Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unbdm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
has anyone tried the hue light bulbs / ipad control system? they look cool, a bit high priced, but it might be fun for the kids rooms and game room... maybe in some lamps in the front of the house for use when traveling.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Bought 2 starter packs at the Apple store today. Fairly easy to set up the first one at my house. Def think they are a bit pricey but what Apple related toy isn't ... Think the software interface needs a little bit maturing in terms of separating the controls for individual bulbs. All in all I think it's pretty cool so far.

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
anyone has these? if you turn them as bright as you can (white light) do they make a buzzing sound if you listen next to the bulbs?

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
anyone has these? if you turn them as bright as you can (white light) do they make a buzzing sound if you listen next to the bulbs?

I have been using them for two months and have not heard any buzzing noise at all. They work good but as another poster said, the interface leaves a lot to be desired.

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I have been using them for two months and have not heard any buzzing noise at all. They work good but as another poster said, the interface leaves a lot to be desired.

I have them but if I turn them to the whitest light (hue app where the white meets the blue) turn up the brightness to max, I hear a faint buzzing if the room is quiet and I'm close to the bulb. Any other color or if it's not max brightness there's no buzz. Can you test this? I'm not sure if mine are faulty or if every HUE is like this. If it's just mine I'll return these.

Last edited:

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I have them and love them! -

Have six bulbs now and love that there are already 3 Mac apps and 6 or so iOS apps - all third party - there is an active development community behind them which makes them so much more than the first party app will allow currently.

I can't go back after using these - they rock

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
I have them but if I turn them to the whitest light (hue app where the white meets the blue) turn up the brightness to max, I hear a faint buzzing if the room is quiet and I'm close to the bulb. Any other color or if it's not max brightness there's no buzz. Can you test this? I'm not sure if mine are faulty or if every HUE is like this. If it's just mine I'll return these.

I do not have this issue. I have 3 in the ceiling fan in my bedroom (don't judge me and my colored strobe effect in my bedroom) and 2 in the living room lamps. None make any buzzing noise. And the 2 in the living room were just purchased last week. I did this test just as you said, brightest setting on pure white.

philamac

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I can hear buzzing in all of mine, especially when turned up, but I either have to be really close to the bulb, or the room has to be dead silent. At that point, I can also hear my TV hum, my fridge, and all sorts of other electronic stuff too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.