Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidLeigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Hi,
I'm currently having something problems with Youtube on Safari. Actually i don't use another browser, so i don't know if this is a Safari issue. Most Youtube videos basically don't play and i get a black screen. Doing some search here, it seems it's to do with the HTML5 trial which i am currently in. So what is this? Why wasn't I told at all about it? I don't believe i touched any settings n Youtube.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Hi,
I'm currently having something problems with Youtube on Safari. Actually i don't use another browser, so i don't know if this is a Safari issue. Most Youtube videos basically don't play and i get a black screen. Doing some search here, it seems it's to do with the HTML5 trial which i am currently in. So what is this? Why wasn't I told at all about it? I don't believe i touched any settings n Youtube.

Did this start to happen after the latest Safari update a couple days ago?

DavidLeigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Actually no. It started yesterday (2nd Nov) and i can't say i noticed much before, though i probably wasn't using youtube much. And it definitely to do with Safari update 6.0.2 as i've only just installed that thinking it will fix the problem. However, i don't know if my mac installed anything automatically a few days ago.

Reimer

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
HTML5 trial on youtube is essentially an alternative to using flash for playing back videos. It's an opt-in feature though so I don't know why your safari defaulted to using it.

Not sure why you're experiencing a black screen but sometimes rendering issues like this in browsers can be solved by simply clearing the cache. Maybe you have adblock installed?

chibisukee

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
I am in the html5 trial and most of my videos play.
I am using Safari 6.0.2 with flash player enabled - some videos play via html5 and some via flash player.

You can opt out here and see if it makes it better though.

wabbit42

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I was having trouble with a few videos so I opted out and now all those videos ae working again, so just opt out :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.