yet to read a solid reason why Apple shouldn't do what EVERY other phone maker does by catering to a larger market.

Remember this?

Apple1984.jpg

Let's not become IBM guys.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
The one handed use argument doesn't hold much water anymore. It's very rare that I see anyone using their iphone with one hand, no matter what they're doing.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Return to the compact 3.5" display

Actually Apple "doesn't get it" when it comes to larger displays.

My iPhone 5 has Apple's odd, narrow screen. It's nothing but a way for them to brag about a "bigger display" yet offer no improvement in vertical space when typing in the landscape mode.

The phone itself, is a rather bizarre phallic shape. Perhaps appealing to some, but it's not universal.

Apple needs to go back to their compact tiny 3.5" screen, and let Samsung and others keep us happy with incredibly useful and enjoyable large displays.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The one handed use argument doesn't hold much water anymore. It's very rare that I see anyone using their iphone with one hand, no matter what they're doing.

It's becoming a pretty weak argument. It also means little to say a Baby Boomer that's now 50 years old and has vision issues.

I've got family that left the iPhone because they could no longer read the screen comfortably.

The Boomers are aging and they represent a lot of wealth.

I was there when Apple fell off the first time. I'm not saying that's happening now but I remember there being a serious disconnect with Apple in the 90's They were too busy selling expensive stuff...calling it cool yet customers weren't buying in. Apple created cool stuff that people didn't want.

I don't want to see them go down that path.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.